Skip to main content

Hey there, 1940s

  
Here is what I know about the 1940s, off the top of my head:
 
World War II, Pearl Harbor, D-Day, the atomic bomb. Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier. The Dodgers' emergence as an iconic baseball team.

I can name all the World Series matchups, though you might have to give me some time on 1942, 1943. Mickey Owen's dropped third strike. Cookie Lavagetto, Bill Bevens, Al Gionfriddo's catch. Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak and Ted Williams hitting .406 in 1941. I know most of the stars of 1940s MLB.
 
The Andrews Sisters. Glen Miller's Orchestra. My grandmother used to talk about Glen Miller a lot. Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby. The songs that played on WECK in Buffalo in the 1980s, which were the "golden oldies" of that time (as opposed to "oldies," which was '60s music). It's A Wonderful Life. White Christmas. Johnny Marks' Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
 
I know my mom was born in the '40s. So was my uncle. He's still around. And I know some of the card sets from the '40s. And that's about it. Off the top of my head anyway.
 
From a collecting standpoint, my cut-off has always been the 1950s, as far as interests. Anything from that decade forward is where I can form a connection, which means everything to me in my hobby. But in the last year or two I've ventured into the 1940s, a little out of necessity -- many of the remaining interests from the 1950s-1980s have become too unavailable. The '40s cards haven't -- at least not the super famous '40s cards anyway.
 
And now, thanks to an envelope from Bo of Baseball Cards Come to Life! I have entered the world of 1940s baseball stamps.
 

These are three stamps from the 1949 Eureka Sportstamps "set," TCDB tells me. They are just a little larger than your average postage stamp and blank on the back.
 
There are 200 different stamps and, of course, the Dodgers have a lot -- more than one-tenth of the set. I doubt I'll pursue any others but it's very cool to have something this old.
 
I guess that's the appeal of collecting really old stuff and I have just enough to satisfy that interest, a tobacco card here and there, etc. 
 

 Bo also continued the stamp theme by sending these two 1955 Golden Press Stamps. Somebody, probably a long time ago, cut off the white border edges of each of these. I have the Zimmer already with the borders intact.
 
By now you're asking, aren't there any cards in this post? And I'll ignore your impatience but still grant your request. Of course there was.
  

A former need for my 1983 O-Pee-Chee set. Hey now, that's a quality send! I'm beaming like inset Tony Pena!
 
 

And here are three ex-needs for my 1987 Fleer set! All rookie cards. It's crazy that people are still holding onto cards like this as these were among the final 100 cards that I still needed.
 
I invite you to check out the newly updated 1987 Fleer set want list on my blog or check it out on my TCDB page, too. I really don't want to buy a whole '87 Fleer set just for 80-or-so cards nor want to grab them card by card. But I'll do what I must. I just need to get this guy done.
 
So there you are, I just zoomed through 40 years of cards in this short post. Interestingly, one of the reasons I have ignored the 1940s for so long is that when I was growing up in the '70s and '80s it seemed like ancient history, being 40 years prior. Now, the 1980s are 40 years ago and I guess some consider that decade ancient history.
 
But that's too depressing to talk about.

Comments

I'm sure this is offensive, but I like the Pena best. Followed by Sierra, Finley, and Bonilla. The older stuff is cool, though, and I'm super glad you have them. Good luck as ever and always with the set builds. I'm not sure I can help but will check.
bryan was here said…
Love these. I'm pretty sure the only Golden Press stamp I have from that set is Dale Mitchell, when he was with the Indians. I might have a Lou Boudreau in the Eureka set, I recall finding one at a card show back in the 80s.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Some big-time 1986 Topps lighting going on with those stamps. Not night photos since the lights aren't on but it's certainly late enough in the day for the flash to overpower the sky.
GoldenEagles555 said…
I was sure we'd match up on some 1987 Fleer as I have an entire stack of them for trade (or giveaway in your case) but nothing unfortunately.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Also those Eureka Dodgers images are WAY better than the Giants photos which are all almost jail mugshots.
Zippy Zappy said…
For me personally this isn't further back in time enough. Need to go back to the 1890s.
Bo said…
Vintage is addictive! The more you get of one decade, the more the preceding decade becomes tantalizing.

Glad you like them!
Fuji said…
Oh man... looking back at the 80's for my students is like me looking back at the 40's when I was in middle school. That's crazy. Appreciate you pointing that out. I knew about some of the stuff you listed like WWII and some of the more famous baseball feats like Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier, DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak, and Teddy's .406 season. Most of the other stuff I was familiar with, but wouldn't have been able to pinpoint the 40's as the decade as a teenager. I definitely couldn't name all of the World Series matchups. That's impressive!

The music thing is an interesting topic. Although I am sure some of my friends were familiar with Glenn Miller, Bing Crosby, and Frank Sinatra... none of them listened to it. Or if they did... it wasn't around other friends. But with this generation of middle schoolers... I feel like I have a few students in each period who have an appreciation for 80's music.
Billy Kingsley said…
For me WWII and previous was "old" and anything after WWII wasn't. This isn't based on any metric or anything, just what it seemed like to me. With the old cards from before I got into the sports or even before I was born, the primary draw for me is learning about what came before. It's also cool just to see how far back you can collect. Right now my oldest card is from 1887 and I don't think I can get much older than that, at least not unless I win the lottery.
Old Cards said…
Another thing to remember from the 1940s is the playing time Ted Williams missed while serving in the military during WW II. He missed 3 full seasons (1943, 1944, and 1945). He also missed most of 1952 and 1953 serving in the military during the Korean War. Just think of the career stats he would have had.
Jafronius said…
Nice cards (and stamps) from Bo!
GCA said…
I guess a lot of us think of 1980 as the dividing line between vintage and modern. (Though I'd say it's vintage vs. 80s, then junk wax, then the 2000s, 2010s, and THEN modern at this point). Did the collectors in the 60's and 70's think of 1952 as their dividing line between old stuff and regular cards?