Skip to main content

Shaken not stirred

 
People from California reading this can probably skip the first few paragraphs. Because, for them, it will be a bit like someone coming up to me saying, "Hey, I just saw the 1974 Topps Traded Oscar Gamble card, it's so cool, you should check it out!"

Yeah, I know.

So, with that in mind, I experienced the strongest earthquake of my life Sunday.

Don't get excited. It was a magnitude 3.6. But we don't get earthquakes, or at least feel earthquakes, very often around here. For the first 20 years of my life, I never felt one.

The quake was centered just west of Adams Center, N.Y., which is a town 10 miles away from me. It felt like something exploded in the basement, then there was some brief rumbling. By the time I got outside -- where most of my neighbors now were -- it had stopped. They were rattled. "What was that?" they said.

I knew. It was an earthquake. I knew, because I felt one, centered at the same spot, 10 days earlier. It was a 2.6. It came at 2 in the morning, rather than the 2 in the afternoon quake Sunday. Just about everyone slept through that one. But I was awake, at my computer, and again, I thought something exploded in the basement. I even went down to check. So on Sunday, I had some experience. My wife was bothered. "I didn't like that," she said repeatedly. She was shaken. I was shaken but not stirred.

Maybe some around here found that experience scary (I can officially use all five fingers to count my lifetime quake experiences now). It was unsettling (is that where the word came from?).
 
But it wasn't scary scary.

Not like this:


These are the "Where Monsters Live" minis that I claimed from The Diamond King recently. He was giving away a variety of minis.

I don't normally collect Allen & Ginter mini insert sets, most of them aren't appealing enough for me to go through the effort. But some are kinda cool, like The Dudes and the Birds Of Prey and the Subways and Streetcars.

Thanks to this contribution, I now have the complete 2020 Monsters minis.
 
 
.

Here are the other two that were already in my collection. I believe this is the first A&G mini insert set that I've completed.

I assume most of the scenarios for the Where Monsters Live came from movies. I don't watch scary movies, my own imagination is bad enough. But part of the reason that I was interested in these is some go back to childhood (collecting is all about my childhood). A few, I recall freaking me right out. The Under The Bed one -- probably the most alarming card here -- I definitely felt. Same with the attic and the closet.

Topps missed the major one though. As a kid mirrors spooked the ever-living f out of me. I remember being forced to take naps as a little kid and sometimes I'd be told to nap in my parents' room. My mom had one of those big three-panel mirrors that spanned the length of a wall atop a cabinet, so you could see yourself -- or the monster -- in triplicate. I don't think I've ever gotten over that.
 
OK, enough of alarming things, let's get to some good ol' friendly baseball cards from Kevin!
 
 

This is the mini offered up that I most wanted, a black border Corey Seager from 2018 A&G. Dodgers sure could use Seager these days.
 


Dee Strange-Gordon's birthday was just the other day. Most of my cards of him were when he was just "Gordon." This bat relic bit is more like a wood shaving.



I've been receiving a fair amount of Yasiel Puig cards in trades the last few months. I guess that's probably because he's not a young superstar in the majors anymore so folks are giving up on him in their collections. I just like shiny purple cards, it doesn't much matter who is on them.



More colorful parallels! I just love the aqua parallels from 2021 Chrome Platinum Anniversary. If I was less disciplined and had no cash limits, I'd try to collect the entire parallel set.



MOMENTOUS MATERIAL. Remember these over-the-top cards? These were a riot at the time. They still make me laugh a little. But it's a nicely constructed card, better than a couple of the other Giant Swatch cards I have.

The size of that patch probably could cover the entire area that felt the earthquake Sunday.


As you can see it was minor on the scale, but it still tops anything else I've felt. My first quake experience was in January 1986. I was on the third floor of the Buffalo State library and I didn't feel anything but I felt swaying. Same deal in the fall of 1990, I was in my apartment late at night with my girlfriend, turned toward the kitchen and saw the cabinets sway. Then, in the late '90s, on an early Saturday morning, I was woken out of bed by a little shaking.

Not enough to stir me. But I'm not moving to California, that's for sure. I know I don't want to get used to this. That might really shake and stir me.

Comments

Jeremya1um said…
Glad you are ok. Never been in an earthquake, but I’m sure they can be scary like some of those A & G inserts are.
Between California's, quakes, mud slides, droughts, fire and wind issues yeah, I'll keep right here in the Lightning capital of the world, keep the nadoes, and canes at bay and I'll be alright. Glad you are too.
Mirrors, huh? I'm pretty scary looking, but mirrors never gave me much trouble. Glad the cards made it!
John Bateman said…
Experienced one quake in my lifetime that I know of in 2011.

