Skip to main content

Double digits

 
This isn't a milestone or anything. I don't know what to call it, but I just entered double digits in TCDB trades.

I completed trades 10 and 11 in the last few days. I still haven't proposed a trade myself and I'm getting real lazy about that.


It's difficult to take the next step when everything is still going so well. I received these five very welcome 1979 Topps football needs for a couple of late '80s baseball cards and one Dodger dupe from last year. Please tell me it's going to be like this forever.

These cards came from Mccammon44. I'm a bit torn about whether Joe Ferguson goes in the '79 football set binder or the Bills binder but not as much as if Joe Ferguson was the other Joe Ferguson and it was the Dodgers binder.
 


These are the results of trade #11, from bearsbaseballcards. I sent him six cards that ranged from the early '80s to this year for these Pacific/Swell gems. I just can't get enough of these. It will be sad when I've completed them all, although that's not going to happen for awhile.

I've noticed that some people on TCDB just really like trading, it almost seems like they don't care what they get back, although maybe that's just me not attaching much value to what I'm sending.

I've also noticed that folks who I've transacted with in the past are using people's want lists on TCDB to ship off RAK envelopes.


These cards arrived in an unexpected envelope from Bo last week. I'm assuming he found these off my TCDB page, not my blog want list page.
 


I came to that conclusion after realizing both of the 2002 Fleer cards are gold backs. I don't have the gold backs checked as "wants" on TCDB but I can't imagine people looking at my blog wants for my 2002 Fleer gold back list, although it does exist.

I'm on record as dismissing back parallels as almost always pointless but, yes, when it comes to the Dodgers I gotta have stuff like this.



These also showed up last week from reader Jim, aka, mr haverkamp, who I know is all about TCDB.

I'm sure they arrived via my TCDB want lists because I didn't even post my TCDB 1982 Fleer sticker wants even two weeks ago. 

That's tip-off No. 1. Tip-off No. 2 is that the sticker is Mike Schmidt, who Jim collects a lot. Tip-off No. 3 is I don't have a want list for '82 stickers on my blog.

But if you want to throw the remaining three stickers I need my way, they are Dwight Evans (of course) and the Rod Carew and Dave Concepcion All-Star stickers.


Jim also sent a Ron Cey Edward Vela art card, numbered to 50 and signed by the artist on the back. I have another signed Vela Cey card, they are very nice.

I could have sworn these were listed on TCDB but I can't find them now. Sometimes I have a tough time searching for stuff there, even on some basic sets.

If trades somehow dry up over there, I'll have to initiate some myself. I know I can do that as I've done it plenty when trading with fellow bloggers.

But for now, why screw up a good thing?

Comments

I haven't figured out how do much of anything on TCDB other than enter cards. One day.
Nick said…
Every time I think I have all the Swell cards I need, I see one I don't have. Gonna have to add that Earl Weaver to my TCDB want list.
Grant said…
That Vela Cey is a beauty.
Bo said…
I used your blog. I still check my favorite blog want lists first when I come into large numbers of dupes at once.
Jimetal7212 said…
There's a whole thread on there called Pay It Forward where members post thanks when they get a PIF. 3500+ posts in 6 years and that's just for the acknowledged ones. So yeah, PIFs are a pretty big thing and there's a handful of members who are repeat "offenders" of sending stuff out in quantity.
Benjamin said…
I've noted prior that I love TCDB. It has allowed me to finish sets for far faster and cheaper than any other method while getting rid of duplicates or unwanted cards, knowing they are going to someone who truly wants them.

It's really easy to use too, once you get past the time-consuming portion of entering your own collection and your wantlist. Luckily there are drop-down menus that allow you enter all of a particular player, team, or set (including separate insert sets) with just one click.

I've also sent out a few extra cards that were on someone's list with an existing trade, or even a few that nobody wanted that I included just for the heck of it.

This is a fun hobby. It doesn't have to be an investment hobby or one where you squeeze every last drop of money out of someone because your 20-cent common is worth slightly less than their 40-cent common. Most people on there get that and have made it a wonderful community.
Fuji said…
Seeing that 79T Ferguson reminded me to look for an extra 79T Largent for you. Unfortunately... I don't have an extra copy. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
Anonymous said…
I usually don't dig paintings as cards, but that Cey caught my eye.
Jafronius said…
When you're the King, the traders come to you!
Adam Ryan said…
If I had more time on my hands, I'd get into TCDB more. As of now, I just use it primarily for reference.
Jon said…
I think I said it when you first joined, but if not, I don't think that you of all people will ever have any trouble finding trade partners on there.