Skip to main content

It's getting to be a long time ago

 
I found out on Monday from Matt at the Diamond Jesters blog that a former card blogger, Johnny, a.k.a., hiflew, passed away over the summer.
 
I could have come across that news earlier if I was reading the TCDB forums regularly or on X, but because I don't want to spend all my time online, I keep my card outlets to the blogs and one or two other social media sites.
 
But back when I knew Johnny, blogs were about all there was. He ran Cards from the Quarry. He was one of the only Rockies collectors I've come across in my years of online collecting. He was easy to trade with because, my goodness, finally an outlet for my Rockies cards!
 
I traded a lot with Johnny, mostly between 2011 and 2014. Good times. There were a couple of other arrivals from him in 2017 and 2021 when he was doing some card selling (he always had good stuff), but, like many former bloggers, he found other places that he preferred more and that was TCDB.
 
I am not too active on TCDB because trading is not the No. 1 reason why I'm into online card activity. I've also never been interested in forums. I prefer the blog format and I think the love of cards comes out best in that platform.
 
But obviously few believe that anymore. And the time that they did is getting to be a long time ago.
 
There was a time when just about all online transacting came with fellow bloggers, and oh the inventory they had. Johnny is just one example, and so I gathered what I consider the top 10 cards that I received from him, again, mostly between 2011-14 (He also sent me the beanie baby card up top, I still don't know why). 
 
Let's see them:
 
 

1. 2005 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia Absolute Heroes Adrian Beltre relic card
 
One of the most impressive (to me) relic cards in my collection. It contains pieces from his jersey, cap and shoe. That's cool.
 
 

2. 2008 Topps Update gold letter parallel Clayton Kershaw rookie card
 
You can find this on ebay selling for around $300. But when blogging was king, people were shipping cards like this across the country like it was nothing -- I mean I was probably sending players like Jeff Francis for it (I hope it was better than that, but, you know, it was the Rockies).
 
 

 3. 2004 Topps Clubhouse Collection Orel Hershiser jersey relic
 
Orel Hershiser "hits" aren't easy to find, at least they weren't anyway. There was a period when I didn't have any. But this was one of the first that I owned thanks to Cards From the Quarry.
 
 

4. 1988 Score  Super Shortstops
 
Back in 2012, Johnny sent me a handful of 1988 Score cards that completed that set for me. This was one of the cards.
 
 

5. Variety of Bills cards
 
Back when I had very few Buffalo Bills cards I mentioned that I wanted to at least get cards of the players and coaches that I had interviewed -- even the non-Bills. Just like that, Johnny found a whole collection of them to send. I've talked to every one.
 
 

 6. 2018 Topps Gypsy Queen Indigo parallel Clayton Kershaw
 
This is one of the later cards that I received from Johnny. Numbered to /250.
 
 

7. 2013 Topps camo parallel Luis Cruz 
 
By now you probably realized that Johnny had some kind of inventory. This was my first camo parallel (numbered to 99). I still have very few of these.
 
 

8. 2011 Topps Allen & Ginter minis
 
When I was building my A&G mini frankenset, Johnny was right there with several. At least one (Yamaguchi) and probably one or two others are still in that binder.
 
 

 9. 2011 Topps Cognac Diamond Anniversary Roy Campanella, Short-Print
 
We had a lot of fun calling these "liquorfractors" when they came out and since I was a Dodger fan I was tasked with finding four of these Brooklyn short-prints. I don't know who supplied all of them, but I know Johnny had the Campy for me.
 
 

10. Various 2008 Upper Deck Timeline needs
 
John also understood set-collecting and set collectors and when I was collecting the Timeline set, he found several cards for me. I'm no longer collecting it, but I do still have that Max Scherzer rookie.
 
There are a bunch of other cards that he sent that are all documented on my blog. I'm sure once he moved over to TCDB other people discovered how generous and accommodating he could be. I've been known to bag on the Rockies -- especially in my earlier days -- but he never let it bother him or at least didn't let on.
 
Like many bloggers who have disappeared over the years, I miss him, and it's sad that he's never coming back to Cards from the Quarry.
 
This means at least four former bloggers have passed away since I started this blog. There may be more that I don't know about (but I hope not).
 
It just reinforces that the peak of card blogging was a long time ago. 

Comments

Dennis said…
RIP Johnny. I caught the news on TCDb myself and was very sad to hear of his passing. He was a good guy, excellent trader, and quality blogger. This is a nice tribute to him and I may do something similar as I also wanted to do my own kind of obituary for him. The hobby needs people like him and it's tough when they pass away.
Sad news for sure. He was the only Rockies collector I knew as well.
carlsonjok said…
I only had a short trading career but, looking back, I did have at least one trade with Johnny. I am sorry to hear that he passed away. Having fallen out of it, I often wonder what happened to a lot of the bloggers. It was a short time back, I found a Jose Rameriz bobblehead in a thrift store and was going to ask Baseball Dad if he wanted it since he was a Cleveland fan. When I looked his blog had been idle for a long time. I probably should have followed up by email. I hope he is still with us.
John Bateman said…
I may have mentioned this before but card blogging reminds me of Monday Night Football. From 1970-1975/76 MNF was on a meteoritic rise - it had its moments after (John Lennon etc) but nothing can top those first 5-6 years. Sports card blogging took the same course (2008 to 2013) with the peak around 2013 - but like MNF it will be around for a long time
Fuji said…
Damn. I missed Matt's post, so this is the first time hearing this news. Rest in peace Johnny.
defgav said…
I bet the Batty was intended for night card consideration.

Just last week I found a group of old Rockies parallels in my tradables with the note "hiflew doesn't need" (to save me the time checking them vs. his wants again [because I haven't gotten around to entering them into TCDB yet]). Good guy. Sucks to lose him.
Bo said…
When I saw that he had died I also checked my blog to see my trades with him. Among other things he finished my 1986 Topps set. RIP
Chris said…
That is a shame. I don't quite remember Johnny's blog (the name sounds familiar) so I must have missed his Rockies writing and generosity. This was a nice tribute to him.
Matt said…
Oh man, he was great. I think we did a few trades as well and yes, he is like the only Rockies collector around. I was wondering whatever happened to him. RIP!
Grant said…
That's a shame that he has passed. It's sad to think he lived his whole life without seeing his favorite team win the World Series.