Skip to main content

Bow wow wow, yippee yo, yippee yay


This is an atomic refractor. It's my first one. Sooz sent it to me.

I never knew what an atomic refractor was until recently. When I first arrived on the blogging scene and read the now departed Wax Heaven, Mario brought up the atomic refractor almost every other post. He bowed before its glory, and everyone nodded in recognition.

I was completely lost.

That's because Bowman introduced the atomic refractor in the late 1990s when I was in my "silly rabbit, collecting is for kids" phase. I never even heard of the Bowman product that featured the atomic refractor -- Bowman's Best -- until three years ago.

So, I had never laid eyes on its wondrousness. I still don't know if the atomic refractor that came out in the late '90s is the same as today's version of the atomic refractor. They don't look the same.


At any rate, there is nothing that disputes the explosive greatness of the 2011 Clayton Kershaw Atomic Refractor. It is sparkly in a stained glass window kind of way. It is one of my new favorite cards. It is truly atomic.

I'm posting it in honor of Kershaw winning his 20th game tonight. Oh, I know the Dodgers have yet to play. But it's Kershaw and it's the Giants. I have a good feeling. Clayton's carried the Giants around in his back pocket most of his career. He's been pick-pocketed only by his own bullpen.

So, here's to Win No. 20, Clayton.

Some inspiration:






And finally,

Bow wow, wow, yippee yo, yippee yay.


Thanks, Sooz! It's so ... atomic.

Comments

BASEBALL DAD said…
Yeah, what you said ! That is nice.I had not seen one of those either.I knew about the Bowman's when they came out but never had any.
Ryan G said…
I have a couple '96 Atomic Refractors, probably in Georgia. The old ones look a lot more like the sparkly diamond parallels than the current crackedfractor style design. I think this year's atomics look okay though.
night owl said…
Success!

20 wins for Kershaw!!!!
Ryan G said…
If only the Giants would give their pitchers some run support. Lincecum should be a 20-game winner too. But congrats to Kershaw!
Anonymous said…
Haha. I just came on here to post this story for you, but I sorta had a feeling you'd already have something posted about it.

I know you're not an ESPN guy, but I figured you'd like this article for the title alone:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310920119
Sooz said…
You're welcome. :)

Glad you enjoy the cards. Your house makes a better home for them than in Yankeeland.