Skip to main content

C.A.: 1954 Bowman George Shuba

(Happy 2016 everyone. I've just ventured back from being out of town. In my neck of the woods, it's a bit risky traveling at this time of year and I'm quite relieved to be back in one piece. Meanwhile, I have a backlog of stuff to get to: cards for Christmas, the annual review of the 2015 card year, and some sort of baloney about "my 2016 collecting goals." But first, Cardboard Appreciation! This is the 235th in a series):


I received this beauty from gcrl Jim, who is currently enjoying his blog retirement. The 1954 Bowman set is a pastoral masterpiece and quite underappreciated amid the more loved Bowman and Topps sets of the early 1950s.

The most interesting aspect of this George "Shotgun" Shuba card is the way he stylized the "S" in his name. There is a slash through it as if it's a dollar sign. It's very late 1990s rap of him. (Jim also mentioned this on his blog).

Shuba's signature appears the same way on his 1952 Topps card. It's the only other example I could find of him using a dollar sign to start his last name. I don't know if it's supposed to mean a dollar sign or something else. I'm still trying to figure out why people put slash marks across their 7's.

Anyway, I'm very happy to add another "Boys Of Summer" card to the collection.

Here are some other cards that Jim sent:


A number of collecting interests met there, from Nebulous 9 needs, to night cards to crazy buyback quests.

That's about all I have tonight. Pretty beat from all the driving I've done, so I'll shorten this right up.

See ya before 2017.

Comments

Jeff Jones said…
What hat is Mondesi wearing?
Greg said…
Not sure I've ever paid much attention to 54 Bowman but those portrait shots look pretty good. Might have to seek out a couple of Cubs.
night owl said…
The old Albuquerque Dukes logo.
Unknown said…
Math major here, the slash across the 7 is so we don't get it mixed up with 1 and 2 (if you write as bad as I do)
Anonymous said…
What Chris Po said, plus:
It's very continental.
It looks cool.
Stack22 said…
Thought it may be a Tucson Toro or Phoenix Firebirds.
beefman said…
Vern Wells artwork is fantastic - who paints portraits of Minor Leaguers?

That card stands out the most to me.

Also, happy belated new year!

Nick J