Skip to main content

My first TTM try

Even though I don't collect autographs, chase them, or enjoy a lot about that particular aspect of our hobby, I am finding I do make exceptions. Those exceptions have to do with obtaining an autograph of a player that has particularly special meaning.

It can be the player himself, or a certain situation involving the player. For example, the comment left by the daughter of former Oakland pinch-runner extraordinnaire Herb Washington on this post sealed the deal that I must obtain his autograph (since I didn't go to the card show, I'm still looking for an extra '75 card of Washington to send him, which I'll probably just obtain online now. Yeah, I'm going to drag this out for as long as humanly possible). Players that I have talked to for feature stories while working as a sportswriter also fall in that category. Although handing them a card and a pen during the interview is grounds for dismissal, I can make a request in a fan setting, away from my day (er, night) job.

But the No. 1 exception is obtaining an autograph of my all-time favorite player. Living on the east coast, I never got the chance to see Ron Cey play in person for the Dodgers. But I followed as closely as was possible during those days before the Internet or even cable. Cey's poster was on my bedroom wall, and I made sure to collect every Cey card I knew of while growing up (there weren't very many of them back then).

My brother, who lives in California, once attended a Dodger game in L.A. in which Cey was signing before the game. But he didn't get Cey's autograph (he's not into autos and has pretty much lost interest in cards altogether). I was displeased.

But now I have another opportunity. Yesterday, Brian of 30-Year-Old Cardboard received two autographed Cey cards in the mail. As you may know, Brian has been going on a TTM request spree the last few weeks and has had mind-blowing success. I saw the Cey cards and couldn't help but ask for Brian's assistance in getting Cey's address. He graciously sent it and even added some TTM tips for young autograph apprentice Night Owl.

Cey, as you may have noticed by the cards on Brian's blog, or by the facsimile auto on the 1980 Topps card at the top of the post, has one fantastic signature. It's a classic. So I'm not going to send a card that already has a stamped auto on it.

And I'm definitely not sending a card like this:

I may be a newbie, but I do know sending a card in which it appears that Cey has just struck out (although it's more likely that he is looking for a sign from the third base coach), isn't a good idea.

So my only stipulations on card choice are: a) it doesn't already feature a stamped signature; b) it must feature The Penguin in a positive manner; c) I must have duplicates of the card in case our fine U.S. postal system encounters a glitch.

These are the cards I'm sending:

1978 Topps and 1983 Topps. Two fine cards of The Penguin. I'll be including a short hand-written request as well (any other suggestions?) I'll probably send the cards on their way by the end of the week.

Thanks for the big assist, Brian! I'll let you know how it goes.

Comments

AlbuqwirkE said…
You'll be glad you did!

I'm still waiting for my Herb Washington card to return home. One thing I make sure to do since I have no idea how long a person might take to respond (if at all) is to use a "forever stamp" on my SASE.
tastelikedirt said…
Yes, the last couple years postage has gone up between the time of spring traing and the end of the year.
I sent a card to Mike Piazza on two different occasions, and he added postage on two different envelopes and sent my cards back unsigned. that was nice of him. I think?
zman40 said…
I was thinking of sending a couple of cards Cey's way this week, as well.

Good Luck!
Good luck with this. I hope it works out for you!!
MMayes said…
Good luck. Ron Cey has always been a good through the mail signer. I can't wait until you get the cards back, post them, and then decide, "Hey, wouldn't it be neat if I had a Ron Cey autographed baseball!" and then send a ball through the mail!

If you get a bug and become interested in getting other Dodger cards signed, please feel free to let me know who and I'll help you with who signs and who doesn't. For example, if you want Lasorda, send to Dodgers new spring training site in mid-Feb, but only send 1 card.

Enjoy!