Skip to main content

Reflecting on refractors

I don't think this falls under the "secret shame" category. But I've been a little reluctant to confess a bit of information: I have a hard time telling a refractor card from a regular chrome card.

I'm not actively collecting the Topps Chrome set from 2008, but I do pick up some packs here and there just because I can't resist. It's chrome! But I can go months before realizing that a card in my possession is a refractor.

Just today, while continuing my never-ending attempt to sort my cards, I discovered that the Dustin Pedroia card up there was a refractor. It's a good thing Topps mentions it's a refractor on the back, or I'd be as clueless about this card as how the Arizona Cardinals got to the Super Bowl (I can name three players on the team. Maybe four).

Then it dawned on me: how many chrome cards had I thought were doubles were actually refractors? I immediately headed to the basement and dug through my 2008 dupes. I found two refractors smiling back at me.

There was Lance Berkman (the scanner refuses to line up chrome cards correctly). The refractor is on the right. Um, I think.

And there was Kelly Johnson. Again, the refractor is on the right. I think.

I'm not a complete idiot. I know what the difference is between the regular chrome and a refractor. The refractors glisten in a rainbow-like way when you hold it up to the light. I just have a hard time noticing it right away. It's kind of like those 3-D pictures where you have to blur your eyes to get the 3-D effect. I always had a hard time with those.

I've only been dealing with chrome cards for a couple of years. Chrome first came out during the dark ages of my card collecting, so it's all new to me. My question: think back to when you first became aware of chrome cards and refractors. Did it take awhile for you to notice the difference between the two cards right away? Did you have to look at the back first to tell whether they were refractors or not?

Thank goodness for xfractors. There's no mistaking what those are.

Comments

steveisjewish said…
although I am more than happy to acquire any mets refractors/chrome/xfractors... i think they are all garbage - a terrible plague on the hobby.
Anonymous said…
I don't really "get" chrome & refractors. I mean, I can usually tell the difference between the two... I just can't see why you'd take something that should obviously have been a simple parallel and turned it into a whole separate product.
gritz76 said…
I still can't figure it out either. That's why I stick to sportflics!
Dave said…
I absolutely love refractors, but I agree - the white borders on 2008 Topps Chrome do make it difficult to tell if you're holding a refractor unless the lighting is really good. It's a lot more obvious with other Topps/Bowman brands - 2008 Bowman Chrome is a great example - the refractors look much nicer than the regular cards in that set.
tastelikedirt said…
Same thing happened to me. I thought I had doubles of a Rich Harden card, had them for months, one day when I was sorting through things I noticed there was some kinda rainbow thing going on. It was only because of the sunset light coming in the front door that I noticed. I thought the refractors had that checkerboard look to them. Maybe those or Superefractors? I still don't know. I think the chrome takes away from the photography anyway, and don't really care for them.
Sooz said…
I've had problems telling the difference as well. So when I go through the chrome cards, I always peek on the back just to make sure.

I have a secret shame too, but I'm not telling yet.
madding said…
It took me a bit to understand them, but I do now. You probably already knew this, but underneath the card number on the back it will tell you if it's a "fractor". Since there's always at least one of these parallel's in any given pack, you can always separate them as soon as you open the pack and check the backs.
MMayes said…
I'm not a fan of the chrome, refractor, etc. In fact, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we got rid of the glossy card fronts on the Topps set and made finish like the old days and Heritage.

Enough from the grumpy old man for today.....
capewood said…
When Topps first issued refractor cards, which go all the way back to 1993 Finest, they didn't have any notation on the back. I guess a lot of people couldn't tell them apart (I usually can but some are harder than others). My recollection is that they first started putting an R on the back and eventually put Refractor on the back. I guess there isn't much point in making an extra special shiny card if people can't tell it apart from the regular shiny card.