Skip to main content

They all look the same

 
Just a quick observation while I'm dealing with more visiting and various summer activities.
 
I received these two 2026 Bowman cards from The Shlabotnik Report about three weeks ago. They were my first look at this year's Bowman. I don't buy those cards anymore.
 
One of the many reasons I don't is because Bowman has no interest in distinctive designs, which can be attached to a respective year. They look far too similar to me every year.
 
In general this is an issue with modern cards. Having grown up with cards in the 1970s, I need my cards to look vastly different from year to year. So it's a generational thing, I have a feeling.
 
So when I saw the two 2026 cards I thought they didn't look any different from the previous year ... or the previous five years. And then I realized it has been this way now for 15 years.
 
 

This is a Bowman card from 2011. Those of you who were collecting then know that Bowman liked its black borders at the time.
 
The 2011 set was the 10th straight year of some sort of black border, although technically the true black border Bowman run didn't start until 2003 and lasted through 2011.
 
Admittedly, it got a little tired as far as a design. This is when I was still buying Bowman packs.
 
But this is what has arrived since:
 

That is one card from each year of the main Bowman set from 2012 through 2026. Fifteen years. Looks pretty similar to me. Maybe I just don't like subtlety. I did start collecting with 1975 Topps, you know.
 
But if I jumbled all of the cards above so the years were mixed up, would you be able to pick out each of the years correctly? Maybe I should have shown that instead of letting you know they were in order.
 
More power to you if you know exactly which Bowman design goes with each year. Bowman was made for you, man.
 
But again, I don't think anyone is buying Bowman for the design. 

Comments

That would make for a quick and easy contest to put together :)
Glad you needed those cards, anyhoo :-D I stopped picking up singles from the Bowman base set a few years ago but I'll still buy a blaster each year. Go figure. I like picking up the prospects especially if I pull someone I'd seen in the minors. If Pro Debut was available in a configuration other than a hobby box, I'd buy that instead of Bowman.
John Bateman said…
Agreed- Though Bowman had kind of been following/mirroring the Topps design - Just like Topps they had all white borders from 2012-2014 - Then Topps went away from all white borders 2015-2020. And so did Bowman for a while. We finally get a divergent in 2020
2020 Bowman white Topps No
2021 Bowman white Topps Kind of
2022 Bowman No Topps white
2023 Bowman No Topps white
2024 Bowman No Topps No
2025 Bowman White (fade) Topps White
2026 Bowman White Topps 1/2 White fade
Jeremya1um said…
Heck, from about 1998-2011, I feel like they looked similar as well, especially from 1998-2000 with the fake autograph running up the sides.
Nachos Grande said…
Yep, the Bowman brand is in a weird spot for me. It's too much of the same to be interesting yearly, but it's also too different yearly to be consistent (a la Allen & Ginter's design). I guess it's not for me.
Zippy Zappy said…
"But if I jumbled all of the cards above so the years were mixed up, would you be able to pick out each of the years correctly?"
2012 to 2019, yes.
2020 to now, no.
Hmm, I wonder what happened...
Bo said…
Pro-level "define the design" challenge!
Billy Kingsley said…
I feel the same way about Panini Prizm and Select brands. They all look mostly alike. If I was into baseball I would feel the same as the Bowmans. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, but there's nothing special about them either. The one dead center in the group shot looks very much like 2017-18 O-Pee-Che hockey.
Fuji said…
I didn't see one Bowman design from the past 15 years that stood out enough for me to identify. That being said... I probably couldn't identify any of their designs from 2000 moving forward.