It was center in Mineral, Va, I was in a high rise building in Pittsburgh PA - 300 miles away.

I was at my desk and wondering who in the hell was jumping up and down behind me vibrating the floor.

I turned around and no one was there.

Then the shaking continued for a short while more........
Jimetal7212 said…
Born, bred and raised in New England. Spent a few years of my life in SoCal though and went through a few; was there during the Northridge quake in '95 for example. Definitely a unique experience. But who'll ever forget the '89 World Series????
Michael D said…
No earthquakes for me, but I've seen my fair share of tornadoes...from a distance. I like the Corey Seager card and for the record, the Rangers could use some Corey Seager now too!
steelehere said…
Experience too many to count including living in Northridge in 1994 for the 6.8 quake. You just get used to them. Glad you're ok.
Billy Kingsley said…
Supposedly this one you felt was felt as far south as northern Dutchess County, where I live, but I was at a convention in New Jersey at the time so didn't feel it.

Earthquakes are weird. You're sitting there minding your business when things just start shaking for no reason? (Well, there is a reason, we just don't see it). I have felt a few here. There is a little known major fault line running under the Hudson River which, before recorded history, was as active as the San Andreas, but thankfully for me it's been dormant for a few thousand years. Nothing I've felt has been major, though...I couldn't imagine living in California.
Fuji said…
I've lived my entire life in earthquake country. And although I'm pretty much used to them and even expect them... they still can get a little scary for me. There was a 3.1 earthquake two nights ago right after midnight near SJ, but luckily I slept through it.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

I experienced that same Jan 1986 earthquake that you did. But at the other end of Lake Erie. You can read more about it if your google: 1986 ohio earthquake.

I was at my folks home post college and had just called that morning to accept a full time job at dow. I was upstairs in our home and the floor started moving. My mom was screaming at me and asking me if I was doing jumping jacks before I was ready to go for a jog (I was standing still). The house was shaking that much.

There are several stories and some Cleveland TV station video about it. It happened around 1147 am on Friday Jan 31 1986. Registered 5.0 on Richter scale. A big deal to us around the Great Lakes but nothing for Californians.

My brother and a friend were at a tigers game in July 1980 when a quake struck and the upper deck of tigers stadium swayed back and forth. Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey mentioned the feeling when it happened. The next inning they announced officially we had an EQ.

I had a boss who worked in Oakland during the 1989 quake and whose wife working in SF. He had taken the afternoon off to be at home since the game was starting about 5 pm local time. His wife was working. Back then not many people has cell phones and service would have probably been cut off anyway. He waited for hours to know if his wife was alive (a lot of phone lines were down). She got home after midnight, much to his relief. So yep, not interested in living in California in spite of the weather.

Paul t
Matt said…
@Johnnys Trading Spot - Agreed! I'm fairly convinced California is the only state that is actively trying to remove all the people living in it.

@John Bateman - I remember that one! I live in the Shenandoah Valley area, and remember a loud rumble outside my work window that sounded like a couple of tanks were passing by.
AdamE said…
I felt one in my life a 3.9 at my grandmothers house in MO. Like your neighbors, I went outside. I was in in a very remote place and it was totally quiet out. No birds chirped, no bugs made noises, nothing; there was absolutely zero sounds from nature and to me that was stranger than just the ground shaking.
Jon said…
Small earthquakes were pretty common back in the Portland area. The only one in my lifetime that ever really caused any damage was the 5.6 one that we had back in '93. That was an interesting experience. I'm in no hurry to ever be a part of anything stronger than that though.
Chris said…
Those A & G mini sets aren't my thing but they sure are creative.

I've never actually experienced an earthquake but there was one in my area. About 10+ years ago a blogger friend of mine wrote a post similar to yours. She lived less than an hour north of me, in NJ, and I was walking home at the exact time she described the quake occurring. But I didn't feel a thing.

Really nice Dodgers cards here, especially that Gagne aqua and the Billingsley relic! Museum Collection/Triple Threads/Tier One relics like that are super affordable for team collectors who just want a nice low-numbered swatch card and don't care that it's not a HOFer or star. I just picked up a Rick Porcello Red Sox relic from one of those high-end brands for under $2.