Skip to main content

Readers


We bloggers often characterize folks who comment or trade but don't have a card blog of their own as "readers."

It's an odd description. The bloggers who comment and trade are readers, too. At least I assume they're reading my stuff.

But how else am I going to describe the non-blogger? I can't say "non-blogger Art sent me some cards." That sounds weird. And a little accusatory. I can't say, "this dude who I don't know contacted me and wanted to trade me some cards." That's true, but it's also awkward.

"Reader" is a little catch-all phrase and it also makes me feel good. This person is reading my stuff even though he doesn't have a blog of his own, even though he is not invested in the online card community. He just wants to read my stuff!

If you have a successful blog, you need these kind of "readers." They give your blog the stamp of approval. I am fortunate enough to see quite a few "readers" in my comments, folks who I never see in the comments of any other card blog. And that's how you know a blog has made a connection beyond this little card blogging community.

Every once in awhile one of those readers contacts me and wants to get a trade going. That's what happened recently. "Reader" Mike, who you may have spotted in the comments as "Mike the History Teacher," said he was interested in trading again and would I be interested?

Yes, certainly.

I've almost gotten to the stage where I have caught up on all the card transactions that I owe going back to April. There are still some folks waiting for me to get back into gear, but I felt in good enough form to take on a trade with someone new.

I'm in the middle of gathering cards for Mike (almost done!), so let's see what I needed from the big box of stuff he sent to me.


I'm starting with my favorites from the box. Too often I save my favorites for last. That's unfair to my favorites. All four of these are O-Pee-Chee Dodgers. I didn't have three of them and the one I did have (Monday) was in hurting shape. So glad for the upgrade.



All needed Dodgers from the 1990s parallel brigade. While going through what I needed, I discovered I don't have a card of Greg Hansell's regular 1995 Upper Deck minors card in my binder, even though I've seen that card many times. That means it's sitting in the dupes somewhere and I haven't gotten up the courage to tackle that giant dupes box. It's kinda scary.


All Dodger needs from early this century or late last century. Mike sent a LOT of cards from this period and I was surprised to find out that I had many of them already. I think I've finally surmounted the giant mountain that is late '90s/early '00s cards! Of course, there's that much larger mountain that is nothing but parallels and inserts lurking behind.



Baseball Aces need. I may be able to play a card game with all the Dodgers I've accumulated.



Two more of my favorites from the box just because I was stupified that I didn't already have either of these. I guess this will never stop happening will it?



Mike did manage to send me cards from an early '00s set that I have never seen before -- 2003 Fleer Patchworks. Don't know how it's avoided me for all these years.



Mike likes his oddball cards. Can you tell? I really get a kick out of those Michigan State cards of Gibson and Garvey.



This card had me stumped because I hadn't seen any of this year's Topps stickers yet. Turns out it's the back of this sticker ...


... which will never see the light of day because -- come on -- Chris Taylor is on the other side.



Mike added a few randoms, which I always appreciate. I don't know why I scanned that Sportflics card.



He also ventured into some other sports. I'm still trying to limit my Sabres and Bills collections to cards from when I covered them (1988-1990), the Bills' Super Bowl years (1990-94), the Sabres' red-and-black years, or -- of course -- vintage. I'll dabble in modern packs from time to time, too.


There you go. The top two Bills cards on the left are my very first 1961 Topps football cards.



Here are some lovely ladies, mostly from the world of wrestling. I am impressed that I know most of the names with my pro wrestling knowledge being zero.



Here's a card of potential jail resident, Lori Loughlin. The attorney "experts" aren't saying good things about her escaping jail time. Meanwhile, card dealers are taking advantage. This card, the only one one there, is listed on COMC for 10 bucks.


Owlie!

This is pretty cool, too. It's from some Canadian set from 1962.

I'm appreciative of everyone who reads my blog and those folks without blogs who interact give me a good idea that this blog is a success even a decade after first starting it.

As always, thanks for reading. All of you.

Comments

Billy Kingsley said…
There's a lot of actual bloggers who don't read what I write, haha. One of the first people to start reading what I have to say was Mark Hoyle, probably the most well-known among anyone in the card blogosphere without a blog.
That's a pretty eclectic grouping there. Since I generally don't follow celebrities I'm going to guess Lori Laughlin was involved in that payoff college scheme. Not sure why it's a big deal now when it's been going on forever, but I have not paid too much attention to it so I may be missing key details.
Old Cards said…
Speaking as a "Reader", I do enjoy your blog, mostly when you blog about older "baseball" cards (pre-1976). I have noticed comments made by "Mike the History Teacher" and I enjoy his comments as well. Kudos to Mike, our fellow "Reader",for reaching out to you about trading. He might inspire the rest us "Readers" to do more than just read.
I'm glad there were so many cards you needed, and that I was able to provide a few "firsts" for you. NOC is the only card blog I read regularly, and I don't think I've missed a post since I started reading, probably about five or so years ago. As I've commented before, I really like how you weave together baseball cards, music, nostalgia and life in general.
Mark Hoyle said…
Great bunch of cards. As someone who is a reader. I’ve always tried to throw extras in any package I’ve sent out to bloggers. Kind of a thank you for the great reading material. Always enjoy your posts
Bulldog said…
Hello pretty ladies... Miss Elizabeth! Plenty of great cards. Thanks for sharing and I really like the Bills cards.
Jonathan said…
As a reader, I can't thank you enough for your blog. I accidentally stumbled on one of your posts a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. It took nearly 3 years but I've read every post now and I can honestly say I wouldn't have gotten back into the hobby I love so much were it not for you. I'm sure there are other readers with similar stories, but I've learned more than I ever thought existed about cards simply by reading what you have to say. Thank you and keep up the great work.
Fuji said…
A Lori Loughlin rookie card? Sweet! I've only met a handful of people who have left comments on my blog, but one of the regulars is a "reader"... Mr. Haverkamp. Awesome dude... who has some serious baseball card knowledge. I wish he would start a blog and share it with the blogosphere. Mr. Hoyle too.