Skip to main content

C.A.: 1967 Topps Arnold Earley

(The best thing I can say about January this year is I've had to shovel snow once. Suddenly all the illness crap and work garbage doesn't seem that bad. No wonder people are so cheery in the south. Here's to freakishly warm weather. And Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 132nd in a series):


Veteran readers of this blog know that I once did a countdown of the best glasses to be ever featured on Topps baseball cards. Then I did a sequel to that, featuring the best glasses on non-Topps cards.

But even though those countdowns were well-received, I felt that they were lacking. I felt like I had only scratched the surface of the best glasses ever to appear on baseball cards.

Then I saw this card of Arnold Earley on Jim From Downington's 1967 Topps blog, and I KNEW I had a long, long way to go before determining the all-time best glasses ever to be featured on baseball cards.

I have taken the first step to achieving that goal, by obtaining this very card of Arnold Earley. What a magnificent card it is. It will make the countdown, guaranteed.

But that's not all. This card is on its way to me one way or another:


This is easily a top 10 or probably top 5 candidate. I can't wait to study those pink Cat Woman frames while cradling the card in my hands.

But even that's not all.

Weather-permitting, I will have a card show to go to this weekend. One of my objectives at this card show, will be to hunt down cards like this:


I am not messing around, people. This is going to be the Best Damn Countdown of the Best Glasses in the History of Baseball Cards.

It's going to take awhile to get them all organized. But I'm already looking forward to making the list.

Stay tuned.

Coming in April ...

(Yes, I said "April")

... THE BEST GLASSES IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL CARDS.

Period.

Arnold Earley says so.

Comments

Robert said…
What better way to start the regular season than a countdown of the best glasses of all time!!

Looking forward to it...
1967ers said…
1967 Frank Howard. I can't even describe them: http://natscards.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/67-topps-frank-howard.jpg
Slangon said…
As someone who wears glasses, I too am looking forward to your countdown. I have a few suggestions.

1956 Roy Sievers (action shot, not head shot)
1967 Bob Veale
1968 Herman Franks
mr haverkamp said…
71 Topps #554 Lowell Palmer....gets no better than that secret agent man!
Night Owl,

Back in 1967, I didn't even like this card (maybe because it was another hatless, big-head shot). But now I do think the glasses are cool. It looks like he should be wearing an Air Force fighter pilot's suit.


Howie Koplitz passed away earlier this month.
Besides Earley, Elia Grba and Ryne Duren (who may just be the same person :) ) along with Cookie Rojas (many years) and Lowell Palmer (70 & 71) should get a mention in the countdown.
TheHitKing said…
You know what is actually hard? collecting the AG celebrity cards and get them sig'd...Like my 4th grade teacher told me, shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still land amongst the stars...
Jason T. Carter said…
I know Kent Tekulve will be among the finalists. And I hope to see Chris Sabo make an appearance as well.

JT (The Writer's Journey)
Cliff said…
These are some great ones. Here are some more:

http://reallybadbaseballcards.blogspot.com/2012/12/hey-four-eyes-60s-version.html

Arnold rules!