Skip to main content

For the player collector in me

 
I don't spend a lot of time checking how many cards I have of each player but it's fun to do from time to time.
 
As someone who collects sets first and then my team, player collection totals are a natural subset of those and easy to categorize on TCDB or on whichever favorite counting spreadsheet you prefer. Also, unlike set or team collecting, the totals change fairly often.
 
When Johnny's Trading Spot sends out one of his "inventory cleanser" packages, I can't help but notice those player totals because the guys he's scrapping stand out.
 

Alex Verdugos
 
Up to 87 cards. 153rd on the list.
 
 

Dalton Rushings
 
43 cards. 471st on the list.
 
 

Tony Gonsolins
 
75 cards. 189th on the list.
 
 

Walker Buehlers (still haven't come to terms with his Padre-ness)
 
287 cards. 20th on the list.
 
 

Duke Sniders
 
318 cards. 16th on the list.
 
 

 Shawn Green and (tiny) Fernando Valenzuela
 
517 cards and 308 cards
 
4th and 18th on the list.
 
 

Dalton Rushing (again), River Ryan and Hyseseong Kim (bad photo, those Platinum Chrome cards are not easy to photograph)
 
River Ryan - 10 cards. 2,668th on the list
Hyeseong Kim - 29 cards - 888th on the list
 
 

A couple of 2026 Donruss newbies-to-me, including my first Das Boot ... er, Zach Root card!
 
Alex Freeland - 12 cards. 2,284th on the list.
Zach Root - 1 card, 7,517th on the list!
 
 

And heck, let's throw a couple of 2024 Topps parallel needs in to the computations.
 
Ryan Yarbrough - 11 cards, 2,461st on the list
Miguel Vargas - 48 cards, 397th on the list
 
As I was doing my casual counting, not really paying attention to the totals, I noticed I was getting pretty close to a milestone for one of the more loved players in my collection -- someone I would really "player-collect" if I was the player-collecting type.
 

A healthy stack of Hideo Nomo cards.
 
But even if I'm not focusing on a particular player, it's still easy to accumulate a lot of Nomo's cards. It's just part of collecting the Dodgers and Nomo's playing career starting in the 1990s.
 
But I have all of those above cards.
 
I needed two cards to reach 600 total Nomos in my collection. And with only two cards left to categorize, things weren't looking good.
 
Then something happened ...
 

This is not an ordinary 1997 Finest Hideo Nomo card, which I already own.
 
 

It is a sample card! NEW TO ME. Hideo Nomo card No. 599!
 
Now, only one card to go!
 
 

This isn't the regular 2004 Bazooka card, it's the mini card ...
 
Do I need it? Do I need it?
 
TCDB says ...
 
I NEED IT!!
 
 
  
600! 
 
Hideo Nomo is just the third player in my collection to reach 600 cards. I'm not sure if there is another player that will get there. Right now Mookie Betts has the best shot with nearly 500 cards and more of his Dodger cards being created at a pretty good clip.
 
Outside of a random night card, there was really only one type of card to come from the box that Johnny sent that didn't fit neatly into my team or player collections.
 
It is related to a set -- and therefore it made me the happiest.
 
I've been jumping on Johnny's Trading Spot's weekly vintage Wacky Packages giveaways and was lucky enough to win the first two.
 

 These are the needs from Week 1.
 
 

These are the needs from Week 2.
 
Plus there were some very welcome upgrades in the Wacky giveaways, too. Since scrapping COMC from my card purchasing options, I don't have a reliable Wacky Packages source anymore, so I really appreciate this giveaway and I hope to win at least one more.
 
I am looking forward to adding these to the Wacky binder more than anything else that arrived in that box. Because set-collecting still rules over all.

Comments

Congrats on the Nomo milestone!
Old Cards said…
600! Great! I'm a player collector by default. Can't commit to the high prices to complete my favorite 60's sets. Don't remember Wacky cards at all. That must be something you crazy 70's kids did!
Zippy Zappy said…
I loved being a player collector until I didn't.
tcdb has you ranked #19 on Verdugo :)
Matt said…
600 Nomo is quite impressive! I only have 220 of my top player (Roger Clemens).
Billy Kingsley said…
By set collecting an entire sport I ended up with over 1200 Michael Jordan cards. Not a bad guy to have a lot of cards of.
Jafronius said…
Great cards from Johnny! Glad you won a couple of those Wacky Packages.
carlsonjok said…
The idea of a player having 4,222 cards is mind-boggling to me and I am sure there are other players with far more than that. A number of years ago, I did an analysis of Mickey Mantle cards in 2012 and discovered that only 2% of his cards were issued during his playing days. I can only imagine what it is like 14 years later.
Fuji said…
600 Nomos is quite the accomplishment. Congratulations! I especially love the 1997 Finest Sample. Just found the Bagwell from that set in a quarter bin at the flea market yesterday.
BaseSetCalling said…
I wish I had time to look into a simple thing - what players have just one card from my favorite team?

Would make a good post for the Dodgers.
Michael D said…
600 cards of one player is awesome. My biggest is in the upper 200s. 600 seems so far away.