Skip to main content

Random posting for the real start of the postseason (2026)

 
It seems like everyone's accepted the latest configuration of the postseason schedule, including me. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised that we began the playoffs in September as in ye olden times, though I know the reason for it is very modern.
 
But I think that this year's wild card round might show that we don't really need it. Yeah, yeah, I know, more games is good, but the Red Sox, Cubs, Astros and Phillies didn't look like playoff teams to me. We could've just skipped that round to what we've got right now.
 
Which is what I'm going to do. It's been tradition the last three years to feature the oldest, newest and a random card from my collection for each of the teams remaining in the postseason once the wild card has finished.  
 
As in previous versions, several teams appear year after year, so I've already covered their oldest card in my collection. In those cases, I go to the second-oldest, third-oldest, etc.
 
RAYS VS. YANKEES
 
Tampa Bay Rays
(Cards in my collection: 801. Overall rank: 32nd)
(Cards in my collection including the "Tampa Bay Devil Rays": 905. Overall rank: still 32nd)
 
 

Oldest Rays card in my collection: Rob Butler, 1998 Flair Showcase, Wave of the Future
 
That's how young the Rays are, a gimmick card from the late '90s is the "oldest". Technically it's around the third-oldest in my collection as the Rays keep showing up in the postseason.
 
I keep waiting for this card to leak, but it's still intact.
 
 

Newest Rays card in my collection:
Taylor Walls, 2026 Topps
 
Series 2 is the most recent thing I've opened, so several of these "newest" cards will be from 2026 Series 2.
 
 

Random Rays card in my collection: Randy Arozarena, 2023 Topps Heritage. Part of me thinks Randy Arozarena still is on the Rays. Maybe he wishes he was still on the Rays.
 
 
New York Yankees
(Cards in my collection: 4,404. Overall rank: 2nd)
 
Comparing with last year's post, I've gained 102 Yankees cards in the past year. That's too many.
 
 

 Oldest Yankees card in my collection: Joe Collins, 1956 Topps (This card has virtually no bottom end).
 
 

Newest Yankees card in my collection: Hideki Matsui, 2026 Panini Donruss (Matsui hasn't played for the Yankees in 17 years, thanks Panini!)
 
 

Random Yankees card in my collection: Alex Rodriguez, 2012 Topps Heritage (It's a sad commentary on Fox baseball broadcasters that A-Rod is considered one of the more insightful broadcasters among the Fox crew).
 
Who I want to win: My goodness, the Rays. Part of me wants the Rays to go all the way, because owners.
 
 
GUARDIANS vs. WHITE SOX
 
Cleveland Guardians
(Cards in my collection: 236. Overall rank: 37th)
(Cards in my collection when including Cleveland Indians: 2,987. Overall rank: 16th). Gosh I wish TCDB would merge team name totals when the city/organization doesn't change,
 
 

Oldest Guardians/Indians card in my collection: Marino Pieretti, 1950 Bowman (An appearance of the oldest night card in my collection).
 
 
 
Newest Guardians/Indians card in my collection: Petey Halpin, 2026 Topps (I admit I don't know who he is -- my Guardians knowledge is slim -- but he did get a couple of at-bats in the 2025 wild card series).
 
 

Random Guardians/Indians card in my collection: Bo Diaz, 1981 Donruss (Interestingly he is posing in the White Sox's Comiskey Park).
 
 
Chicago White Sox
(Cards in my collection: 2,988. Overall rank: 14th) 
 
 

Oldest White Sox card in my collection: Orestes "Minnie" Minoso, 1954 Bowman
 
 

Newest White Sox card in my collection:
Chase Meidroth, 2026 Topps (I will stop rooting for them if they break out these horrible connect uniforms in the playoffs).
 
 

Random White Sox card in my collection: Paul Konerko, 2012 Topps
 
People want to act like 2005 was a long time ago, and it was not. It's not, I tell you. Not.
 
Who I want to win: White Sox. It's too good of a story.
 
 
BREWERS vs. PADRES
 
Milwaukee Brewers
(Cards in my collection: 2,729. Overall rank: 22nd)
 
 

Oldest Brewers card in my collection: Ted Savage, 1971 Topps (the Brewers are in the postseason just about every year lately, so I'm just going through my collection of '71 Brewers)
 
 

 Newest Brewers card in my collection: Brandon Sproat, 2026 Topps holiday parallel
 
 

Random Brewers card in my collection: Ted Simmons, 1984 Topps (The Brewers haven't gotten a lot of love from me since the '90s, but if they could somehow capture the charm of the late 1970s/early 1980s Brewers I'd be much happier with them).
 
