Skip to main content

Sharp vintage never fails

 
All right, I'm still not quite out of the woods as far as time constraints.
 
Some of that is my own doing, you know, blog post ideas that take a bunch of research and scans. But that gives you something to look forward to, right?
 
But for now it's another quick post of cards I obtained -- but they're vintage cards and super sharp, too! That's got to be appealing to someone.
 
All three of the cards I acquired from Daniel on Twitter. They are all high-ish numbered cards in the 1967 set and that makes me super-happy. He mentioned that the Steve Blass card is suitable for grading. I don't care about that at all, I just want the nifty card.
 
I just found out the other day that this card was taken on Opening Day in 1967. You can see the celebratory bunting behind Blass' left shoulder, if you aren't distracted by the person in the stands with the checkered shirt.
 

This card looked very familiar to me, in fact I feared for a moment that I already owned it. But that's 1969 reusing photos tricking me again. This image of Rico Petrocelli appears on both his '67 and '69 Topps cards.

I love the ballpark backdrop, you can see a whole lot in '67 cards.



Final card is of Kansas City A's shortstop Dagoberto Campaneris. Sharp as well!

Freaking love the house in the background. I know it's not a house house, but I will forever pretend that someone is in the kitchen making pies in there. Also I'm pretending that the structure to the right above the gathered players is an above-ground swimming pool with a deck.

That's all the sharp vintage for you today. It's nice to make some progress on this set, but I know I'll hit a wall that's impossible to clear at some point.

In other progress news, I just finished my recent article for Beckett Vintage Collector today. Just need to look it over and gather some images to send. I may have gone overboard on the story length -- oops. 

Anyway, hopefully I'll have some regularly scheduled posts for the rest of the week. We'll see.

Comments

Chris said…
That is some very sharp vintage there. I'm grateful for bloggers like you doing research on the backgrounds, I often overlook things like that.
Nick said…
The Blass is one of the very few '67 high numbers I own, and I've somehow missed the bunting in the background this whole time.
Old Cards said…
Very sharp and very appealing cards. You got me on the Blass card. I was looking for guys in the background practicing their bunting. Finally dawned on me you are referring to the banner, or I am sure more accurately described as the bunting. I must have been distracted by the guy in the checkered shirt.
I remember scouring the fronts and backs of cards looking for anything out of the ordinary. It was so fun.
Michael D said…
It seems that every time I see a post or a video about cards from the 60s, it makes me like the cards more and more. I really like the simplicity of the '67 set. You got some nice looking cards.
Scott I said…
The checkered shirt guy to me looks like he's wearing a checkered jacket with a zipper over a mustard yellow shirt. Seems likely given most of the adjacent people are also wearing jackets and Blass is wearing long sleeves.
Fuji said…
I can't unsee the guy in the checkered shirt. And how the heck do I keep forgetting Dagoberto. I know I've commented or written about his name before, but I keep forgetting his unique name.
steelehere said…
I wonder if Joe Dimaggio the one wearing the white hat in the background of the Bert Campaneris card? He was a spring training coach for them when the card came out.
Adam Ryan said…
The 67 set is growing on me. I didn't like it at first and thought it was really bland but with neat backgrounds like that on the Campaneris card, I might have to give it a second look.
1984 Tigers said…
This is my favorite set. Cards are easy to read on back. World series cards for each game. Rookie high numbers for Carew and Seaver. Red Sox high number team is a real challenge to find as their made their 1st WS since 1946 that year. I did find the Brooks R high number card after many years of trying. Also, Maury wills 1st topps card and also a high number.

Paul t