Skip to main content

A package full of shiny

I received a package of shiny in the mail the other day from Mark of Mark's Ephemera. Mark and I have conversed several times via email over the months, and as chance would have it, my wife actually will be traveling past Mark's town of residence next week while on a business trip. They probably won't meet -- unless my wife and her posse's rental car suddenly acts up -- but it's always good to know there's a friendly blogger willing to help out. Plus, he's already provided some good sight-seeing tips. See, hon, this blogging thing is really paying off for both of us!

But, of course, the best part of blogging is opening a package in the mail and squinting because there's so much shiny in there! Mark sent me a stack of 2004 Topps Traded Chrome, because he knows I like sparkly things. Cool.

One of the best kinds of chrome cards are ones that feature scoreboards in the background like on the Brian Jordan card. I know you can't tell what I'm talking about by the scan, but you get the idea -- you've all seen chrome cards in person before. If you haven't, seriously, find some. Your life will be changed. Really. I'm not exaggerating. It will be. Forever.

Here's a nice one of the guy who was born without an inner censor. You still have to love Ozzie. Although him touching his belt like that is a little unnerving.

Current Dodger Doug Mientkiewicz. He hasn't done much for the team this year because of injury issues. He's a candidate for postseason heroics, though. "A veteran presence" as the TV knobs say.

Shiny Dodger Chrome! (I have to clean my scanner again). The Dodgers' first baseman of 2005. Not a season to remember for L.A.

This card makes me very happy. I have so few cards of Lima Time in a Dodger uniform. And as any Dodger fan knows, he was the only highlight of the 2004 postseason for L.A. Without him, all we'd have is Jim Tracy getting his players to shake hands with their conquerors, the Cardinals, at the end of the series. Ick.

The shiny cards weren't limited to 2004 Chrome. Here's a Gold Label card from, I believe, 1998. My favorite player at the time was Mondesi.

Mark also sent some cards that weren't shiny in the least. I think everyone knows I'm a sucker for blue borders, and that goes for un-shiny cards, like 1994 Score. Yet another photo of a Dodger at Wrigley Field. So many of these.

Not an exciting player. Not an exciting photo. Not even a star. Lies, lies, lies, Fleer.

THIS is my favorite card from the package, and it's a sticker, not a card. I could never find 1981 Fleer stickers as a kid. Even today I have only two of them. This is my second. Very cool, Mark.

I just sent Mark a very small package. I've been informed that he has one of the cards that I sent already. He's getting it anyway. However, Mark, I know you don't have the other two. Consider it a meager thanks for the cards and for the tourist info!

Oh, one more thing: I hate it when "National Collect Like a Pirate Day" lands on a weekend. I just got in from out of town and totally missed it. And now I've got to work like a dog tonight and the next two days. Oh well, next year. (Not that I was going to do it anyway).

Comments

Matt Runyon said…
those '81 Fleer stickers are great. I collected just about everything else the card companies made that year, but the Fleer stickers apparently weren't availabe in Arizona. The only two I have are the two Giants stickers that a blogger sent me.
Mark Aubrey said…
Greg,

Glad you like them. I think I've got a few more stickers for you.