Skip to main content

My old gang is breaking up

 
Joey Votto announced his retirement yesterday in his usual quirky-and-lovable way.

It was another sad reminder that my old gang is breaking up. First Evan Longoria and now Joey Votto.

I'll explain.

I feel an odd kinship with the rookie class from 2008, at least those players who received rookie logos in 2008 product. That's because I started when they started. I began a blog in 2008, and that was the first year that I was fully into modern cards since the early '90s. I returned to modern collecting in 2005 and 2006 but 2008 was when I became aware of everything, every last dumb product available, because the wonderful blogging world had told me so.
 
So I knew all the rookies that were around that year, hot or lukewarm. You couldn't miss them, card companies were shoving them down our throats. Ross Ohlendorf, Brian Bass, Kevin Hart (no, not the comedian), Chin-Lung Hu, I knew all their names.
 
There were some decent players, too, guys like Jay Bruce, Carlos Gonzalez, Hiroki Kuroda and Clay Buchholz. And there were big-time hopefuls who never really panned out like Luke Hochevar and Kosuke Fukudome (Also, who can forget Topps' boy, Kazuo Uzuki).  
 
But just five guys really made an impact. They've been my guys ever since ... well, OK, I only really collect one of them.
 
Here they are:
 
 
 


Check out that rookie card logo, it looks like something you'd find in your grandparents' house! That's how long I've been blogging folks!

So those five -- Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, Evan Longoria, Joey Votto and Johnny Cueto -- lasted all the way until this year before someone called it quits. Longoria hasn't played this year and said last month he's probably retired. Votto joined him this week.

I feel like Cueto's going to try every possible avenue until absolutely no one wants him. Kershaw and Scherzer, the definite Hall of Famers of the group, could still go a little longer -- or they could retire after the season. It's getting that bleak for the rookie class of '08.

As far as Topps' main product, I have only the rookie cards of Kershaw and Longoria. I know I had the Cueto, and maybe the Votto, at one point, but don't anymore.

Fortunately, in 2008, there were abundant products on packed card shelves so you could find rookie cards of those guys everywhere, as I just demonstrated with the display of Upper Deck Timeline rookies.
 


I think Joey Votto's best-looking rookie card is his '08 Stadium Club card.
 


The less said about the stupid second RC's in Stadium Club that are numbered to 999 (but not the stamped ones as you see here), the better.

Actually, for my money, the best-looking rookie cards of these Five Guys are the ones from '08 Allen & Ginter, the best-looking modern A&G set, I think.





I know that the flagship rookies are the ones that go for the most, but I think it should be the Allen & Ginter cards. With a number of rookie cards to choose from -- if I could only choose one and I'm not going to sell it -- I'd take these. (Fortunately I have them all as the set's complete).
 
It's odd for me to be talking about rookie cards so affectionately because I mostly think they're a pox on the hobby, but they have their uses. I would never get into prospecting so I'm the last person to know whether a new player is going to play 15 seasons or 6 months.
 
For example, take a look at my first mention of each of the Five Guys on my blog:
 
Clayton Kershaw, Nov. 6, 2008
 

That's right, Kershaw's just a question mark. Here's another reason I cut back on my blatant rooting blog posts.
 

Evan Longoria, Oct. 31, 2008


Ah, 2008 was also the year when blog polls worked and mixing up Evan and Eva Longoria was the height of comedy. But I do miss when Halloween meant something to me.

The other first mentions have to do with baseball cards.

Max Scherzer, Jan. 27, 2009


This is what I was mentioning before. I actually pulled the numbered to 999 Scherzer card in this post. I don't have it now, must've traded it to someone who was better at forecasting player performance than me. I also couldn't have predicted the Jonas Brothers would still be a thing.

Johnny Cueto, Jan. 23, 2009


Cueto was first mentioned on my blog when I pulled a redemption card for his autograph in 2008 Stadium Club. It was my first redemption card pull. I ended up getting the autograph seven months later. I owned it quite awhile before, I believe, distributing it in some giveaway.


