Skip to main content

Masterpieces, I hardly knew you

When it comes to the latest and greatest, I've always been one to stand far from the action, waiting until the frenzy dies down. It's become a pattern, and it plays out in a variety of scenarios -- movies, technology, new restaurants. I like to figure out whether something is really worthwhile, at my own pace.

And so it is with baseball cards. I was about a year-and-half behind when it came to UD Masterpieces. But part of that time was spent evaluating whether I had any interest in the brand. And I decided -- and this is out of line with a lot of collectors' thinking (so what else is new?) -- that Masterpieces wasn't for me.

That didn't mean I thought Masterpieces was crap. The brand produced some great cards, including my favorite card of 2008, and possibly my favorite card of 2007. It's just that painted cards and I don't get along. And intensely short-printed sets and I don't get along. Combine both of those facts, and I couldn't see blowing much money on it.

But just to be sure I was being fair, I even bought a blaster in a further attempt to understand the product. What I ended up with was a big pile of meh.

So I was content to have my Russell Martin card, and my Sandy Koufax card, and collect the Masterpiece Dodgers here and there and be done with it.

Then two things happened. First came news that Upper Deck was going to kill off Masterpieces for 2009. Something about the economy and the expense of producing the set. I shrugged my shoulders. One less set that I didn't really care about to collect. Thank you for saving me from myself, UD.

The second thing that happened is I actually bought a couple packs of Masterpieces on Friday. Only because it was the lesser of four evils at Target (Topps Series 2, U&H and Documentary were doors Number 2, 3 and 4). In pack two, I pulled this:

Now, this is no great pull for a lot of you. There are a number of bloggers who have pulled countless framed Masterpieces cards. I don't know how many I have seen on I Am Joe Collector and Fielder's Choice combined. Dozens and dozens, I'm sure. But this was the first time I had held one in my hands. And touching is believing. The framed cards are very cool.

Yet, not long after pulling the Ripken card, I remembered that Masterpieces wouldn't be around anymore. And I felt a small twinge of disappointment. It was nothing like if I had heard that Allen & Ginter was history. But still I felt like someone who had discovered what the buzz was all about, only to realize that everyone had moved on. It was like tuning into "Seinfeld" for the first time in Season 8.

Oh well. That's just me, sticking to my late-to-the-party template.

It took quite awhile, but I'm not on the fence about Masterpieces anymore. I happen to think it's just a little bit cool.

Sorry it took so long. And sorry to see you go.

(But I'm not married to this Ripken card. I will be happy to trade it for a framed Masterpieces Dodger, or something comparable. If anyone wants to do that kind of one-for-one trade, leave a comment or send an email. We can make it a larger trade if you like. I'll respond to the first person who offers something reasonable).

Comments

Flash said…
You interested in trading away any of the base you pulled? If so ,what did you pull and which short print did you get? Kim bought a blaster last night and didn't even get a boarder card, just a short print. I felt bad for her. I agree, the border cards are pretty cool. But I think the 2008 set isn't as good as the 2007 set as far as players in the set. And they probably would've further screwed things up in 2009. Maybe it's for the best.
gritz76 said…
I have a black framed Loney I wouldn't mind swapping for the Ripken. I can see if I have anymore Dodger stuff you might need.
night owl said…
gritz, let's do a trade. I don't think I have your email, so send me one. I'll respond probably Monday evening when I'm at work.

Flash, I don't think I have anything for you (or Kim), Masterpieces-wise. The two packs I got had not one short-print, and I've already traded anything notable away from the blaster I got a couple months ago. I'll look again, just in case. Like I said, my Masterpieces buying has been very limited.
night owl said…
Flash, in case there's a nonshort-printed card that's been avoiding you, these are the few masterpieces I have. If you care, send me an email:

1 - Webb; 5 - Scherzer; 6 - Teixeira; 12 - Boggs; 26 - Sizemore; 27 - V. Martinez; 33 - A. Cabrera; 41 - V. Guerrero; 44 - Loney; 47 - Fielder; 54 - Wright; 55 - Santana; 56 - Reyes; 60 - Ford (i'm sure you have that one); 61 - M. Rivera; 68 - Harden; 80 - Lincecum; 82 - F. Hernandez; 89 - Halladay
stusigpi said…
I have pulled gobs of the framed cards and I like them. It is one of the few sets that I am trying to complete. I can tell you that without them the set would be a one box and done.

I felt the same way about the set as you did until I bought a lot of framed cards on ebay to show that the hits from a box of 08 could be bought for no more than $20 depending on the auto. Once I got them, I started buying boxes.

I am torn about whether Upper Deck made a mistake by killing the set off. I agree that the set had many cards that did not need to be included, but I think baseball history had much more to offer. Upper Deck really went wrong this year when they cut to 1 jersey and 1 auto instead of 3/1.

To me, the Ripken is a good hit.
night owl said…
I think that's the way to collect this set: buy the framed cards and the few base cards with meaning off ebay.

Flash, a couple other nonshort-prints that I missed because I'm scatter-brained:

15- D. Ortiz; 36 - M. Cabrera; 66 - Cano.
Anonymous said…
I'd like to see Upper Deck transition Masterpieces (the framed versions) into their own version of a Diamond Kings-style insert set.
Dinged Corners said…
According to Beckettpedia, the definition for refractor:
"Parallel Cards, often associated with Topps' Chrome stock cards (Finest, Bowman's Best, Bowman Chrome, etc.), that refract light into a bright spectrum. The effect is accomplished by the placing of an ultra-thin, transparent, plastic Fresnel lens on top of the card. Refractors are tough to spot at first, but once you see one you'll be able to spot others easily. Beginning in the mid-90s, Topps has added a notation on the back to specify refractors."

And the notation they added apparently was, "UM...THIS IS A REFRACTOR, YO" and that is how the experts at Dinged Corners figure out when they've got a refractor.

Fresnel lens, baby!

We did this post: http://baseballdiamondgirl.blogspot.com/2008/08/new-card-technology-unveiled.html back in August as a way of striking out against our own inability to know a refractor even when it clonked us on the head.

We find it strangely comforting that you have had Doubts on this subject.
Dinged Corners said…
Sorry we put that comment on the wrong post...travel-weary.
night owl said…
No worries, DC. I do believe I've done the same thing.