Skip to main content

When retail isn't for suckers

I've mentioned this story in the comments on a couple of blogs, so I might as well actually tell it on my own blog.

The card above isn't the greatest pull ever, and possibly not even my greatest pull ever (I don't know off-hand what that is). What makes the card semi-significant, at least to me, is that it was pulled out of a rack pack from a Target in Buffalo, N.Y.

There are a variety of blogs out there, including many that I respect, that characterize retail packs as being for suckers. I'm sure there are several bloggers who never buy retail packs, or even blasters or boxes from retail outlets. All of their card shopping is done exclusively on eBay or from one of the many fine online card stores, or from the card shop in their area.

And that's cool. It's the smart way to do things. Get a hobby box, where your chances of pulling an auto or something else super sweet are much better. Get something that hasn't been searched. Plus, you get it delivered right to your home so when you do pull that quintuple cut signature (yeah, that's right, quintuple. Don't think someone hasn't thought of it yet), you're not shouting words in the middle of the store aisle that make small children run screaming to their mama.

But, for a variety of reasons, I find myself in retail stores a lot more often than I do in card shops or shopping via computer. And I know I'm not the only one. So for those of us who do pick up blasters and packs at our neighborhood big box store, and hate ourselves once we open the packs, wishing what came out of those packs would magically turn into food so we could eat the evidence, I'm here to say, don't beat yourself up (and don't eat your cards).

Sometimes, you do end up with something good.

My Johnny Podres auto (which was in the same rack pack with an auto of Texas Rangers prospect Jason Botts) looks very nice next to my two vintage Podres cards.

Johnny Podres died one year ago next Tuesday. He will always be remembered for pitching a shutout in Game 7 of the 1955 World Series, being named Series MVP and turning "Wait 'Til Next Year" into "It IS Next Year" for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

But I'll remember him for something else. And that is this: I'm not wasting all of my money when I buy retail. Just most of it.

And with that, I'd like to ask you a question: what's your best retail pull, out of a pack or blaster?

Comments

Dave said…
That is pretty awesome, especially for a Dodgers fan! My best retail pull was definitely the Evan Longoria autograph that I got from a Stadium Club blaster In November.
Nachos Grande said…
I buy a lot more retail than hobby as well, though I don't think I've ever pulled anything quite that nice out of a retail pack. Still, it's fun to bust open packs, even if the hits aren't quite as good (or numerous).
zman40 said…
I rarely buy hobby. I'd much rather go to Wal-Mart at midnight than go to my local card shop, which usually doesn't have what I really want anyway. So my best retail pull is probably a Billy Wagner Goudey auto that I got from a pack at Wal-Mart this past year. I also got a sweet Ricky Weeks out of a repark box at Wal- Mart that was numbered to 15, featured part of a number or letter and was about 3/8" thick. There was even a Big Papi Bazooka bat card in the same repack box.

You got the Podres AND a Botts signature in the same rack pack? That is pretty cool, even though Botts is now playing in Japan or Korea right now. I usually don't have too much luck with autographs in packs. But the last two packs that were the only packs that I bought from a set (Documentary and Donruss Elite) both had autographs.
Anonymous said…
In 1999, I pulled a Topps Gold Label Race to Aaron Red Label insert of Juan Gonzalez numbered to 44. It was like a 1:3000+ pack pull! Miraculously, I was able to find a Juan Gone collector (in New Jersey) to sell it to. We all know what happened to his career after that.
Sooz said…
I buy lots of retail. Last year, I bought a Topps Chrome blaster and got a Clay Bucholz auto. I was very happy with the box. I had tons of refractors.
deal said…
I don't think I have ever pulled an auto in retail. Couple of game used and numbered parallels that's it I think.

I still like to get retail, If I am building a set or typically I want a sampling of a set. Ideally I would like to have one player from each team in a product - This sort of collecting lends itself to retail more than Hobby.

And anytime I am target for some stupid reason it makes me feel better about the whole damn trip.
dayf said…
I pulled that same Podres card out of a pack of Heritage. That was a Hobby pack though. I've also pulled two autos out of the same pack before. Carmelo Anthony and Shawn Marion out of a pack to Topps basketball I bought at a gas station.

