Skip to main content

I came around

 
Completing the 1970 Topps set is not just the end of a set-building journey for me, but the end of a road to realization that took much longer than the approximately seven years I spent completing the set.

I will never say 1970 Topps is my favorite set. Even among Topps sets of the 1970s I can probably put it above only 1979. But I'm a long way from what I thought of the set as a youngster or even in the first year or so of writing this blog. For years I thought it was the dullest, most lifeless set I had ever seen. It looked a lot like 1969 Topps to me, except '69 Topps at least had those little colored circles on every card.
 
Granted, I had grown up on '70s sets, what was I supposed to think? But it took actually attempting to complete it for me to come around. Sure, it's still filled with way too many crew-cut heads but I now know that I would have missed a whole lot had I not collected it.
 
With the binder now complete (yes, I rechecked), I thought I'd go through 10 elements that make the 1970 set worth collecting. I'm not going to discuss design or even the backs (though the cartoons are great). I'll focus mostly on pictures and subject matter, maybe a couple other things.
 
 

1. Starting the set with a team card

Not just any team card, but the team card of the "World Champions". They're not even going to mention the team name -- you should know it.

This was the first of three straight years that Topps began its set with a team card of the previous year's World Series winner. The '70 set marked a new commitment to the team card that would last the whole decade.
 


2. A full team of Pilots for the last time

The 1970 set is the only Topps set where you can find a full collection of players in Seattle Pilots uniforms. The '69 Topps set showcased only a scant few in actual Pilots uniforms and by the 1971 set everyone was a Milwaukee Brewer.
 


3. A healthy obsession, maybe unhealthy obsession, with bats

I've written about the number of bat rack photos in 1970 Topps previously. So many good ones -- Tony Taylor, Harmon Killebrew, Andy Etchebarren, Bob Oliver and others. Then there are the bat grocery carts (Del Unser) and the careful bat selection (Jose Laboy). Displaying multiple bats really seemed to be a thing from the 1950s into the '70s and somehow we lost it and really need to get back to it.



4. Actual background and players in the background

Topps doesn't like backgrounds anymore. But once upon a time its card sets had character. Maybe the backgrounds weren't as artfully presented as Dick Hall's card here, but you could guarantee that they would be interesting.



5. Individual League Championship Series cards

Granted, 1969 marked the first League Championship Series and 1970 was the first time Topps could chronicle them. So it went all-out with a card for each game of each series. Just wonderful and I miss such individual dedication.
 
OK, so Topps didn't know how to spell "squeaker" in the early '70s.



6. Displaying "The Bo pose"

Bo Jackson was 8 years old in 1970, yet somehow ballplayers knew how to cradle a bat behind their shoulders.



7. The return of the Sporting News All-Stars
 
I admit the similarity of the 1970 Sporting News All-Stars to the 1961 ones of the same name gets confusing. This is one case where gray borders come in handy as an identifying tool. But I'm a sucker for the newsprint look on cards.
 
 

8. BUNTS

So, so, so many bunt poses in this set. Every one is charming.



9. Cards that I recall from childhood

I didn't start owning trading cards until 1974 so anything before that trickled into my collection from here or there. Each of these cards were ones I spotted as a youngster, either in my collection or my brother's. They are among the first 1970 Topps cards I ever saw -- probably the moment when I thought, wow, these things are dry.
 


10. A few all-time classics

The 1970 set may not be able to stand up to my favorite sets in terms of the entire set but it can produce individual cards that would appear on any all-time greats list. And you can't say that about any flagship card produced in probably the last 15 years. Or more.

As I mentioned on last week's post when I finished the set, this is the second-oldest major set that I have completed, with '56 Topps in 2021 being the oldest. It feels good and it feels like an accomplishment. The high numbers for this set may not be as tough as the ones I encountered in completing the 1971 and 1972 sets, but it was still a challenge.

I wanted to complete this set mostly to have all of the 1970s Topps sets finished and that is now done. I also have the Topps run from 1970-1991 complete.

So what's next? I definitely want to get that 1992 set, probably will just grab the whole thing. The next long-range project is completing 1969 Topps. I have a good chunk of it but Ryan and Reggie still loom.

