Skip to main content

My National for 2024 (minus a card or two)

 
The National has come and gone for another year but my National is still in the works.

Longtime readers know that I don't go to the National, I wrote a post about why last year. Though I'll never rule out going in the future, a card-carrying introvert like me won't regret it if he never attends.
 
But usually at this time, inspired by the pictures I see from the National, I acquire some cards of my own. I call it "My National".
 
I'm fortunate enough that I happen to have enough money to spend on cards right when the National is going on, usually birthday-related, but not always. This year I had some money from a Beckett Vintage article plus an unexpected reimbursement check  So I got to acquire cards without blowing cash on plane tickets, gas, tolls, parking, food, lodging and admission, too! 
 
Now, "My National" didn't come without some annoyances, as well. There are still a few cards that haven't arrived due to constant ebay delays that have plagued me all month. But let's focus on the good stuff.
 
Per usual, I'll build to the grand finish.
 

A handful of 2024 Dodgers border parallels. Fifteen years into this blogging thing and I'm still a sucker for solid-color border parallels. There should be more in this picture as I'm still waiting for a couple more aqua Dodgers to show up.
 
 

More modern-ish Dodgers.  Again, I ordered the Kershaw blue-sparkle Heritage card to go with the Betts but it has not showed yet (but should have by now). The Yamamoto completes the main 2024 Bowman team set. The Billy Ashley Score insert looks wildly out of place here but it means just as much. Of course I still need the Piazza from that Boys Of Summer set.
 

These four Heritage short-prints came with the Clayton Kershaw Highlights SP that I forgot to include. They had their own delayed ebay journey. I finally contacted the seller, who said he contacted the post office near him, which told him it was going out tomorrow. That's a coincidence. Oh, and they said the envelope was damaged. Fortunately all the cards appeared intact.



This round of Heritage short-prints had no wild traveling adventures to tell. Not only was it a smooth journey but some unexpected companions joined them on the ride.



This seller always includes extras, and although I didn't need every one of them, I needed all of the above! That's awesome.



This is not a 1971 Fleer Laughlin World Series card -- I just acquired that card a couple months ago. This is the sticker from the 1980 Fleer Sticker set (Padres logo on the back, so we don't need to show that).

It is the last World Series card I need from that sticker set. I've mentioned before that I bought the 1980 Fleer stickers while walking to the drug store and a separate deli to find cards. I immediately turned the stickers over to the cartoon on the back and collected every World Series card/sticker as a set, except the 1946 one.

That set has been short one-card for more than 40 years. No more.



Here is another long-overdue acquisition. Can you believe I didn't have the 1988 Topps Traded set yet? It was the only 1980s Topps Traded set I needed aside from the pain-in-the-butt 1984 one.

I haven't gone through it much, but I'm looking forward to seeing new-to-me photos of familiar players.



I went on a Hostess binge near the start of My National tour. There's another 1979 panel that I got that I forgot to shoot. It's got Bobby Grich/Bob Boone and Davey Lopes on it.

The above three panels all came from the same seller. But he didn't send the 1979 panel up top when the others showed up.
 


I received this L-shaped 1976 panel instead. Now, I needed this panel because I'm collecting all 1970s Hostess in all its forms, but it wasn't what I ordered. When I contacted the seller, he apologized and told me to keep the L-shaped panel and then the '79 panel arrived shortly after! Woo!
 


This is a big one for me.

I've long admired the 1964 Aurovision set, mostly the Sandy Koufax, from afar. For years I didn't really know what it was but thought it looked so cool and so of its time. So very '60s. It's a record, of course, that you can play on a turntable. I have a turntable. I won't be playing it though.

I sort of can't believe I have it, I've been quietly, almost subconsciously wanting it for so long. Here is the back:


That is so cool and just as '60s as the front.

It's not in perfect shape but still really good for how old it is and what it is. My collection definitely got cooler with this addition.


Nothing here cost a lot of money, but this card cost the most. It was the second-to-last card I needed for the 1970 Topps set. It's a high number and a Hall of Famer, so no surprise it would be one of the last.

I've always thought this was a pretty weird photo to choose of Kaline, not one of his better cards.



Finally, this card. It just arrived today.

It also encountered an ebay delay and I was starting to wonder about it. But now I don't have to wonder and NOW MY 1970 TOPPS SET IS COMPLETE!

I will be writing a separate post on completing that set in the next few days but for now know that I have now completed Topps sets from 1970-1991 and this is also the oldest large set I've completed outside of 1956 Topps.

So that was My National. There were no lines to stand in. There was no hour-long traffic jam. I didn't get lost or deal with crowds. But I did get cards I liked.

And really, in my version of the hobby, that's all that matters.

Comments

Old Cards said…
What a surprise ending!! Congratulations on finishing the 1970 set. Gotta be a good feeling to have such a nice complete vintage set.
Chris said…
The actual National is a little much for me(and I probably wasn't meant to attend since the Atlantic City show coincided with my 40th birthday-but Covid canceled it) though I have been to the East Coast National in White Plains. I hoped to go this month but my wife is not well enough so "My National" will involve COMC for the 8th straight year :/
CardBoredom said…
Congratulations on completing the set. Looking forward to the celebratory recap.
Angus said…
Some very nice cards! Love the Gary Carter panel.

Congratulations on completing the 1970 set.

You said you're not playing the Koufax record. Have you looked to see if anyone has put the recording online?

Let me know when we should try to get to our next show.
Anonymous said…
Night owl,

Glad I was able to help you on you 1970 set, especially the McLain AS Card. I didn't get the nice Kaline High number until with a friend at a weekend show in St. Louis in the early 90s while we were going to some Cardinals game in Stl. Cost me far more than book price but was glad to add that 1. Enjoy that catch!
Don said…
Congrats on completing the 70 topps set.
Nick Vossbrink said…
A nice batch of cards here. Auravision is the winner for me. Though I do love the 1988 Topps set with the 1988 USA Olympics cards.
Nick said…
It took a long time for me to track down that '70 Kaline, and mine has about 125 creases on it. Big congrats on finishing '70 Topps!
Fuji said…
A. Congratulations on completing all of those sets... especially the 1970 Topps.

B. Those Hostess panels are awesome! I deleted my saved search on eBay a while back. Maybe I need to start hunting them down again.

C. That 1964 Auravision Koufax is awesome! I love the angle the photographer used. Personally... I think it's the coolest looking record in the set.
1984 Tigers said…
What a cool collection. The last big show I went to was a regional one in late 90s. The only "national" I went to was when the first huge boom was starting in the late 70s. Went to the 2nd ever national at Plymouth MI Hilton. 1981. Was just in awe of seeing so many pre-WWII stuff including tobacco cards.

What variation is that of the 24 Mookie Heritage. That's cool.
night owl said…
It's a Chrome Blue Sparkle variation. They've been in Heritage since 2021.
John Bateman said…
Congrats on the 70 set. I try to complete 10 years ago and stop and sold off the cards I had - i have regretted ever since.
Jon said…
Those Hostess panels are so beautiful. Don't see them nearly enough on the blogs.
Matt said…
Looks like a great National to me!
carlsonjok said…
Congratulations on finishing 1970!

That photo on the front of the Aurovision sleeve is awesome. I wish there were more card images taken from that angle.
Bo said…
Congrats on 1970! I still need the Ryan and about 50 high-numbered commons. All the other stars are out of the way.
Jafronius said…
Great pickups! Congrats on the completed set!