Skip to main content

I'll take two!

 
I have no idea who first came up with the two-for-one deal but they're not getting enough credit.

I've been suckered into that pitch probably more than any other in my history as a consumer. It just happened the other day with -- no surprise -- cards.

An ebay seller was selling two 1981 Topps Squirt panels for $2.99. I have no idea whether that's a deal, but for 3 bucks who cares? I needed that Dusty Baker, that's the whole reason I came across the sale in the first place. Yeah, I'll take two!

It's amazing how often two of the same thing comes in handy in my hobby. As a set collector and a team collector, I can use more than one of the same card all the time. A couple weeks prior I ordered a 2023 Allen & Ginter Andre Ethier card that I needed as it's a short-print. I didn't read carefully enough and two showed up to my surprise. But I needed two anyway, to knock one off of the many SP's in '23 A&G!

In the case of the Squirt panels, I doubt I'm going for the full set, but whenever there's an item like this that comes in panels (think Hostess), I contemplate what I want to do and usually it's I'd like to have the panel intact and apart.

With two, you can do that!
 


Now I have Baker in card form and it will slip nicely into a binder page.


And I have a separate Bill Buckner card if I want to chase the set that way and also an intact panel if I want to chase the set that way. (Plus there's a nifty little "FREE Topps 1981 Baseball Cards" that I want to hang somewhere in recognition of Free Baseball Cards).

I did not come across these in 1981. We didn't drink Squirt. We had just experienced the Sprite craze and with 7-Up around already that was plenty (Apparently the drink has existed since the 1930s, so I don't know why it took so long for me to hear about it).
 
But the set features all the players from the era that I like, so I can see collecting it. The panels just barely fit in a one-pocket page. I have an '82 Squirt panel in a one-pocket, and I can put the '81 next to it. The '81s are taller than the '82s. There are also two-pocket pages, with pockets cut top-to-bottom rather than left-to-right, that fit these.
 
Just another great '80s oddball to collect. I'll add it to the very long list.

Comments

Jeremya1um said…
Best thing about it is that unlike many oddballs, they have logos.
A seller at the Hudson show this past Sunday had about 40 of these. I think he wanted $3 each. I passed.
Chris said…
It's kind of funny to me that this post appears on my blogroll at the same time as Crazie Joe's post "Boo To Dupes" :D
Fuji said…
I fell in love with this set after seeing the Rickey Henderson card. I ended up buying two complete sets. One of them I kept intact. The other I separated. I didn't plan on picking up two sets, but both were good deals on eBay.
Jon said…
I liked lemon-lime sodas a lot when I was a kid, but Squirt was never a favorite of mine. As for the cards, I just saw them for the first time within the last couple of months when Fuji posted about his sets.