Skip to main content

More color counting

 
Whenever I finish a vintage set that arrived before I started collecting, I let some time pass for admiration purposes and then I go through and pick it apart.

By that, I mean pinpoint the cards that could be upgraded some day. While I'm completing a set that old, I usually ease my condition standards a little because collecting an old set is difficult enough. After some time has passed, I can see that maybe I should have held out for a card in better shape.

Whether I ever do upgrade those is another matter.

I recently finished the 1970 Topps set and I just went through it and, weirdly, the upgrade candidates are in the low numbers. I guess that will help with cost!

While making a list of potentials, I decided to chart a 1970 element that has always interested me and I'm sure it's been mentioned by collectors before.


Why are there just four cards in the entire set that use blue for the team names?
 
The first series lulls you into complacency with Grant Jackson at card #5 and then Renko at #87 and Johnson at #125. It's possible if you were buying first-series packs you pulled some of those blue names and thought they were as common as the red or yellow names. How wrong you were.
 
Meanwhile, Ken Tatum's team name doesn't show up until the final series at card #658!
 
 

Maybe even more importantly, why are there just three cards in the set with green team names?
 
They all show up in the second series at cards 182, 247 and 249.
 
To get an idea of how rare the blue and green team names in the set are, let's look at the four "main" colors for the team names in 1970 Topps.
 

 Those are red, yellow, white and black. These colors are very common in the set, especially the first three.

Yes, that means I counted them.

This doesn't include the prospect cards or anything else other than individual player cards.

RED: 259 cards
YELLOW: 150 cards
WHITE: 123 cards
BLACK: 62 cards

That's about all the information I have about that. Anything more would have to come from a printing expert or someone who has researched this set a little more.

But once again, some of my color curiosity has been satisfied.

Comments

Brett Alan said…
I am pleasantly surprised to report that 2019 Heritage actually did some matching of this! All three of the numbers which had green names in the original did so in Heritage as well. #87 and 125 have blue names as well, although the other two do not. Still, not bad. I'm not going to go through everything in Heritage but it does seem that those colors don't turn up very much.
Sounds like a potential article to me. Of course that means more research :)
bryan was here said…
How about how many Yankees in the set are referred to as "Yanks".
Old Cards said…
I doubt anyone at Topps spent a lot of time deciding which colors to use for team names since their target market was kids. Like the vintage!
Nick Vossbrink said…
Never had enough of these to even notice the cyan or green teams. I almost wonder if it was a mistake and someone just stripped the names onto the cyan plate instead of the magenta or yellow plates—there are after-all a few wrong-color mistakes like that in various sets throughout the 1970s and 1980s.
Fuji said…
I'm with Nick in the sense that I never accumulated enough of these to notice the blue or green print. Interesting topic though. I'd love to find out the reasoning behind the different colored fonts and why certain players received certain colors.
Grant said…
I opened more than a case worth of 2019 Heritage and the cards with blue or green team names made me flip them over to see if they were a team name color variation because they just felt off. This must be why.