Skip to main content

Retro cards are starting to need their own retro cards

 
I forgot to show off a handful of cards when I made my COMC post a few weeks ago.
 
The cards are all similar, "retro"-type cards from the 1980s.
 
It's interesting now to call 1980s cards "retro". The '80s was 40 years ago and those cards aren't exactly new. Maybe we need retro sets of the retro sets!
 
TCMA cards were the first retros that I knew and the first TCMAs I owned were Brooklyn Dodgers-related ones from 1974 and 1975 (now 50 years old!!). I associate TCMA with the '70s, although they were still cranking out sets in the 1980s.
 
A bunch of other outfits joined them in the '80s and I have a lot of Dodgers versions of those retro sets as well as for other teams. These few COMC '80s retro cards are all Dodgers, though.
 
 

This is a Jake Daubert card from the 1987 Sporting News Conlon Baseball Immortals set, which is "Series 2". There was a Series 1 version in 1986. I'm a big believer in that there are not enough Jake Daubert cards (although if I actually started pursuing tobacco cards, I'd find quite a few).
 
I associate Conlon cards completely with those overproduced 1990s black border cards, so this is a different spin for me.
 

 In typical Conlon (and Sporting News) fashion, there is a lot to read on the back and some great old-timey phrases.



These are from the 1982 Big League Collectibles Diamond Stars set. I probably should just buy the whole team set, it can't be all that much. The cards are the same size as the mid-1950s Topps and Bowman cards and the card stock is just as substantial.



All you could want on the back.
 
 

 Even Topps got into the retro game in the 1980s, reprinting its 1952 set for the first time in 1983.

These aren't as plentiful as the 1991 Topps Archives set and the cards are traditional cardboard rather than the slick feel of the '91 set.
 
 

This is just my second card from that set -- I'm doing worse on this than the original 1952 set!
 
So there, now you've seen all of my COMC order. There isn't a lot left from the '80s that I need as far as Dodgers so these retro sets come in handy once in a while.

Comments

Doc Samson said…
Retro cards are always engaging. Not necessarily retro cards, but Topps’ 1976 Sporting News All-Time All Stars is one of my favorite subsets ever.
bryan was here said…
I always liked those Diamond Classics. I found quite a few of them recently while browsing the dime boxes at my local card shop. TCMA put out a lot of fun stuff in the 70s and 80s.
That 83' Topps 52" reprint set is a tough one. It just keeps getting more costly. I do like the standard card size on them a lot.
Nick Vossbrink said…
The weirdest part of the retro retros is how they're getting spendy on their own terms. Filling in the holes in my 1952 Topps team set with reprints makes sense to me. Spending $10 on the reprint Mays card seems stupid though.
Nick said…
Those early Conlon cards have some of the greatest info on the back, and the writing is just darn entertaining. I imagine a '20s guy in thick glasses with a cigar hanging out of his mouth typing those up.
Old Cards said…
What gets me is having reprint cards graded and offered for sale at high prices!
Michael Ott said…
I love that the stats section on the Grimes card shows career average performance per 225 innings pitched, as though that's a reasonable baseline for comparison. How many pitchers work that many innings these days?
Jon said…
I could be wrong, or maybe just not reading the right things, but it doesn't seem like the late 80's Conlon sets get nearly as much love as they should.
Fuji said…
I remember back in the early 90's (maybe late 80's) a guy came into the shop I worked at and wanted to sell the 1983 Topps 1952 reprint set w/o the Mantle. The owner didn't want it and told me I could buy it. I wasn't interested back then... but I totally would love to own that set (even w/o the Mantle) now.

P.S. Got your care package in the mail today. I'm still opening up stuff from over the summer, but I'm hoping to get caught up with them and thank you posts by the end of September. Thanks in advance.