Best retail pulls? Roberto Clemente bat out of a pack of Upper Deck '70s decade, Roger Maris jersey out of Upper Deck Vintage, Alex Gordon auto out of a rack pack of 2006 Topps (made up for the pulled card) Walter Payton Jersey out of some fleer pack, Tom Brady auto out of a pack of Topps Heritage... Damn, I've bought a lot of retail packs...
Anonymous said…
I got a Smoltz jersey card out of a blaster of Heritage at Kmart last year. I think that's the only "hit" I've ever had, but I don't really care because I'm not in it for the "hits."
Anonymous said…
I've got 2.

1) I pulled a 2006 Topps Alex Gordon autograph out of a rack pack at Walmart.

2) Same store, a year later, bought a blaster of 2007 Fleer Ultra SE....and pulled a Cal Ripken Jr Autogrpahics.
Anonymous said…
I buy most of my unopened cards at retail ($20 blasters are easier to fit into the budget than $50-$80 hobby boxes.)

I've never gotten anything very exciting in them, though. A couple of Jeff Bagwell relic cards, some forgettable rookie autographs from those '52 Topps rookie cards...

I did get an auto in a re-pack box once... of course, it was Ken Huckaby. :)

Still, it's nice to hear of people finding good stuff in retail packs.
James said…
That's a sweet Johnny card. He was such a character - I enjoyed watching that HBO special on the B-Dodgers a year or so ago. Podres seemed like quite the character.
Anonymous said…
That's a great retail pull. I pulled a similar card (of Bob Feller) that also came from a retail pack. Feller signs a ton through the mail, but the feel of pulling that thing from a retail pack from a box that looked like it'd been fondled dozens of times was extra sweet.

Slightly off topic, those cards are one of the examples where Topps' silver foil stickers actually look good.
BASEBALL DAD said…
There is no hobby or card shop nearby so 90% of my purchases are retail. The best was from Meijers in 1999 out of a pack of Upper Deck Black Diamond.A Reggie Jackson "A Piece of History 500 Club " bat card. I still find a nice auto , memorabilia or #'d card once in a while.
Jawdy said…
good post....I pulled a 1/1 Platinum parallel from an Updates & Highlights pack this year from Target. I was shellshocked. Got some nice autos this year too from retail. It's not as common but it can happen!!!
Unknown said…
The one card store in the area doesn't have much new product, so I almost always buy retail. I'd much rather spend a little here and there than drop a bundle on a box.

My best was a Allie Reynolds Yankee Stadium Legacy Memorobilia card which I got from a Timelines pack dispenser. Don't know how the searchers missed that one! I' also got an Aaron Heilman auto from a pack in a "fire sale" repack box, and a Troy Glaus auto from a $1.59 "value pack" at Target.
Sooz said…
Now that i thought more about it. I remember actually getting a Tejeda bat and Damon bat card out bargain packs at Target from $1.59 packs of 2005 (or 06) of Bazooka.

I bought the whole lot of them for $1.59 and got two GU cards. It was cool.
Anonymous said…
I really like retail, whenever my wife shops at Wal-Mart it is my treat. I have gotten several autos and relics over the years from retail packs and blasters. I have never gotten one as good as a Podres. I don't get into the hobby vs. retail argument, I am just glad there is such a diverse group of collectors on the net.
skoormit said…
I buy retail because I only open packs when I want all the base cards I am going to get. I certainly understand that people lust for the big hits, and I certainly appreciate those that open cases, keep the hits, and flip the base cards on ebay. I appreciate those people because they make it cheaper for me to get the base cards I want (DBacks).

My best hit in a retail pack is a Jeff Mathis auto from Topps '52. Mathis is a backup catcher on a team (Angels) where the starter (Napoli) isn't that great. I don't care about having his autograph. I would have been happier with a base DBack, except for the trade value involved. I could theoretically trade that auto for a DBacks team set.
Twitch said…
Best retail hits: Randy Moss/Marvin Harrison dual jersey from 2004-ish Upper Deck, a 1997-ish Gold Mystery Finest John Elway, an 2002-ish Ovation John Elway Jersey, and fairly recently I pulled an Evan Longoria silver framed parallel #'ed /25 from a half-priced pack of '08 Masterpieces. The autos I've pulled sucked mightily though.