Skip to main content

What better way to celebrate an epic Dodgers victory?

The Dodgers' win in Game 2 of the NLDS easily ranks in the top five of Dodger playoff wins in my lifetime -- in terms of epic nature, anyway. It could rank in the top 3 because all I can think of that tops it right now is Gibson's home run and the Vic Davalillo/Bill Russell NLCS rally in 1977.

I happened to time it just right. While the Dodgers were struggling to score and frittering away a fine outing by Clayton Kershaw, I was slaving away at work. Then I finished up just in time to turn my attention to the TV in the office and watch the last out of the game -- what turned into Matt Holliday's muff of James Loney's sinking liner.

I had a front row seat for the rest of the way -- Casey Blake working a walk out of a nine-pitch at-bat, Ronnie Belliard's game-tying single up the middle, the wild pitch moving the runners up, the walk to Russell Martin, and Mark Loretta's final flair into left center for the game-winner. I let out a subdued cheer, but it's the happiest I've been at work in a long time.

I might as well continue the celebration by showing some recent Dodger cards I received. These are from reader Noah, who sent out a surprise package after I sent him some Mets for the last slew of Dodgers he sent me. Just a small sampling:

A 2007 Finest card of a player who is playing his finest ball of the year. Furcal is hitting .571 in the postseason so far. With every hit, a Braves fan dies inside.

A very early card of Hong-Chih Kuo. Every time I see this guy pitch, I am impressed. He always mixes in some stupid pitches, but the rest of the time he is just overpowering with awesomeness. If he could stay consistent and away from injury, he'd be amazing.

Matt Kemp didn't have a red-letter day in Game 2 and he's 1-for-9, so far. So I'm not showing the front of his '07 card. It's the red-letter variation anyway, so that's what counts. These cards drive me nuts, because I end up putting the backs of the cards facing out in my binder. And that really bothers my brain.

Topps Gallery Chan Ho Park. I haven't been following Chan Ho much since he left the Dodgers for the Phillies after last season. I know his stats aren't as good as they were with L.A. Park keeps leaving the Dodgers and never ends up doing as well as when he was with them.

I've wanted this card for awhile. It's a Fan Favorites card from 2005. I can't tell if that protrusion above Guerrero's right ear is his impressive Afro or tree foliage. I'm going with Afro.

Another guy who thought things would be better away from the Dodgers. How's that working for you, Adrian? I mean non-monetarily speaking?

I thought I had this card already. But this is the "AuSome" gold variation (get it? Oh, that UD humor). I think anyway. I'm just guessing. I just can't get serious about that stuff.

Some 2002 chrominess of Chad Kreuter. Kreuter is most known in Dodger land as the guy who had his cap stolen by a fan seated behind the visiting bullpen at Wrigley Field. Kreuter was struck on the head, and he went into the stands after the fan, followed by 18 of his teammates. A 10-minute brawl ensued. I'm sure the fans in that area are still talking about how they crapped their pants when Gary Sheffield charged into the stands.

Going way back to the days when the Dodgers never made the playoffs. Babe Herman hit .393, .381 and .340 for the Dodgers and they went nowhere.

I'll finish it with a card of Jackie. Robinson is one of the few Dodgers to have a walk-off hit in a postseason game. In 1956, in Game 6 of the World Series, Robinson singled in the bottom of the 10th inning to score Junior Gilliam with the game's only run. And that was one game after Don Larsen's perfect game.

So, now Mark Loretta joins Jackie Robinson, Kirk Gibson and Bill Russell in Dodger playoff lore. And I got to see it.

(Thanks for the cards, Noah).

Comments

Chan Ho Park did NOTHING when he signed with the Rangers except cash big FAT paychecks. Now, it's not his fault that Tom Hicks, Rangers owner, was giving out absurd contracts (SEE AROD). Congrats to the Dodgers and you sir for a victory in Game 2.
The Mojo Hand said…
Great moment!

Holliday will forever have his place in the Bill Buckner Hall Of Fame for that one.

Mojo
Captain Canuck said…
Fookie is dead to me. He could win the batting title and I wouldn't feel it.

After last off season, he no longer exists.

Plus, it helps having the leagues best shortstop to take his place. Mark it down. I said it.
Actually, once the Phillies yanked Chopper from the starting rotation and put him in the bullpen, he became very effective this year.