And there's the matter of 1967 Topps, which just doesn't seem possible as a completion project. But you just never know.

Comments

Chris said…
I think I share your prior opinion of the '70 set, but there is definitely a lot to like in the set. Congrats on completing it!
Congrats on completing this set.
Anonymous said…
I collected this set pretty heavily as a kid. I still have fond memories of going to Chet's Five and Dime and buying multiple packs and going home and opening them all on my back porch. I would take every slab of gum after opening a pack and stick it in my mouth until I had a tremendous wad.

Cesar Tovar looks like a line drive tore through his mitt.

Thanks for reviving great memories of collecting this set!
steelehere said…
Congrats on completing 1970 Topps. It’s a personal favorite of mine. Looking forward to the 1969 Topps completion post in a few years.
Jeremya1um said…
I have a full 1994 set in a binder and a partial 1993 one if you feel like keeping the streak alive after 1992
night owl said…
I think 1992 will be my stopping point on that end. Maybe 1993, I'll have to ponder that awhile.
Crocodile said…
Congrats on completing this set! I'm 88% there. Now go out get 1992!
Doc Samson said…
Congrats on completing the set, Mr. Owl. I agree with you. Not one of favorite Topps designs. Always thought it looked like a cheap business card from an insurance salesman.
bbcardz said…
I didn't care much for the 1970 Topps design either back in the day but I've been making a serious push the last few years to complete this set and it's grown on me. I'm still just 9 cards away from completion (98.7%). Big congratulations to on completing this set.
Nick said…
I've warmed to 1970 Topps in recent years as well - not my favorite set of the '70s by any means, but still a stellar effort. The Lowell Palmer alone makes it worth a second look.
Old Cards said…
Great rundown! Being a decade behind you, I quit collecting 'cold turkey' in 1969 and never fully appreciated the 1969 and 1970 sets. Still not a big fan of 1969, but the 1970 set in retrospect and especially the way you present it here, looks very nice! I like players in the background, not in the foreground like the 1973 set. As usual, I learn something from your blog. I had to go back and look at 1971 and 1972 to see the team cards leading off the sets.
Matt said…
Congrats on completing the set!
Fuji said…
Congratulations on completing the set! Doubt I'll ever try to complete this set, but maybe I'll build the A's, Padres, and Pilots team sets eventually. When I was in Little League... one of my coaches had us do a stretch that involved "the Bo pose". It's weird, because I just looked at the b&w Bo yesterday while sorting cards and that didn't make me think of the stretch. But seeing Berry did.
1984 Tigers said…
I liked this set quite a bit, mainly because of the playoff cards, high numbers to 720 (biggest set at the time), plus full run of four expansion teams. Notice the semi highs and highs of traded players in their new uniforms (Ray Oyler, Al Downing, etc). Only big rookie was Thurman Munson so not pricey, although the high numbers can be a bear to find in nice shape. My last pick-up was a nice 660 Johnny Bench.

The Dick Hall with Gene Brabender as an Oriole must have been taken 1968 or earlier as Gene was traded to Seattle before the 1969 season. The photo is in old Yankee Stadium.
1984 Tigers said…
One good thing about the 92 Topps set. No gum stains and the white backs were nice to read. Also, you can buy a sealed factory set that has some gold inserts. The Brien Taylor was super hot until he got into a brawl and had his left shoulder torn up.
The Ken Berry with the elbow in the frame is fantastic.
bryan was here said…
I've always liked the '70 set, especially the photos from the last two series. Whether it's Jim Fregosi with the pickup truck, or the Ken Tatum follow through from ground level, that Johnny Bench crouch, or the Frank Quilici with the guy wrapped in a towel in the background, and the various bat rack poses.

Congrats on completing the set!
carlsonjok said…
You didn't talk about the backs, but 1970 has my favorite backs of all of the vintage Topps sets. The bright and happy colors make it easy to read.
Jon said…
For me, the '70 set is the third best baseball set of the 1970's; behind '71 and '72. Grey is not a color I care much for, but I've always liked the border on this one. It's just unique, I guess.