Skip to main content

Going back in time

 
I returned to where I grew up yesterday, mostly to say hi to my folks in their final resting place, as well as reconnect with old people and places.
 
I don't get back there much anymore, not for the last five years, which is weird to me as it's where I spent 15 formative years of my life. And it's probably just as well because whenever I go back, I definitely get that "you can't go home again" feeling.
 
For example, this:
 

That yellow house is where I spent ages 6 through 13. I couldn't get any better photo than that because the whole damn neighborhood is getting roads redone and it's hell trying to drive there -- in fact there are those signs all over stating "local traffic only." Dammit, I used to be "local traffic" ... well, if riding my bike everywhere was "local traffic."

I hope whoever lives there now is enjoying the second-floor extension built on the back (I can sort of see it in the picture). That was built by my dad and friends around 1974.
 
Anyway, whenever I go back I try to check up on the old living quarters, I used to live in 4 different houses in N.Y.'s "Southern Tier," and they're all still standing (the yellow house is the exact same color). I also like to check out the local Target to review the card situation (I won't go to the Walmart in my old town, the parking lot and store is teeming with alarming behavior).

After dinner last night I drove over to Target and was disappointed to see absolutely no sports cards in the usual area by the checkouts. It interests me how my Target back home has a pretty constant stream of card product right now while other Targets are wallowing only in WWE and fantasy weirdness.

That gave me a post idea. I'd go back to that Target the next day and take a pic and then go to my Target and take a pic and discuss that on the blog.

So I returned to that Target today to take a picture before traveling back home. However, there was a girl, about 8 or 9, just dominating that section of the display. I wandered away to look at some clothes and when I got back she was still there. Fine, I'm not taking a picture with her in it and then somebody calling the cops, I'll just go back to the toy section -- where I haven't seen cards in probably 15 years -- for no reason at all ...
 


Huh ... Those are cards! (And something concerning called "Chainsaw Man").
 
In normal circumstances, I would have selected a blaster of 2022 Topps. But I have the whole set, so I would be blowing my cash on a few lame inserts and whatever parallel of a Diamondback is in each one of those boxes -- yes, even the hockey ones.
 
 

Fairfield repack it is.
 
Now, for those of you who are concerned over my selection, please know that I haven't purchased or even seen one of these since before the pandemic. FOUR YEARS. (I may have seen one locked up under glass at my local Walgreen's).
 
It was 5 bucks. And 5 buck for 66 cards plus one sticker is a deal I'll take every time for a guarantee that there will be cards coming out of there that I don't have. I mean how have I survived nearly five years without opening a repack box? How has this blog survived?
 
You veterans know what's in these, but displaying the contents is a necessity.
 
 

All-Star stamped thingies. Like locked-up repacks at Walgreen's is a holdover from the pandemic, these useless things are a holdover from mid-1990s "parallels". These will come in handy only if I find a desperate Red Sox or Marlins team collector (the second one doesn't exist) or the same for a Price or Ziegler player collector.
 


A long, proud Fairfield repack-opening tradition is finding the oldest cards in the box. These are those -- no random 1977 card this time. The only ones I needed are the two 1987 Donruss, because that's a set I ignore.
 


This is why I will take a shot at these because 2000s cards (or one late '90s card) always appear and I don't have many of those. Plus, I've interviewed Mabry.



A set that someday I may want to complete -- don't see it happening for a number of years, but I'll have the Mo Vaughn card if it does!
 


Some mid-1990s cards are worth it, too. Thanks to this repack I found out someone named Roger Smithberg made it into a Topps flagship set.



Sure, you'll always get a nice dose of early 1990s Upper Deck in these. But I don't mind getting 1990 or 1992 UD. The 1991 set, though, I've seen that enough for the rest of my days, even if I needed the Devon White.
 


Yep, repacks contain plenty of junk wax and there is not a single card here that I need. But maybe I can paper my walls with it so it can star on Inside Edition.

