Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation, quarterfinal #5

(My folks are in town for a few days beginning today. That means I'll have less time to blog and wander through the wonderful card blog network. But I love my folks dearly, so I'll make the sacrifice. And I'll really appreciate the moments when I do get to pull free to sneak a look at what's going on in my favorite hobby. Time for Cardboard Appreciation):

Not much of a contest again in quarterfinal #4 of the Cardboard Appreciation Vote-off. Oscar Gamble and his hair won fairly easily over Rod Carew.

The totals:

Oscar Gamble, 1975 Topps: 27 votes
Rod Carew, 1975 Topps: 11 votes

Oscar advances.

And that brings me to the final quarterfinal. It's going to be a bit tougher than the previous two. If you've been paying attention, you know who is left.

The first card is one that we thought was hysterical as kids. Any card that can make you laugh is worth a vote. By the way, I'm willing to bet this photo was taken in Cleveland. Just a hunch. Something about there being no fans in the stands.

Here is the second card. Do you really want to vote against Bob Gibson? Look, he's daring you. Meanwhile, that card is in awfully fine condition for being 41 years old.

So, that's what I'm asking you to do -- choose between Boog and Bob. The poll is on the sidebar. Next week we'll begin the semifinals, and by the new year we'll have a grand Cardboard Appreciation champion.

Thrilling isn't it? I'm all tingly inside.

Comments

You may have commented on it before...my memory isn't what it used to be, but not only are there practically no fans at the Boog game, the ones that are there appear to be leaving. I wouldn't vote against Gibson if he were watching me, but I like the Boog!
Matt Runyon said…
The Boog Powell card was one of our favorites as kids. Gotta go with that one.
Gotta go with Gibson, I remember watching him pitch on TV in the 68 WS vs Det and that has to be one the most fantastic season for a pitcher since the deadball era.
cynicalbuddha said…
Wow Boog, Somebody actually named there kid Boog?? God I hope that's a nickname. Can you imagine the crap he got as a kid. It's not a far leap from Boog to Booger, Boogerbreath, ect. Sorry Gib but my votes for the Boog
night owl said…
You'll be relieved to know, cynicalbuddha, that Boog is a nickname. His real name is John.
Jeffrey Wolfe said…
I'm busting a blaster of Heritage High Numbers LIVE on Blog TV right now, check it out

http://www.blogtv.com/People/jeffreywolfe