Skip to main content

C.A.: 2022 Topps MLB Rookie of the Year 75th Anniversary Frank Howard

(Today is National Honesty Day. I have always tried to be honest on this blog. Some may get offended, some may quit reading, but at least I'm trying to be true. It's when people are fake that I start to have problems. Time for Cardboard Appreciation, this is the 321st in a series):
 

 I pay almost no attention to Topps' many online/on-demand releases. As a traditional collector, it's difficult for me to get used to cards being available only online -- I've been trained to physically go to a store for so long.

Most of the time, it's no loss -- I don't want that dumb-looking card with the regurgitated theme anyway. But every once in awhile, they hook me.

I found out about this 75th anniversary Rookie of the Year set from Wrigley Wax, who went nuts with all the Billy Williams parallels. (I have no intention of doing the same). The set is sharp, the black borders reminding me of 2007 Topps. And since the Dodgers have more Rookies of the Year than any other team, I quickly looked up the checklist.

There are five Dodgers in the 61-card set. While that is tied with the most in the set -- the Giants and Mets also have five -- it's far short of the 18 Rookies of the Year in Dodger history.

That's understandable with a set size that's just the fraction of the total number of Rookies of the Year. But the choice of players for the Dodgers left me underwhelmed. Cards of Corey Seager and Cody Bellinger, I have plenty of those and they're both recent departures so I'm no too fired up to add more right now.

Then there is Jackie Robinson and Mike Piazza. I enjoy cards of both players, but I have been overwhelmed with selection through the years and the desire to add more is not there. How about a card of Ted Sizemore or Joe Black or Rick Sutcliffe? OK, maybe that's not realistic. How about a card of Don Newcombe or Jim Gilliam or Todd Hollandsworth?

Obviously, Topps settled on cards that would sell the most. A Jim Lefebvre card is not going to sell. I miss the days when Topps was more concerned about being complete than quick sales.

The only Dodger card in the set that peaked my interest was the Frank Howard card and it's now mine.

There are not a lot of Frank Howard Dodger cards. I have most of them and it's around a dozen. Even his regular-issue Dodger cards weren't great.


That's 1961-64. The 1961 is pretty nice, the others could have been better. I don't know what that fielding pose is in '62 and then repeated in '64.
 


This is the card that stands out during that time period. It's my favorite Frank Howard card, showing him blasting the decisive home run during the Dodgers' 1963 World Series sweep.



This is the first Frank Howard card I ever owned. This is the actual copy. I acquired it as a teenager and I've never upgraded, although I probably should. This is the bespectacled look that you got on Howard's Senators cards all the time, but it's pretty much the only one where he's wearing a Dodgers uniform.

There are a lot more cards of Howard as a Washington Senator, bespectacled or otherwise.
 


He reappeared as a Dodger on a couple of cards about 20 years ago. I like this one a lot, it should've been a Topps card in the '60s.
 


There's that odd pose again.
 
 

 Mostly what Topps liked to do with Howard cards about 20 years ago is reprint his rookie card from 1960 and then chrome it up. I've got those, too.
 


So it's nice to get a different photo on a brand new Hondo card.

I should be happy that Topps had the rights for Howard's likeness. I know Hideo Nomo, another Dodgers Rookie of the Year, has hardly appeared on a card since the end of his playing career.

I don't mean to say that this set is just superstars, there are some nice cards of '70s rookies of the year like Al Bumbry, Gary Matthews, Andre Dawson and a couple of others. I doubt that I will be grabbing any others though.

 

As usual, the backs need work.

Comments

I hate the use of the word "coronation" here. Some schmuck probably thought they were being smart. Nice card. I didn't know he was on the Dodgers.
Chris said…
It is a nice looking card, but it would be even better if it were a *complete* set of Rookies of the Year.

Also, I rarely have interest in all of Topps' On-Demand releases. If they're under a buck on COMC I'll pick up a couple, especially if they use a design from a favorite set in another sport.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Oh interesting. A few Giants on COMC including Matthews who, you're absolutely right, is more appealing than any of the HoFers or more-recent players.
1984 Tigers said…
My first actually memories of Hondo were on the late 60s when he was playing on the senators. I do remember excitement when my Tigers traded for him for the 72 pennant race where we edged out the red Sox for the East title but lost in best of 5 to As.

Still remember being at a tigers game in summer 1973 when I was whiny about being tired at rhe night game and the Tigers were down anyway late. My dad and older bro left with me, only to have Frank hit a game tying HR in late innings. I remember my dad stopping the car outside the stadium and hearing a tremendous roar. Kind of a "hey kid quite whining and you may just see magic" moment that I always made a point to stay till the end, only it was a blowout in pisspoor weather.

Paul t
Wow he looks especially massive on that 1964 World Series card, which is indeed an awesome card.

The world needs some new Nomo cards.
Michael D said…
Nice tribute to Hondo. My least favorite player...ever. Broke the heart of a 9 year old 51 years ago and I just can't let it go! Nice collection of cards though.
John Bateman said…
The 1962/64 pose tends to give an indication of Howard's massive size.

His great run (68-70) was ending when I started to collect cards but he will always be one of those 1970 Sluggers whose stats on the back of his 1971 Topps card put me in awe.
Bo said…
He was from before my time, but I feel like if I grew up then he would have been one of my favorites.

Looks like that picture might be from the Polo Grounds? In which case it would have been taken in '62 or '63, not '60. I could certainly be wrong though.
Old Cards said…
Frank Howard is a very memorable player from my childhood. I have the 61 through 65 cards you show. Honesty is a good thing. You are very honest in your blog and your replies to comments. I have been honest in my comments on your blog that I prefer cards that have close-up shots of players because I grew up collecting 60's cards. The action shots used in so many of the 70's cards are definitely not my preference. However, your blog is interesting because you cover everything, and I continue to read it. BTW I like the rookie card of Frank Howard at the top of your blog. It is a nice close-up picture.
Fuji said…
That 65T card is easily my favorite. Great pose on one of my favorite designs from the decade. The fact it's the first card of Howard you ever owned is a nice bonus.