And often you get a nice pack to open inside the box you already opened:


(Thank goodness it's not 1992 Donruss)

It's possible I never opened a pack of 1990 Fleer before. Yeah, that's because I've considered it one of the dullest sets from that time period but I'VE NEVER OPENED IT.



A Carmen Castillo card is guaranteed in any pack from 1986-91. But I think that Mitch Williams is new to me.



And so is that Don Mattingly!
 
So that was a fun little thing to open after I arrived home from my trip. And I didn't get cranky like after opening a current box of something for too much of a price.
 
But repacks are an every-once-in-awhile thing. Kind of like going back to the old neighborhood is.

Comments

Doc Samson said…
Love the photo of your old house, Mr. Owl! I’m sure seeing it again brought back a flood of memories for you. Looking at those 1990 Fleer cards brought back a flood of memories for me. Like questioning how a set can be so uninspired, mechanical and flat-out dull.
Chris said…
"It interests me how my Target back home has a pretty constant stream of card product right now while other Targets are wallowing only in WWE and fantasy weirdness."

Yup, that's my Target - WWE/MMA, and everything else is MIA. I checked the toys/action figure section - nothing there, either. Would have grabbed at least 3 hockey repacks this summer if they had 'em. Instead I bought one of those Fairfield repacks at the Walgreens near me. Cost more than $5.. and I got the same stuff you did :/

1990 Fleer perplexes me on some level because it has a number of details that I should like... Heads sticking out of the top of the frame, somewhat colorful borders, team logo... and yet the whole thing is a big pile of "meh" (and this from someone who loved Fleer through most of the 1980s)
We sold our family home 2015, original owners since 1965. Whenever I'm back in town I avoid going to see it. Lots of wonderful memories there, but I don't want to think about someone else living in it.
carlsonjok said…
As the owner of 3 chainsaws, that Chainsaw Man doesn't distrub me, but I imagine poor Groot up there isn't real happy.
John Bateman said…
Recently noticed Target had Topps Series 2 in the Toy Aisle.

I agree with Shlabotnik Report - It should be rated higher but I think what it is- Fleer gave us 1984 Fleer with all of its whiteness and color and they did it again in 1988 but it was a lesser version of 1984. While 1990 is a lesser version of 1988.
I know how much you are wanting my comment on the repack, but not happening tonight. I did however, just notice your trademark at the bottom. Cool!
Jamie Meyers said…
My parents were the original owners of their house that was built in 1955. My mother died in the summer of 2022 and my summer of 2023 was consumed with cleaning the place out and selling it. Since the day my childhood house became owned by a complete stranger and I'd be a trespasser there I have not even returned to that town, much less the house. I dream about it a lot though. On the other hand, I live in a place that was a childhood house of a couple women who are complete strangers too. Now it's a different color and I'm sure they'd be disturbed at the changes I've made here. Circle of life?
Fuji said…
I live three miles away from my parent's old house. I've probably driven by the place 4 or 5 times since they sold it back in the late 90's. The last time was two summers ago when my dad came up for my brother's birthday. He was shocked at how different it looked. Lots of upgrades over the years. Plus they ripped out the three birch trees in the front yard... and the persimmon tree my father planted. We only parked there for a few minutes, but it was a very memorable conversation. Maybe I'll visit it again in another 8 or 9 years.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Hehe I opened one of these recently too. Lots of fun. Zero fodder for the blog. I'm impressed you got a post out of yours.

Definite mixed feelings on 1990 Fleer for me. It's the first box I ever ripped. And I'd forgotten all about ripping it when I revisited my cards. Definitely a dull set but oddly enough it ends up being a really good one for autographs because of the dullness.
dayf said…
never see five dolla repacks anymore and the house i grew up in got bulldozed for a crummy mcmansion farm
one of the houses i lived in and a couple of apartments might still exist tho... maybe i should take a road trip
there's a comic shop i want to check out over there as well
Jafronius said…
There's only 1 Target I know of that has cards in the Toy section, it's like an hour south of me by my dentist. It's an odd placement, gotta be a prime area for theft.
Jon said…
I'm sure that your parents appreciated you coming to see them :)