Skip to main content

One to go (or none to go)

  
This rookie card of Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher Kirby Higbe arrived the other day.
 
It marked what could be the end of my pursuit of the 1941 Play Ball Brooklyn Dodgers. There are five cards in the team set. I now have four of them. The fifth one has been priced out of most people's ranges.
 
So I'm good with having four of them and calling it complete. As a "glass is half empty" guy in many situations, I don't expect to obtain the Pee Wee Reese rookie.
 
Therefore, let's look at the cards I do have:
 
 

Dolph Camilli was the first. It's the best-looking one by far. I don't have a handle on all of the set's cards but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the best-looking one in the entire set.
 
 


Next came Hot Potato Hamlin and Whit Wyatt. Wyatt has the healthiest of creases going through the upper right quadrant. I was not picky about condition in picking up these cards so it doesn't bother me (though it wasn't that evident in the ebay pic).
 
 

And then Higbe's rookie card, with the narrowest of left borders. Again, doesn't matter.
 
Here are all four together:
 

I picked up all four within the last 15 months. Camilli arrived in April 2025, Hamlin in April this year, Wyatt in May this year and Higbe this month.
 
It's a significant departure for me, as I mentioned when I acquired the Camilli. Almost all of my card interests come from the 1950s forward. 1941 Play Ball is the rare set that appeals to me enough that I don't even need to have a connection to the players (all of them played long before I was born), which is often a condition of me collecting many sets.
 
So 1941 Play Ball is special in that regard.
 
Now, is it special enough for me to set out for a Pee Wee Reese rookie? 
 
I may be a glass-is-half-empty guy but I'm also a never-say-never guy. Who knows? The cheapest ones for sale on the bay right now are $500 for the moldy/trimmed variety. The next-lowest are in the $750 range and then higher (i.e. graded) after that.
 
Not impossible. I've paid triple figures for cards in the pursuit of set before. If I save a little I could do it. So we'll see.
 
Still it will never not be fascinating to me -- and a little difficult to understand -- why a Higbe rookie was less than 30 bucks and a Reese rookie is $800 on average. I know, I know, legendary Brooklyn Bum who is in the Hall of Fame. It still seems out-of-whack, for this guy who never chased rookies.
 
But that's where I am -- perfectly happy with what I have and perfectly happy with this set chase. It was the rare card pursuit that wasn't aggravating in the least. It was fun. 

Comments

Angus said…
Pretty cool!

I would never say never about the Pee Wee rookie. Maybe some day you'll come across a good enough deal on it for you to make the jump.
I agree with Angus, you never know. The next time there is "street stuff" for free on the curb, Pee Wee could be hiding within the pages of that very old coloring book. :)
Old Cards said…
Couldn't agree more on the price disparity on vintage cards between known and less known players, plus the rookie thing. Hope that Reese card finds it's way to you someday!
GCA said…
I'm the same way about the T205 Christy Mathewson and a 1958 Jim Brown. Each would complete a team or whole set respectively.
kcjays said…
I quit trying to understand card and rookie card pricing several years ago.
There are quite a few SN and auto George Brett & Bo Jackson cards that I “need” to complete Royals team and insert sets. (Now I can add Bobby Witt Jr. cards to the list.) My son and I have a saying, “You never know!”
I’m with you, if I run across a card, I’m happy to add it to my collection and cross something off the list. If not I’m happy to continue looking and picking up other Royals cards, and the occasional Warren Spahn & Satchel Paige card.
Good luck, you never know what you might come across.
bryan was here said…
Best of luck to you, Captain Ahab, in the search for that White Whale!
Zippy Zappy said…
My recent T206 team set build made me realize just how nutso the vintage market in general is right now.
Matt said…
As a Red Sox fan, the 1941 Play Ball team is a pipe dream - WIlliams, Foxx, Doerr, DiMaggio rookie...maybe if I win the lottery some day...
Fuji said…
Gorgeous cards. I love how they included nicknames on some of these cards.
Damien said…
This is a great set! Congrats on the Higbe, and hopefully you can find an affordable Reese rookie.
CardBoredom said…
I like this exploration further into Brooklyn-era Dodgers. Don't give up on finding a Reese rookie.