Skip to main content

C.A.: the review 4 (part 2)

The past week, while you were voting for the first card to advance in the fourth version of Cardboard Appreciation The Review, I was enduring some rough times at the night owl nest.

I got sick with a disturbing ailment that fortunately should be temporary. My daughter found out she's losing her job. The head honchos at my place of employment became even more unhinged than I thought they were. It's as if everything that people were complaining about the year 2016 came to roost right here all in one week.

But this is a new week, and we're rolling with the punches, and we have the first winner of our Cardboard Appreciation vote-off! Things are looking up!

Let's get a good look at the winner:


Got an eyeful of those ears?

The legendary Don Mossi, of course, advances to the next round.

Here are the vote totals for Part 1:

1. 1956 Topps Don Mossi, 16 votes
2. 1981 Topps John Pacella, 12 votes
3. 1952 Topps Andy Pafko, 8 votes
4. 1982 Fleer Darrell Jackson, 7 votes
5. 1981 Fleer John Wathan, 6 votes
6. 1977 Topps Dennis Eckersley, 4 votes
7. 1981 Fleer Rodney Craig, 4 votes
8. 2008 Wacky Packages Flashback 2 Screech Tape sticker, 0 votes

That's the power of Don Mossi, knocking down a personal favorite like the '81 John Pacella and an iconic card like the '52 Topps Andy Pafko.

So who's it going to be in round 2? I have to say that I think this one will be a rout and potentially all the way to the final. But that's way too early for that kind of talk. That's why they play the game, right? Or feed the penciled-in circles into the computer that looks like a video arcade game from the '80s after you vote, anyway.

Here are the next eight candidates:


1. 1977 Topps Bill Buckner: I think of Bill Buckner as a young, speedy, hairy-chested Dodger, not as a Cub or broken-down Red Sox first baseman. If you think the same, maybe you want to place your vote with this card.


2. 2003 Topps Hideo Nomo: This card, featuring Hideo Nomo at the height of his spectacular wind-up, was displayed as a tribute to my dupes box and stacks. I couldn't find this card in my very orderly binders, so I went to the dupes box/stacks, which produced this card ... and then produced this card again.



3. 1976 Topps Jim Burton: Do you know the first card your brother pulled of his favorite team in 1976? I do. It was Jim Burton here. Who's Jim Burton? We asked ourselves that question all of 1976.



4. 1981 Topps Ken Landreaux: This card is notable not only because Landreaux would later become a Dodger, but because Keith Olbermann says that's his pant leg and jacket sneaking into the frame.



5. 1982 Topps Denny Lewallyn: This card kicked off my One-and-Done series, which later became my One-Card Wonder series. This is where I determine which cards in a set feature a player who received only that card among major sets issued (I need to do another one of these soon). In the 1982 Topps set, Denny Lewallyn is the only player who appears just in that set.



5. 1973 Topps Pat Corrales: All right, readers, should I call the contest now? Is this our winner? It feels that way to me. This, despite all of the running-lane "plays at the plate" we have these days, is how much collectors enjoy home plate collisions.



7. 2008 Topps Stadium Club Ichiro Suzuki: I featured this card while wondering whether Topps was really resurrecting the Stadium Club brand in 2014. It turns out they were. And it has remained, as an unqualified hit, easily the best-looking set produced today. But Ichiro could have told you that.



8. 1961 Topps Jim Golden: You may have never heard of Jim Golden, but you cannot dispute that he boasts one of the most bad-ass rookie cards of all-time. He looks positively unhittable.


Those are the 8 for group 2. There is a poll ready to go on the sidebar. I welcome your vote. I welcome your thoughts as the night owl gang digs out from last week's mess. But we're a hardy bunch, we'll be fine. Just as long as I still get to write about baseball cards.

Comments

Jamie Meyers said…
Don Mossi was called "The Sphinx". Cool nickname. His 66 Topps is pretty memorable as well. He lives in Idaho and still answers his fan mail.
Robert said…
So far the Corrales isn't the run away winner. If it wasn't for that card, the Ichiro would have my vote.
Utility Man said…
That's HOF Ferguson Jenkins that just rolled Corrales! Horizontal action shot, in the fantastic 73T set, future manager in his playing days, HOF pitcher in a home plate collision, umpire in shot in midst of a flamboyant out call, the unforgettable mustard Padres uni (love them or hate them, they're one of the remarkable uni's of the generation). That card has so much going for it!
Utility Man said…
I had to know- thanks Retrosheet! On 6/14/72 at Wrigley, Jenkins singled off Steve Arlin in the second inning. When Don Kissinger followed with a double to left, Jenkins was out trying to score, Leron Lee to Enzo Hernandez to Corrales. Jenkins gave up 7 runs in 6 innings, but got credit for the Cubs' 12-9 win.
EggRocket said…
That's a classic 1973 Topps; and that Ichiro photo is 1973 Topps-worthy. But I went with Golden. 1961 is growing on me lately and that is one heckuva photo for its time.