Skip to main content

Binders! (and, oh yeah, cards)


I've been eagerly awaiting the binders that Kenny from Torren' Up Cards had promised me a couple of months ago.

I know that sounds sad. What has my life become? Waiting by the mail box for something I can pick up down the street for a couple of bucks?

But ever since I've gotten my card room in order, with everything in their place on their respective shelves, I've come to terms with exactly how many binders I need and that I don't have enough of them.

I counted the total amount of binders with cards in them. I have 91. Yeah, that sounds like a lot. It's not enough.

I believe I need about 100 to have everything worth storing in a binder stored in a binder. I could probably comfortably store all that without having overflow issues. But nine more binders amounts to money I don't want to spend (the bargain-basement binders at the dollar store or wherever fall apart too easily for my liking).

So free binders in the mail? Yes, please!

Kenny sent me two of them and I immediately dedicated them to my 1981 Fleer (complete) and 1982 Fleer (about 50 cards from complete) sets. They are filed like so:


The blank binder with no identifier card is the '82 Fleer binder.

So that worked out well. The '81 and '82 Fleer sets were sharing a binder and I'm pretty sure they were fighting. So now they have their own turf and the previous binder is protecting some oddball sets from the '80s.

Yet, there are so many more binder needs. Today I did buy a binder for my 1991 Score set. Still, there is the matter of a binder for my 2013 Panini Hometown Heroes set as well as replacements for at least four binders that are falling apart.

Kenny says he has even more extras, so I'll be anxiously awaiting those.

Meanwhile, he sent some cards, too! They're cards from all over the place, football, baseball, nonsports. Well, you'll see.


I'm starting with a page that was sitting in one of the binders already. (There were a bunch of pages in one of the binders, which I really appreciate). It contains a few Dodgers from the Update set. I restrained myself from properly orientating the horizontal Kershaw card. Also, the Bellinger 150 Years card is a definite need. Filling out the rest is a Sabre and a New York Ranger, who is now a Sabre and so far this season has been ... *shrug*, and two lovely ladies brightening up 2012 A&G.


More Sabres from last year and this year. The sight of Sabres cards isn't exactly uplifting these days. I'm starting to think that the Sabres will forever tread water and it's sad to see someone like Jack Eichel on a team like that. He was supposed to lift them out of neutral.


I do appreciate this card. It's my first Zach Bogosian card. Bogosian, who likes to be injured a lot, is from a town an hour from me and our newspaper has done several stories on him.



Let's move to some football from the good ol' days. A couple of these guys were on the last Buffalo Bills team to win a playoff game (Dec. 30, 1995). Saturday's game was rather deflating as I though Buffalo would get at least one playoff win before exiting.



Bills and a Bengal from the "Bengals Are Evil" Era.


Donruss from last year demonstrating the silliness of including legends with current players who could barely stay on the team.



Here we have the current Donruss set with players who were actually teammates, although Lorenzo Alexander just retired.


Kenny likes stickers. I don't know what to do with them. I will defend my card collecting habit to any grown adult who still considers it a children's activity but I can't do the same with stickers. I'll just shrug and say, "yeah, you got me there, I'm a child."

Also, I've discovered with these stickers that I can no longer read them without straining or glasses. The type is too small, and therefore must be for kids.


Here is an unopened pack of those tiny things. There is one card in it, apparently, so I'll probably open it at some point.


Getting farther away from my traditional collecting interests. I do casually collect baseball team pocket schedules. These are the short-season Class A teams in the NYC area. The Staten Island Yankees are weasels who stole the team from where I live in Watertown, which we knew would happen pretty early on after the new owners took over. Not only were they from the NYC area but they emitted an insincere PR vibe in which you knew they were up to no good. So, yeah, the Yankees suck on all levels. Got no problem with the Brooklyn team though.


Per usual, Kenny packaged his cards in empty wrappers from Japan. Well ... all but one of them were empty. The other contained pictures of young ladies who don't seem to like their clothes.



Let's move on to baseball shall we?

Here are some logo-less cards of current Dodger Chris Taylor when he was with the Mariners. I am trying desperately to come up with something else to say.