Joey Votto, March 9, 2009


Out of the five, Votto is the one I mentioned last. I didn't say anything much about him. His name showed up in a box break of 2009 Heritage and I simply listed his name. I had to look up whether I still have this card and I do! Maybe I better sleeve that sucker!

So that was a little scary, looking back on what I wrote in 2008/09. With posts that old, there's always the chance I will think "what the f did I write that for?" and my finger will inch toward the delete button.
 


But mostly what I think about 2008 are the good times and what these Five Guys have brought to the game and the hobby (and admittedly to my wallet a time or two).

We're all getting old, I don't need to say it again. And so is this blog -- like I really thought Chad Billingsley could be the ace of the staff.
 
At least I didn't invest all my money in Micah Hoffpauir cards.

Comments

Mike Matson said…
I like that first SC Votto you showed. The Ginter is nice too. I feel I have the UD one. Of course, need to get more of Votto and an auto...
zman40 said…
2008 was a fun time in the collecting/blogging world!
Brett Alan said…
I agree that the rookie cards from those early A&G sets are very nice.
carlsonjok said…
I would note that another member of the 2008 rookie class, David Robertson, is still going strong,. I loved watching him when he was the setup man for Mariano Rivera.
night owl said…
Robertson's rookie card logo in 2008 appears weirdly on his Bowman card, which is why I never saw it that year.
I collect 4 of those 5 (no Cueto), but th eothers yep. Kershaw is the only one that I don''t have his key rookies. Mhhm? Who do I know that has a spare, lol. wait set and PC, who has 2 spares of each, lol. Have a great weekend.
Doc Samson said…
I met Evan Longoria years ago and got his autograph at a sports convention. Very nice guy. I thought he was going to be a Hall of Famer when he first came up. Obviously he has no chance of getting in now.
Nachos Grande said…
2008 was a good year to get into blogging. Lots of good sets, lots of interesting rookies, and plenty of questionable decisions to discuss online (such as the "multiples of 3" cards in Stadium Club that year as you mentioned). As a lifelong Reds fan, I'm sad to see Votto retire but I'm selfishly a bit happy that he never made it to the Blue Jays big league club. Votto was an interesting guy who really let his personality shine over the past few years, he'll be missed on the diamond for sure.
John Bateman said…
Same Kinship with these players, Anyone from 2008 Topps card logo class I love. Though I collected sporadically between 1992 and 2007, 2008, was when I discovered the blogs. Someone was previewing the 2008 Topps set(A Many Ramirez card) and I was hooked. I own third sets from that year Topps (but not update), Topps Chrome, Bowman + Draft. It was like 1981 again (Topps, Fleer Donruss) to me. The names Evan Meek, Sam Fuld, Steve Pearce, Brian Barton, Nyger Morgan...... In some ways 2008 was like the second coming of my collecting birth (being 1972 Topps).
Fuji said…
I returned to collecting either in 2007 or 2008 and it all started with watching YouTube breaks. At the time I was just as into football and basketball, so my focus was spread thin. But I do remember everyone getting excited over Longoria cards.
Nick said…
I returned to baseball cards in late 2006, but I think '08 was the first time I really tried to follow the rookie crop. As you mentioned, I doubt I could've picked a much better group to start collecting. Very happy I got all my Kershaw/Scherzer/Votto rookies back then, because lord knows I wouldn't dream of paying what they go for now.
Jafronius said…
Sad to see Votto retire...very possible Hall of Famer. Never thought Cueto would be one of the Five.
jacobmrley said…
I jumped on the Max Scherzer bandwagon early, because, well, his name is Max. So my minor hoarding of his rookie cards has rewarded me but like you, the idea of trying to figure out rookie prospects is for the birds. I mean, I have a bunch of Max Kepler rookies too.