Skip to main content

What I collect as of right now


In the last post, I made an assumption at the end where I figured that everyone knew what I collected.

But more than five years into this blog, I still get emails from folks who still aren't quite sure. So I thought the end of 2012 would be a good time to review. It's evolved somewhat, but, overall it's remained the same. Feel free to bookmark this post as I'm sure the first thing you do when you get up in the morning is wonder "what cards can I get for Night Owl?"

And to illustrate this post, I've used the rest of the cards that reader David sent me. He's got a handle on what I collect, that's for sure. He pretty much hit every category.

So here we go. What I collect:


1. Dodgers

Any and all sets. If they're wearing a Dodger cap or listed as being with the Dodgers and I don't have it, I want it. Getting cards like this, from sets that I didn't realize existed (just because I list it on my want list doesn't mean I know it exists) are especially appreciated. These are all cards from something called Upper Deck Prospect Premiers. But there is a title on the front that says "Future Gems." You'd think it'd be called Upper Deck Future Gems.

I'm telling you, the card sets from 1995-2005 make me pay every day for not collecting during this period.


Here are some more Dodgers, from Fleer's update set from 1992. The only card I still need is some dude named Piazza.


2. Night Cards

This is a fringe collection of mine. I've only recently set up a binder for my night cards and am trying to fill the entire thing from 1-660 (or 792, I have to re-check). David sent me a nice stack of night cards from the '91 Stadium Club postseason series. You'll be seeing a lot of those in the future.


While I'm at it, here's an example of a card that comes close to what I collect on two different fronts, but misses at both. This is a twilight card, not a night card. It's also a card of one of my favorite players ever, Orel Hershiser. But he's wearing an Indians uniform. See above: only players dressed or listed as Dodgers need apply.

But it's a cool card.


3. Sets

Ah, this is the big one. I'm a born set-collector, raised in an era when 99 percent of card collectors did the same thing -- tried to complete a set. The Dodgers are near and dear to me, but collecting sets is closest to my heart.

Unfortunately, Topps has declared all-out war on the set collector, which has caused me to stop collecting current sets. So I've gone 100 percent retro and the following are the sets that I am interested in completing.

First, there is the 1975 Topps mini set (the card above is a mini, I swear). I'm making very good headway on this set, thanks to other collectors' generosity, but I expect it to be awhile before I finish it.


1977 Topps, on the other hand, I expect to complete in 2013. I don't have any big-money cards to buy in this set (not that there are many to begin with) and this set is plentiful. By the way, can you tell David is a Pirates fan?

Once I get '77 Topps finished, I'll put up a want list for 1979 Topps. When I get '77, '79 and '82 Topps completed, I think I'll tackle '81 Fleer and Donruss. Then I will have all of the childhood sets from 1975-85 completed (although I should really give '82 Fleer some future consideration, too).


Outside of '77 Topps, the set I am working on most seriously right now is 1972 Topps. That is until I hit a wall of high numbers and ponder selling off the two-thirds of the set I have right now.

But enough misery! Check out this card with the back of one player and the legs of another! Not a face in the entire photo.


Lastly, the set I expect will take me longer to complete than anything else. It's so daunting to me, that I'm invested in it only half-heartedly.

That didn't stop David from sending me five 1956 Topps cards. I don't even have a want list up for '56 Topps, yet all five cards were ones I needed.


I really like the cameo of Jim Gilliam on the last card.

I have been lucky enough to finish off several sets in the past year. That means you can expect me to add a couple more to the list. I've already mentioned the 1979 Topps set. Expect a want list on that in the coming months. I'm also going to tackle the remainder of the 2001 Upper Deck Decade '70s set. I hope to have a want list on that in the next few weeks.

I'd also like to finally finish off the 2009 Topps Chrome set. I don't even care about it anymore. But there are 14 cards that have sat there for too long. I've got to grab them before I'm tempted to sell off the whole thing.

But other than what I just mentioned that covers what I collect these days.

I expect all of the above to be my exclusive collecting domain for the next year. Outside of Dodgers, I will not add any 2013 sets to my want list. No matter how painful that may be.

Thanks for the great stuff again, David. And thanks to all who enhanced my collection in the previous 12 months.

I hope we can do it again next year.

Comments

Roy-Z said…
You got it. Manupatches a relics of ex-Dodgers in new uniforms. Cards forthcoming.
Nick said…
Great post! I should do something like this on my blog sometime.

I should have a few 2001 UD Decade cards from your needs when you get a wantlist up, I've accumulated a few extras of those over the years.

That Hershiser card is amazing, too.
Nachos Grande said…
Good stuff. My "what I collect" has gotten more and more fragmented as the years have worn on. In fact, I'd have to add LEGOs to the list now - something I never would have imaged (even a year ago). However, like you I'm a set collector first - good luck finishing your sets!
Jeff Laws said…
I have 3 '75 mini's that your welcome to if you need them. They were all mistake purchases that I already had. Let me know if you need them and I'll get them out in the mail, no return needed. They are #'s 219, 276, 545.
JediJeff said…
Does this mean you have put off completing the Justin Bieber set until 2014?
Good thing for you there are so many Dodgers to collect...that wantlist is so organized it makes me jealous.
Mark Aubrey said…
That Hershiser. You must divest yourself of it. It is not a night card. It is not a Dodger. It is not a set. It is not a mini. It is not yet in my collection.
night owl said…
Can't believe you don't have that one yet. It's yours.
Josh D. said…
Target currently has "One Direction" photo cards in the card aisle. I think that would be a good set to complete in 2013. I hear the Update set will feature the coveted "Taylor Swift Splits-Up Group" short-print that everyone needs. Although they appeared to be the same height as a regular baseball card, they were about twice as wide. Once you complete the set you can go on a never-ending journey to find the archival, acid-free pages that will fit and preserve your collection in perpetuity.

(What's this??? Panini makes a Collector's Binder for such things???

http://store.paniniamerica.net/one-direction-photocards-super-combo.html)