Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: 1959 Topps Don Drysdale

(Today is "Come and Take It" Day, which is believed to have originated in Texas. The "Come and Take It" Festival in Gonzales, Texas, commemorates the firing of the first shot in the Texas Revolution in 1835. The Rangers already have a spot in the ALCS. So, that means "Come and Take It Day" is meant for the Tigers! Detroit, it's time to eliminate the greatest plague upon the postseason. Come and Take It! It's also time for Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 121st in a series):


You can buy a 1959 Topps card of Don Drysdale for $50.00. That's what "the book" says.

But some unscrupulous people don't tell you that "the book" is referring to a pristine Drysdale card with sharp corners and lots of shine.

The more realistic "Check Out My Cards" is offering a '59 Drysdale for a variety of prices, ranging from $7.50 to $42. I'm not against paying in that range for a single card, although I generally try not to spend more than $20 for any one card if I can help it.

I don't know what this particular Drysdale card would go for on COMC. Sure, it has a bite taken out of it. But it's a little known fact that '59 Topps cards are delicious. So factor that bit of key information in, you price-setters.

I just know that it didn't cost me a thing. I also know that it didn't cost Steve, the person who sent it to me, much more than that. The creator of The Greatest 21 Days blog spotted it in a dollar bin. Can you imagine that? Putting a '50s card of Drysdale in the dollar bin? Do they think collectors aren't going to notice? Do they think that Drysdale isn't going to come down from heaven and beat their ass for their ungratefulness?


That's the terrific back. I also enjoy the delightful old-timey way that Topps describes how Drysdale made the Braves his bitch. That's what they meant by "hollering 'uncle,'" right?

Drysdale is this Dodger fan's hero for many reasons -- his general awesome talent, his general hatred of hitters, his complete lack of fear, and my memories of him broadcasting baseball for ABC in the '70s. I really appreciate that Steve thought of me when he found this card.

But he threw in a few other gems of '60s greatness:


Maury Wills turned 79 the other day. It's amazing to me that he is that old. But it took him awhile to break through to the majors.


Another dollar-bin find. If someone writes something in pencil on a card, it apparently is destined for a lifetime sentence in a dollar bin. Until someone more practical rescues it. Wally's eyebrows overrule everything anyway.


Here are some Topps/Bazooka Quadracards from '92. I had never seen these, but had, in fact, just recorded them in my updated want list a week or so before Steve told me he had found a couple for me. Joe Black and Duke Snider have joined a few other players you might know. I don't care about those other players though.


Of course, Steve happened to have a few 1990 CMC cards lying around. He sent a bunch of Dukes. I'm just showing the Maddux card because I've enjoyed a windfall of Mike Maddux cards lately. And by windfall, I mean two.

Steve, thanks. I'd love to send you something back, but I know you've finished off the CMC set already. Let me know if you're collecting anything else.

I'm not very good at finding cards like Drysdale in the dollar bin, but I've got a card show on the horizon. You've given me hope.

Go Tigers!

Comments

I'd buy those for a $1!

By the way, I'm enjoying Mike Maddux as the Rangers pitching coach. He's getting a lot out of those guys.
Anthony Hughes said…
What a great post for the day, Night Owl. First you mention Come and Take it day, which is a holiday here at our plant - he owner brings in a BBQ crew and we eat ribs and brisket.

Then you talk about Don Drysdale who was my inspiration as a pitcher in 6th through freshman year of high school. I was taught that the plate was mine and any batter hanging his body over any part of my plate had to be shown the error of his ways. I can still remember watching Dodger games on KTTV and seeing Don standing there in the booth next to Vin Scully, that big world series ring on his finger, and showing how to hold a curve. I wanted to throw a curve too!
Thanks for the memories!
Steve78 said…
Anytime. I actually spotted the Drysdale thinking it was a nice card for the dollar bin. Then I saw you needed it and figured I'd donate and the Moon, to the cause. I also knew you would appreciate the condition of both.
If you had any other minor league stuff you wanted to send along, feel free. Otherwise, enjoy.