Skip to main content

I found Heritage

 
OK, that's a click-bait title. I'm sorry.

I didn't actually find 2023 Heritage cards, which have been obviously delayed, but I did spot the release date for the product just now.

It's scheduled to be released May 31.

That's more than two months later than it has been released in past years, as it's often a mid-March product. But release dates continue to be delayed and one look at the release calendar shows that the majority of what's being released in the next month are 2022 cards. Only 2023 Bowman (late April) and 2023 Donruss (mid-May) stick out as current-year cards on the horizon.

Issuing Heritage at the end of May makes sense because Topps isn't putting out Gypsy Queen this year and that's usually been a mid-May product. Heritage fills a slot.

I'd like to think that the delay in the release would mean updates for players who have changed teams, but I have my doubts considering we're buried in 2022 arrivals. (It'd be nice if 2023 Heritage had the "Traded" cards with all those great painted hats, like '74 Topps did, but I'll be surprised if that happens).

Anyway, I'm very relieved to see a date for Heritage because I was starting to get concerned. Heritage will use the 1974 Topps design and I hope everyone knows how much that year's set means to me. They are the first cards I ever owned. My mom bought some cello packs for me and my brother. It is because of those cards that I am a Dodger fan and have been a card collector for close to 50 years.

I didn't really "collect" the cards that year, no other '74 cards arrived in my collection and I tossed the cards at the end of summer because I thought that's what you did with them. They were part of summer, like beach balls and grills and bathing suits. You got rid of them in the fall.

I want the opportunity to really collect the '74 design this year, like when I was finishing up the actual set back in 2005. No, I'm probably not going to try to complete it -- unless Heritage actually dispenses with the short-print nonsense now that we're paying tribute to sets that weren't issued in series (what are the chances?).

So I'm looking forward to it. I have no recollection of when in 1974 my mom bought those cards for us, but the end of May sounds about right -- a summer of collecting that design, just like 49 years ago.

There are few Heritage sets that I've really looked forward to -- I can probably list 2014 (1965 design), 2016 (1967 design) and 2020 (1971 design) -- but this is one. And you better believe next year is one.

(For more on my appreciation on the '74 set, this sums it up).

Comments

Anonymous said…
I hope there are no short prints.

I look forward to the Las Vegas A's cards

But really looking forward to next year - I want to hold a card with a player with the All-Star designation on it. (Knowing Topps they will probably short print those)
steelehere said…
Hopefully the traded cards are included in the high number release. Would also be cool if they released a '74 style factory set.
Don said…
It would be nice if there were no short prints as this was the beginning of the set being issued all at once. A factory set would be a nice nod to 74 also.

But based on how the sets are being issued, there will be short prints and no factory sets. The traded cards will probably be a short printed insert in some special form of packaging.

I just don't think they will do a complete nod to the set they are mimicking.
TwinKiller said…
Some black market owl wizardry you got going on there? Oop I read the post...
Nick said…
I don't mind Heritage coming out a little later if it means we'll get more "updated" players in the set. We'll see what happens. (Also I'm somehow just now learning that GQ was axed this year - can't say I'm shedding too many tears over that decision.)
I hope by then I am all caught up.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Give what Fanatics did with Big League I'm just expecting the worst with every release now. Best case scenario for Heritage is that it's the same old same old as previous years (recycled backgrounds and short prints). Worst case we have tiered rare foils eating up a third of the checklist.
Jafronius said…
There needs to be an official statement as to why there are still delays for these releases. Is TSC Chrome that important?
Fuji said…
Not familiar with Dave Nelson, but I really like his 74T card.

In response to "anonymous"... I too would love to see Las Vegas A's variations in this set.
1984 Tigers said…
I was in 5th grade when this set came out. The traded cards were a new thing in a way. Although 72 topps high numbers had traded cards. They were part of the series. The 74 traded, like 76 traded, were inserted sometime in May or perhaps early June. They issued more than a few per pack so it was easy to fill your set. 1989 upper high number set was similar in that you got a lot higher ratio of these cards vs the limited volume vs the 660 card set. The team checklists were a bit harder to find. Only certain specially marked packs had them, and by then I had filled my set. This was the last year that I threw out the set at the end of the year.

Starting with 75 minis in Detroit, I kept my sets for good.

Loved the Aaron's number 1 and his aaron tribute. Topps repeated this in 1986 for Rose.

Strange how topps had wash Nl cards for the team and willie mccovey but not Winfield? Bought the entire lot on eBay about 15 years ago.

Paul t