 
San Diego Padres
(Cards in my collection: 2,739. Overall rank: 21st)
 
 

Oldest Padres card in my collection: Zoilo Versalles, 1969 Topps (an appropriate expression for how I feel that the Padres are still in contention).
 
 

 Newest Padres card in my collection: Joe Musgrove, 2026 Topps
 
 

Random Padres card in my collection: Bip Roberts, 2015 Stadium Club (OK, the most interesting card I'm going to show today).
 
Who I want to win: Please, Brewers, if you want me to take you seriously as a World Series threat, wipe this team out.
 
 
BRAVES vs. DODGERS
 
Atlanta Braves
(Cards in my collection: 3,181. Overall rank: 9th)
 
 

Oldest Braves card in my collection: Sam Jethroe, 1953 Bowman Color (I cheated and went with a Boston Brave, because it was more fun).
 
 

Newest Braves card in my collection: Reynaldo Lopez, 2026 Topps (Lopez has played for three of the teams still alive in the playoffs, but I don't know if he's currently on the roster).
 
 

Random Braves card in my collection: Bob Beall, 1979 Topps (*sigh* I miss the '70s Incompetent Braves).
 
 
Los Angeles Dodgers
(Cards in my collection: 30,151. Overall rank: 1st)
 
 
 
Oldest Dodgers card in my collection: Don Drysdale, 1958 Topps (Staying with L.A. cards and running through the '58s by card number)
 
 

Newest Dodgers card in my collection: Dalton Rushing, 2026 Topps, diamante foil parallel (Picked up at a card show last month)
 
 

Random Dodgers card in my collection: Evan Phillips, 2024 Topps All-Star Game set. (Bleah, these things).
 
Who I want to win: Dodgers.
 
Yes, I'm rooting for the demise of MLB with another Dodgers World Series title. The owners will cling to their salary cap stance more than they already have and everyone will dig in for the next year before we have another season. I'm OK with it.
 
I'm also OK if the Braves beat the Dodgers. Same with the Brewers or White Sox or Guardians (but not the Yankees or Padres).
 
I've had the time of my life the last two years. I've gotten what I wanted. So I'm going to watch with relative ease -- but I'm still a fan, so sometimes I'll forget myself.
 
Enjoy the rest of the postseason. 

Comments

Ted Simmons' small inset photo looks kind of like Jaws from James Bond.

No way Petey Halpin got a couple of at-bats in the Wild Card series for Cleveland had the bye.

Wild Card Deniers! Though I agree it was pointless. Hopefully it means Dombrowski will lose his job. Guy's way overrated.
carlsonjok said…
I hate to be a killjoy, but 2005 was a long time ago. I was in my 30s in 2005. Am 60 now. More topically, that Minnie Minoso reminded me how much I love 1954 Bowman and, unfortunately, that it is a set that is beyond my wallet to build.
night owl said…
@Peter ~
I misread baseball-reference due to Posting In A Hurry. Halpin had 2 at-bats in last year's wild card.
Old Cards said…
Agree! The first round was a waste of time. I am so old school, I would prefer no playoffs at all, just the World Series best of 7 games. How would it work with 6 divisions? Have no idea. Don't like divisions either. What I do like is that 58 Drysdale!
I certainly would enjoy a Braves Rays World Series :)
Yes Lopez is still on the Braves just came off the IR yesterday.
bryan was here said…
Speedy Petey! Fourth outfielder for most of this season for the Guards.
Forgot about the Bip Roberts sombrero card being in Stadium Club that year. I have the '96 Score version in a prominent place in my collection.
Fuji said…
The beauty of baseball cards is that seeing one can instantly take you back 45 years. I'm talking about that 1981 Donruss Bo Diaz. I may or may not have seen this card once or twice over the past four decades, but seeing it today took me back to the early 80's and sitting on my porch with my neighbors sorting and trading cards.

P.S. As much as I hate the Yankees, I'd love to see a Padres/Yankees rematch... with San Diego winning it all FINALLY. I'm not getting my hopes up though. The Brewers are scary good. And nobody wants to face your Dodgers.