Skip to main content

C.A.: 2016 Topps Heritage Mets checklist

(I've figured out a way to post a few more times this week. We'll see how that works in the next few days. There is about to be "worlds colliding" hubbub in the night owl nest. Meanwhile, here's some Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 241st in a series):


I was watching the last few innings of the Mets-Pirates game last night. Noah Syndergaard was dealing and the New York audience, as is their habit, responded like he was setting 'em down in the Series.

Although I greatly enjoy this golden age of starting pitching, I miss the days of a finely-crafted complete game without anyone thinking we should throw rose petals in front of them as they walk off. (Of course Syndergaard wasn't allowed to complete his game after giving up one run and still possessing a 10-run lead).

Still Kershaw, Snydergaard, Sale, Cueto, Arrieta, Strasburg, Scherzer, Fernandez, Bumgarner, it's silly the amount of starting pitching that exists today.

Leave it to me, then, to focus on the hair.

As you know, Syndergaard hasn't received a haircut in a long time. I don't mind, because I was a kid in the '70s, and long hair was a regular thing among baseball players at that time. I happen to think ball players look good with long hair. They look cool.

I'd prefer a few more mustaches, and a lot less grooming, but we're headed in the right direction at the moment.

The problem comes when those long-haired guys take off their hats.

Long hair on dudes rarely looks good when there is no hat. The cap is the secret to the whole thing.

Seeing Syndergaard in the dugout without his hat reminds me of when there's a long-haired person walking in front of you and you think it's a woman and they turn around and ... wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh ... not a woman.

So, the secret to being cool as a long-haired baseball player is keeping that cap on at all times. In the locker room, in the shower, in the hotel, signing autographs. Have it fastened surgically if you must.

Because when you have long hair and a hat the possibilities are endless.

You can even look like Bozo the Clown.


Isn't that right, Jacob deGrom?

Comments

Angus said…
Great card, and great post. I'm sure we've all been there when a person has turned around and we've seen that they are not a woman.
Fuji said…
Oh man... that almost looks photoshopped. By the way... I too miss the days of pitchers going the distance... which is why I'm such a huge fan of Kershaw, Mad Bum, and Sale.