Skip to main content

Score!

That's what I did when I opened my mailbox on Halloween. But, trust me, I did not yell "Score!"

Since I'm not allowed to touch any of my daughter's Halloween candy (I'm sure she has every last piece inventoried in her head), the box I received from Hand Collated on Friday was my treat for the day. And it was filled with Score cards!

We worked out a trade and I sent him some A&G and some other stuff (including some cards that were meant for someone else. Oops! But Scott sent them right back!), and he sent me a bunch of Dodgers, as well as several '78 and '83 Topps cards to help me get closer to completing those sets. Since Hand Collated did such fine work today breaking news on the 2009 Upper Deck set, I thought he deserves a little more PR.

A few things you probably already know about Hand Collated: he's on top of what's going on in the hobby, he's a hockey fan (and that is awesome), he's got a BUNCH of cards, and he's got a BUNCH of Score cards.

I was happy to take some 1988 Score off his hands, because as I've mentioned before, I'm really liking that set. Look at those colors up there! That's fantastic. If Upper Deck Baseball Heroes had done that -- include all the different colors as part of the base set instead all those pain-in-the-neck parallels -- I'd be buying packs of BH like mad. You missed out UD.

One of the many 1988 Score Dodgers I received is Mike Ramsey. I have zero recollection of this guy, which is rare for me when it comes to Dodgers. But a quick scan of baseball reference explains why. Ramsey played in 48 games for the Dodgers in 1987, and then his major league career was over. I was way too immersed in the social scene in '87 to pay attention to anyone who played one-third of the season. Sorry I missed you, Mike.

Hand Collated also sent along several 1989 Score Dodgers, including this great card. I forgot Sutton returned to L.A. for his final season in '88, pitching all of 16 games. This must be the last card for Sutton. Good stuff.
An Upper Deck Masterpieces card of James Loney was sitting atop the stack of cards. That was a nice touch. I'm still on the Masterpieces fence, but I like this card.

I'm hoping the Dodgers re-sign Raffy for next season (by the way, I have a poll up on the sidebar. Those of you who are Dodger fans, or who just want to practice voting for Tuesday's big event, please voice your opinon. I'll post about the results when the time comes).

I already have the 2007 regular-issue card, but not this card with this back:

LOVE the red lettering. You know me and night stuff. The red looks like a neon light glowing in the dark. Cool. I received several other red-letter variation cards in the trade. Very nice.

I also received several 1980s Dodgers from Donruss, Fleer, etc. My collecting got a little lax in the '80s, and Donruss and Fleer suffered the most. Here's a look at Lopes, who received his second World Series ring last week as a member of the coaching staff for the Philadelphia Phillies.

1983 Fleer Mike Scioscia. It's a little disturbing how large Mike has gotten since his playing days. You'd think having Tommy Lasorda around all those years would set off the warning flag for Mike. But maybe it was just the opposite. Too much Tommy, too much food.

Hand Collated supplied seven cards from the 1978 set that I needed. Just five cards to go! (#2, #159, #535, #577, #688). Look at that great mane of red hair on Garrett. And the fantastic Montreal Olympic Games logo on his sleeve.

Finally, I received 10 cards for the 1983 set that I'm trying to complete (no doubt the best Topps set of the 1980s). This is a key card in the set. I like how they found similar poses of Reggie.

A big thanks to Hand Collated. He really helped cut down my want list.

Comments

gcrl said…
i like score for reasons i will soon divulge - it has something to do with the sutton card you showed.

nice haul.
Anonymous said…
Glad you liked 'em and that they arrived safe. I actually laughed looking at former Reds in Dodger blue when I pulled some of those 80's card.