Skip to main content

My self-promotion needs work


I think the August-September edition of Beckett Vintage Collector magazine has been on store shelves for three weeks now and I'm just getting around to mentioning it here.

My third article for Beckett Vintage is in the latest edition.  As usual, I had to have other collectors inform me of this. And then because there isn't an adequate bookstore within an hour of me, it took a few weeks to see the article in print for myself. I just picked up a copy yesterday while on a road trip.

I'm getting a little tired of this. If I'm going to be IN the magazine, I should be the one letting people know I'm in there, right?

I'm terrible at this pimping stuff.

So in the next week or so -- when there's money -- I'll finally get a subscription to Beckett Vintage so it will arrive at my mailbox before someone can notify ol' clueless that he has another article in the issue. (Pro tip: the editors don't really tell you when your article is going to show).

My latest story is about the 50th anniversary of the 1969 Topps set.

Although I own a decent amount of cards from that set and it does hold a place in my collecting history -- these were some of the cards I received in a trade for "current" Yankees (1978) when I was a young collector -- I can't claim I'm an "expert" on the set like with the first two articles.

I did my best to research it (who else are you going to get to count the total number of players not wearing caps in the 1969 set?). But I wanted to find someone who collected that set as a kid, so everything wasn't from an outsider's viewpoint.

So I contacted Wrigley Wax and interviewed him.

WW -- a.k.a. Paul -- was great and his quotes are there in the article. I picked up an extra copy to send him so he can brag properly about being in a magazine just like I'm trying to do now.


That's what it looks like for you folks hunting for it in BOOKSTORES EVERYWHERE.

I love saying that.

Also, I am currently writing -- as in writing today -- my fourth article for Beckett Vintage. I really like this one, and I'm hoping it will turn out well.

So, thanks for reading -- both here and in the magazines!

Comments

Commishbob said…
I have the issue but due to a bunch of life-related things it's still waiting to be read (I'll read your article first!). Looking forward to it.

Doesn't Beckett send you (and their other contributors) copies of the issue when it goes to press?
Jonathan said…
I'd really think they ought to send you a copy. At least when your article is in it.
night owl said…
I'm being paid to write about baseball cards. I'm not going to complain about something like that.
Jeremy said…
That's the thing about a lot of magazines; they're actually really difficult to find these days, especially if you are looking for a niche publication. I would be interested in buying a magazine about vintage collecting, whether or not it was published by Beckett. But there is literally nowhere to buy this stuff, and I too would have to travel around in order to find a copy of this if I wanted it.
Bulldog said…
Congrats. Glad to see you get another article published. Too cool.
If you keep this up, there might be a book deal in the future........."Decade by Decade" the best of..... baseball cards written by Gregory Gay. (or year by year). :)
steelehere said…
This site always seems to be the somewhere if you're looking for a publication.

https://www.amazon.com/Beckett-Vintage-Collector-release-Jackson/dp/B01N1PS6JO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ZULHF5TBIVJU&keywords=beckett+vintage+collector+magazine&qid=1565750787&s=gateway&sprefix=beckett+vinta%2Caps%2C213&sr=8-1
Wrigley Wax said…
Glad to help.. looking forward to seeing the article!
Fuji said…
Congratulations on getting your 3rd article published! It'd be cool if the editors kept their writers in the loop in regards to publishing dates. It'd be even cooler if they hooked you up with a complimentary issue.
AdamE said…
Congrats on #3!

Knowing it is a Night Owl article that Graded pack looks really out of place. I can't see you saying "when you publish this would you put a picture of a pack from 69 in it, even better a graded pack, that will really make the article pop. lol
Nick Vossbrink said…
Ok you AND Pre War Cards in the same magazine is a hell of a draw. if Beckett's going to just start publishing all the best baseball card bloggers I might just have to subscribe.
Adam said…
Picked up my copy today. Great article.
bbcardz said…
Congrats on the three-peat! 1969 Topps is one my favorite sets and the first cards I ever bought. My set is almost complete. Looking forward to more N.O. articles.
Sean said…
Congrats on the article!

Its pretty cheap of Beckett to not provide contributing authors with a complimentary copy. I've written stuff published in academic journals/books and its standard practice there to send authors a free copy (unless its an online only publication or a $500 book or something).

On the other hand unlike Beckett academic publishers don't actually pay us anything to write, so I guess there is that trade off. Still, I think they should because who wouldn't want a copy of a magazine they've been published in?