OK, moving on ...


Woooo! It's a card from the old days of Zippy-Zappings! I sure do like a Dodger Sega Card-Gen card. I wonder how Chad Billingsley fills his time in 2020?


Besides the binders, this was the best part of the package.

These are from Baseball Cards magazine from 1991 and, of course, I want these because they have the '75 design!

The David Robinson card is a nice bonus because I interviewed him once. I will have to cut these cards out carefully. I will, of course, practice on the Will Clark card first in case of any slip ups.


Those are some more. I do have the Dave Justice card already so if anyone has a need for it, let me know.

That was one of the most variety-packed boxes I've received in a long time.

And I think Kenny's created a couple more binder needs with these cards.

Comments

Zippy Zappy said…
Glad you got the stuff safely and that the binders were immediately useful for something. I've still got a few more binders of the 1 and 1/2 variety and I'm trying to figure out how to fit them into boxes. Be warned that the next package probably might not be accompanied by as many cards.

Also if/when you do open the pack of stickers you'll find that the card is of a Bills player.
Billy Kingsley said…
Stickers are just cards with adhesive on them. I'm a recent convert to including them in my card Collection, and I'm already regretting the years I passed them by.
I hate Dave Justice, but I need and want that damn card.
night owl said…
It's yours! ... And I know the feeling.
Lee Hero said…
Even as a kid I despised buying binders and pages. Most of the time, my mind would tell me you don't want to blow your money on that stuff when you can just buy more cards. Before long, I had cards all over the place. Cards in shoe boxes. Cards in envelope boxes. Cards on top of the tv. Cards piled in corners. Cards in stacks under my bed. Cards stored in things you should never store cards in. Now 30 years later, I still despise buying storage for my cards. My wife is a saint as she hardly ever complains about cards being in places they don't belong, lol. But, I am alot better about keeping them organized and stored now.
Old Cards said…
The binders and pages are probably worth more than those 80's cards you are putting in them, but as collectors, we don't care!
RunForeKelloggs said…
What timing. Today, for the first time in my life I bought three binders from an LCS. Thanks for the laugh with your Will Clark comment.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Said it on Twitter but it bears repeating, aside from not replacing the baseball with a basketball, that David Robinson 1975ish card does two things thatimprove the design tremendously. First, the white signature takes it from being just a facsimile to a more prominent design element. Second, the way his hand breaks out of the frame is one of my favorite things.
Jason T. Carter said…
I love the BBCM cards. Some of my favorite cards from the 80s and 90s are the "faux" cards from magazines.

JT, The Writer's Journey
Fuji said…
Shame we don't live near each other, because I have access to hundreds of binders each school year. Teachers are always cleaning out their classrooms at the end of each school year and they leave stuff on the tables for other teachers to take... and there are always tons of binders. Plus there's a place called RAFT (I think it stands for Resource Area For Teachers) where companies donate stuff and RAFT sells it to teachers for very low prices. There are binders in bulk. Last, but not least... I see binders at the flea market for $1 or less on a regular basis.
Matt said…
Seeing Sabres and Bills cards will always be a good way to start out my morning. That being said, watching the last quarter of that Bills Wild Card game was just downright painful. I didn't even bother watching overtime.
Jafronius said…
Darn, I was hoping to see some of these anti-clothing young ladies.

And the 1975 Admiral go me thinking...if Topps still had a basketball and football license, they'd be doing all all sorts of parallels and inserts like they do with baseball...so in this alternate universe, would you be collecting 1975 themed basketball and football cards?
GCA said…
I still have an excess of binders from my school system too. They're just so expensive to ship more than two at a time!
Nick said…
Pages often tend to be the more pressing need for me than binders -- I usually have good luck at the thrift store with the latter. But I'm definitely getting to a point where I'm becoming desperate for bigger binders (aka three, four-inch ones). Some of mine are getting overfilled and/or falling apart.

Oh and the cards -- I'm really jealous of those Baseball Card Magazine panels! Some of my all-time favorite oddballs right there.
gregory said…
The 100 Binder Club. That should grant you some sort of VIP access at cards shows and card shops, don't you think?