Skip to main content

If that really IS your name ...

 
I'm taking inspiration for this post from The Shlabotnik Report. OK, it's outright copying, but I can claim it's a Blog Bat-Around and it's all good.

Shlabotnik's post listed the most common surnames according to the 2010 U.S. Census (this made me wonder if there was a 2020 U.S. Census and there was but apparently that same stat hasn't been updated, or I just can't find it because searching the web is much more of a disaster now). He then found the best Mets player for each of the 10 most common surnames.

I shall do the same with the Dodgers.

Per usual, the "best" can mean a couple different things. Is it the best player overall or a player at his best when he was with the Dodgers? I am going to interpret it both ways, depending on the name, as you will see.

All right here are some names that I'm sure have also been used as aliases a time or two. I'll assume all these guys were using their real name when they were playing.
 


1. SMITH

The best "Smith" for the Dodgers was Reggie Smith, who played for L.A. from 1976-82 and made history as a member of the first 30-home run quartet for one team.

I suppose if Will Smith continues on his current path and stays with the Dodgers for a few more years, he could surpass Reggie, but that's not a certainty.



2. JOHNSON

Here is where the question of "best" first comes into play. Lou Johnson's time with the Dodgers was relatively brief and it could be argued that catcher Charles Johnson was a better player. But Charles Johnson didn't come close to the success of Lou Johnson during his time with the Dodgers. Lou Johnson was a World Series hero for L.A. in 1965.
 
 

3. WILLIAMS

Stan Williams -- who was "The Big Hurt" before Frank Thomas -- is known during his time with the Dodgers for melting down on the mound during the decisive playoff game against the Giants in 1962. But he was a solid reliever for L.A. otherwise.



4. BROWN

Kevin Brown easily wins this name category, even though he had just one nice season for the Dodgers to go with that monster contract.




5. JONES

This is why I have "the best while he was with the Dodgers" rule. There is no way I'm putting Andruw Jones here despite the constant calls for him to go into the Hall of Fame. There were no HOF numbers for Jones when he was with the Dodgers. He didn't even hit replacement-player numbers. Therefore Fielder Jones gets the call. He played with Brooklyn from 1896-1900 and hit .300 all but one year.



6. GARCIA

Yimi Garcia gets the nod over Karim Garcia. I have a lot more cards of Karim, but he played in just 29 games for the Dodgers. Yimi pitched in a lot more and had quite a bit of staying power as he continued to pitch in the majors long after his time with the Dodgers.



7. MILLER

The well-traveled Bob Miller is the best of the Dodgers Millers. He was a reliever for L.A. from 1963-67 and enjoyed his best years then. It's my hope that another Bob(by) Miller, currently with the Dodgers, will surpass this Bob Miller, if he can get his arm back in shape.



8. DAVIS

The Dodgers are blessed with quality Davis players in their history. Willie Davis is the easy pick, but there's also Tommy Davis and Eric Davis, too.



9. RODRIGUEZ

Henry Rodriguez would go on to do more damage as a member of the Expos, but he's the best Rodriguez the Dodgers ever paid. Interestingly, I have 61 Henry Rodriguez cards and every single one is from his time with the Dodgers. That's rare as there's always a card from some other team trickling into my collection, especially if they played a lot for a different team.
 


10. MARTINEZ

Pedro Martinez is obviously the better player but the Dodgers had to stupidly trade him away. They kept his brother, Ramon Martinez, and he did pretty well for them anyway, though won't make the Hall of Fame.

All right, that's another team down in this impromptu Blog Bat-Around. I'm not going to lie, that was a little more difficult to uncover than I expected, it's not like this stuff is readily available.

But that's why we bloggers make the big bucks.

Comments

Nick said…
Being the "weird uniform" lover I am, I still look fondly upon Andruw Jones's time with the Dodgers. But it has to have been one of the most ill-advised stints in baseball history. (Dodger fans all seem to remember it well.)
I had considered declaring it a blog bat-around, but low self esteem got in my way. Along with Diamond Jesters this is the third incarnation (that I'm aware of, anyway) and it's interesting to see which players get at least a mention more than once.
Bo said…
I saw this on Diamond Jesters too and thought it was a great idea. I plan to do one for the Yankees.

Andruw Jones was with the Yankees too, and wasn't very good with them either.
Old Cards said…
Nice to see the 60's vintage make a 'name' for itself!
Mike Matson said…
If I do this for the Jays... I would likely find the census info for Canada..
Matt said…
A part of me wishes one of the top 10 names was Henderson, just to see how often Rickey makes the list...