Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: 1993 Topps Stadium Club Marquis Grissom

(Does every team still hold "Fan Appreciation Day" at the end of the season? I would HOPE so. With the cost of going to a ballgame lately, it's the least a team can do. In fact, what SHOULD happen are weekly "Fan Appreciation Days." How great would that be? A salute to the fans in Seattle one week, Arlington another, Cincinnati another. Anyway, this fan appreciates baseball cards. And these are my all-time favorites. This is the 7th in a series):

I'm a sucker for blue. And I'm not alone. Blue is consistently voted the most popular color in periodic polls on the subject.

Of course, my favorite team features one of the most recognizable blue uniforms in sports. But that's not why they're my favorite team (I'll post on how that came to be some day). The old Houston Oilers of the NFL wore baby blue uniforms. And that IS why they were my favorite team. My current favorite NFL team is the Bills, and they wear blue. My favorite hockey team is the Sabres, and they wear blue. Blue and sports just go together.

And that's why this card is so great. Marquis Grissom dressed in blue, posed perfectly against an all-blue backdrop. Portrait shots can be annoying. But this one works great. When Stadium Club comes up with photos like this, it is at its best.

Grissom was far too talented of a player to be traded as often as he was. He was basically a victim of his modern environment as teams like the Expos and Braves restructured and reconfigured their teams. He was traded four times in deals that involved David Justice, Tony Tarrasco, Roberto Kelly, Kenny Lofton, Alan Embree, Devon White, Mike Fetters, Ben McDonald and Jeff Juden.

The number of times Grissom was asked to pack his bags might have caused him to wonder if he was really appreciated. Don't worry about that, Marquis. I appreciated you (especially in 2002 when you were with the Dodgers). And I appreciate your 1993 Topps Stadium Club card.

Comments

--David said…
You know, it just occured to me that in today's tech-savvy world, card companies may soon pose everyone in front of a blue-screen and then simply chroma-key in whatever background they want to. That would be a bummer. I love the blues, too. :-)