Skip to main content

I think they're all there

 
Yesterday, a neighbor from the next street over came to the door with an envelope.
 
He handed it to my wife and told her it had been delivered to his address by mistake. The address on the envelope, sure enough, was my address with my name. The envelope, as you can tell, contained a huge rip on the right side.
 
My neighbor, who I have never met, said that he had ripped it open thinking it was for him -- I guess he didn't see the address. Then he said to my wife, "I think it's some kind of baseball cards."
 
My wife said the guy was very pleasant and didn't seem to know anything about baseball cards, but I couldn't help but get a little suspicious -- it just comes with knowing how the modern hobby works these days. Were all the cards in the envelope really all there?
 
The envelope didn't have a return address, but I can tell by the printing on the front, and by the contents, that this was kindly sent by Jeffrey at Cardboard Catastrophes. And only he can tell whether all of the cards that I pulled from the envelope were all the ones he sent.
 
Here's a closer look:
 

I was very happy to see this, even though I treat Kellogg's cards now like dynamite and am afraid to look at them wrong. This '75 Bake McBride has been a want for a long time, as the one I own is cracked to bits. I will do my best to ensure this card avoids the same fate, although I feel like I have zero control over it.
 


Some 1971 Laughlin Fleer World Series cards for my collection. I haven't done a lot with these lately, and I need to pick up the slack. I believe Jeff's collecting this set, too, and probably doing a lot better job at it.


The '71s are called "black backs," distinguishing them from the '70 World Series "blue backs," although I tell the two apart from the fronts. 1970s have a round baseball that features the year while '71s show the MLB logo (which was still pretty new at the time).

Side thought: you don't hear a lot about the 1957 and 1958 World Series compared with others from the '50s. Both of them went seven games, I assume they were pretty exciting.
 


Final card (if that's all there was). This looked familiar to me although I've never seen these cards in person.

They are oversized (4x6) and from the T.S. O'Connell & Son Ink series that lasted from 1983 to I think around 1989 or so. O'Connell put out approximately 30-40 cards, drawn himself, each year. The Robinson card is from the 1986 series.

There's an interesting conversation with O'Connell on the James Beckett podcast. O'Connell was an editor at Sports Collectors Digest, worked for Krause Publications (his boss was Bob Lemke) and prior was the PR director for the Empire State Games in New York State, which I didn't know (I covered the ESG events in the 1990s).

I'll probably put this card with some of my other oversized cards from around the same time period, the Laughlin stuff, etc.

And that'll be that. I'll assume that's all that was sent. But if Jeff hops on here and says he also sent a '52 Topps Jackie Robinson, I may have to walk a street over for a visit.

Comments

Chris said…
That's odd; we occasionally get other people's mail but we never open it before bringing it to them :? At least all the cards were accounted for.

just got a PWE from a trade I made on TCDB a couple weeks ago. The left side of the envelope was cut opened - not ripped; *cut* and there was no return address. But all three cards were there and seemingly untouched. I guess whoever opened it had no interest in Zack Godley or Jackie Bradley lol.
Nick said…
I'm sure it was an honest mistake by your neighbor, but I always double check the name/address on my mail before I open it. Seems like common sense.

Those O'Connell cards are...weird. Some of them are terrific, and some look like they're sketches of burn victims. There's very little in between.
Matt said…
Hopefully mine got to you safely!
Fuji said…
I've gotta admit... I have accidentally opened up a package that wasn't addressed to me before. It was a few years ago when I was buying a lot on eBay (as well as receiving care packages). I just stacked the padded envelopes and was tearing into them when I came across some kind of Motorola electronic device. I immediately looked at the address and realized it was one of my neighbors down my street. I hand delivered it and everything seemed cool, but I'm sure they weren't happy that I opened their mail.
Jon said…
Opening a piece of mail before looking at the address on it seems like a very odd thing to do, at least to me.
Doc Samson said…
My cousin and I have the exact same name. I used to often get mail intended for him that was quite personal. I always looked at the return address first, then the sent address. If they didn’t jive, I would never open it. Nice haul of cards by the way, Mr. Owl.
1984 Tigers said…
Always assume good intent of your neighbors unless they give you repeated reasons to not give them that.

A lot of people are pretty burned out or distracted these days. I doubt he would have kept a card on you. Someone who does that would probably burn or throw away the others so that you would have no idea he got your mail.

Btw love those ws cards period. Neat attempt by fleer to stay relevant.

Paul t
GCA said…
A couple of the first few TCDB trades I've been making came in like Chris said. One was neatly slashed at the end. All the cards were still wrapped up but the last ½" of the envelope was gone. Another was a bit shredded but still intact as well. Since then I haven't had any damaged PWEs - which are 85% of all TCDB trades I'm learning.
Angus said…
I've opened my roommate's mail accidentally, seeing that it was a bank statement from the same bank I use. It was in my mail, with a return address logo I was expecting.

While working in my old job, where I would have large envelopes of mail delivered to my office that were sorted by our mail room, I would often just grab envelopes and start opening. There were a few times that I accidentally opened something mis-sorted for the office next door. They did the same. You just kind of said oops, and went and brought it next door. Once I realized it wasn't for my office, I stopped reading. I definitely didn't need extra work.
carlsonjok said…
That was everything. I decided against putting together those WS sets in order to keep my attention and budget focused on the set building that is my primary collecting priority.