Skip to main content

Best of the rest


Here are the rest of the cards that I bought with some magazine-writing money.

They're not as exciting as the 1977 Renata Galasso cards that were the stars of this purchase. But they mean quite a bit to me, so let's get to it.

The most notable thing about this group of purchases is that I used COMC, ebay and Sportlots together for the first time. I think I'm at the stage in my collection where I need to consult all three, mostly for inventory, but also for prices.

The majority of my money went to ebay. COMC and Sportlots got the leftovers. You're going to see the COMC leftovers first.


I bought just three 2019 cards. Two of them were Revolution of the Game inserts from flagship.

These were maddening in their unavailability when I opened packs. I didn't buy a lot of 2019 Topps, but I did get enough where I think I should have seen at least one of every insert. Unfortunately, Topps now creates eleventy billion inserts so I guess I shouldn't be annoyed. ... Well, annoyed about THAT anyway. I'm certainly annoyed about the number of inserts.

I like the Revolution of the Game theme, at least from the cards that I've seen. Bill James and Branch Rickey are perfect for this insert set. Lasorda, I'm assuming he's in here for his epic Kurt Bevacqua rant. (*turns over card*). Oh, he's in the set for his longevity with the Dodgers.


Here's an elusive combo card from last year's Heritage High Numbers set. For collecting kiddies, ask your dad about the title reference. It refers to that dude who makes Cheetos commercials.



I've landed another card in O-Pee-Chee's laudable effort to right Topps' 1989 wrong in actually recognizing the 1988 World Series. I just need the Orel Hershiser card now.



Another card from the 1977-84 Galasso set. This is from the portion of the set that recognizes the 1930s, I believe, although Fat Freddie also pitched for the Dodgers in the early '40s.



Let's get started on another great oddball history set from the dawn of the 1980s. I can't seem to buy more than one of these 1980 SSPC Baseball Immortals at a time. I should be more efficient and grab the entire set somewhere. Maybe I'll do that. But first, so many other needs ...



Just one from my 1977 Topps football want list, too, but it's a key one.

Craig Morton was the Broncos' QB for Super Bowl XII, which means this is the card of Morton that collectors had just pulled out of packs when that Super Bowl was playing. I remember this Super Bowl well as my Type A-personality English teacher at the time talked extensively about it. I think he may have even made us write predictions about who would win -- yes, even the kids who didn't know what a football was. I, of course, wanted the Broncos, because they were new and, wow, those uniforms were cool (bring them back!).

I hadn't heard of Morton until that point and confused him with Carl Morton, a pitcher for the Braves that I had been pulling out of packs the previous couple of years.


"What the hell?" I thought. "Morton plays baseball and football?" You can say Bo and Deion stole my idea.



Staying with 1975s, here are the latest buybacks to enter my completion quest.

Four of these were my only Sportlots orders. Sportlots prices most of these much more reasonably than COMC. And I received each of them fairly promptly, although I was wondering about the Burleson. It finally arrived today.

Add these six and I'm up to 355 cards in the set in buyback form! Just 305 to go! 😉



Just one nonset need. It's another vintage Wacky Packages sticker from the mid-1970s. Still plenty to go, although I'm still not sure whether I want to complete this or just grab the ones I like. Here's an old Arrid commercial that I remember seeing constantly during baseball games.

OK, final card. It's a little more impressive than the rest. Although for some of you, I'll need to provide a little back story.


This is one of those pesky 1960s high numbers. It's particularly notable for Dodgers fans because Perranoski has not one but two of these pricey 1960s HNs. The other is in the 1966 set, which I still need to get.

It's pick-ups like this that really make me feel like I'm accomplishing something with my collection. There aren't a lot of 1960s Topps Dodgers needs left for my collection -- pretty much all high numbers and those pain-in-the-butt (looking at you, McMullen rookie) rookie stars cards, which I may never get.

Once I get the Campanella All-Star card, I'll have completed the 1961 Topps Dodgers set so I'll be zeroing in on that one soon.

Thanks for viewing my smattering of cards that fit so perfectly in my collection.

And I've already started shopping for the next time I come into a little extra cash.

Comments

Bulldog said…
Good cards. I really like the opeechee World Series card. Why they don't have those in every set I don't know.
acrackedbat said…
Past the halfway mark in buybacks? That's impressive!
GCA said…
I've got a bunch of Immortals extras I can put in with the couple cards I've set aside for you.
Fuji said…
As much as I'd like to forget the outcome of the 1989 World Series, I've gotta say the O-Pee-Chee subset is cool. Never knew it existed until now.