Yesterday, I experienced one of those moments of synchronicity that are probably all too common for baseball card collectors. I know they are for me.
While shuffling through some cards while the game played on TV in the background, I came across this night card of former Diamondback/current Met Chris Young just as the name "Chris Young" was uttered by the TV broadcaster.
But the TV game wasn't the Mets, it was the Mariners and Tigers. And the Chris Young mentioned wasn't the hitter, but the veteran pitcher, who started for Seattle.
That caused me to wonder how many card groupings I have of two different players with the same name. Not including father and son, of course (sorry, Sandy Alomar and Sandy Alomar Jr.)
I immediately went to my incomplete card database to find out:
1. Mike Adams (Twins outfielder from '70s and recent Phillies reliever)
2. Frank Baker (Indians outfielder in '70s and Yankees/Orioles infielder of '70s)
3. Jose Bautista (Orioles pitcher of late '80s and current Blue Jays slugger)
4. Ryan Braun (current Brewers hitter and Royals reliever of few years ago)
5. Kevin Brown (ex-Dodgers/Rangers/Orioles/Marlins/Padres/Yankees pitcher; Mets/Brewers reliever of early '90s; and Rangers/Blue Jays/Brewers catcher from late '90s/early '00s)
6. Mike Brown (Angels/Pirates outfielder of mid-'80s and Red Sox/Mariners pitcher of mid-80s)
7. Bill Butler (current Royals first baseman/DH and Royals/Twins pitcher of early '70s)
8. Dave Campbell (Padres infielder of early '70s and Braves reliever of late '70s)
9. Chris Carter (current Astros slugger and Red Sox outfielder from 2008-09)
10. Tim Corcoran (Tigers/Phillies outfielder/first baseman and Rays reliever from late '00s)
11. John Doherty (Tigers pitcher of mid-90s and Angels first baseman of mid-70s)
12. Adam Eaton (current White Sox/Diamondbacks outfielder and Padres/Rangers/Phillies pitcher of '00s)
13. Chris George (early '00s Royals pitcher and 1991 Brewers pitcher)
14. Bob Gibson (Cardinals Hall of Fame pitcher of '60s and mid-80s Brewers reliever)
15. Brian Giles (Indians/Pirates/Padres outfielder of '90s/'00s and Mets infielder of early '80s)
16. Alex Gonzalez (Marlins/Reds/Braves shortstop who played with Tigers earlier this season and Blue Jays shortstop of '90s/early '00s)
17. Luis Gonzalez (Astros/Diamondbacks/Dodgers hitter of '90s/'00s and Rockies role player from 2004-06)
18. Tom Gorman (Kansas City A's pitcher of 1950s and mid-1980s Mets reliever)
19. Greg Harris (Padres/Rangers/Red Sox pitcher of '80s/'90s and Padres/Rockies pitcher of late '80s/'90s)
20. Ramon Hernandez (Pirates pitcher of '70s and A's/Padres/Orioles/Reds catcher of 2000s)
21. Jose Herrera (Astros/Expos outfielder of late '60s and mid-1990s A's outfielder)
22. Jim Hughes (Boys of Summer Dodgers reliever and mid-1970s Twins starter)
23. Brian Hunter (Braves/Reds/bunch of other teams first baseman of '90s and Astros/Tigers/bunch of other teams outfielder of '90s)
24. Ron Jackson (White Sox first baseman of '50s and Twins/Angels corner infielder of late '70s/early '80s)
25. Bob Johnson (Rangers catcher of early '80s; Pirates pitcher of '70s; and Orioles infielder of '60s)
26. Dave Johnson (Orioles/Braves infielder of '60s/early '70s; Twins pitcher of mid-1970; and Orioles reliever of early '90s)
27. Randy Johnson (Mariners/Astros/Yankees strikeout ace of '90s/'00s, Twins DH of early '80s and Braves infielder of early '80s)
28. Jeff Jones (A's reliever of '80s and 1983 Reds hitter)
29. Tim Jones (late '80s/early '90s Cardinals infielder and 1977 Pirates pitcher)
30. Pat Kelly (White Sox/Orioles hitter of '70s; Yankees infielder of '90s; and Blue Jays catcher from 1980)
31. Steve Kline (Yankees pitcher of '70s and Expos/Cardinals/Giants reliever of '90s/'00s)
32. Mark Lee (Padres pitcher of late '80s and Brewers pitcher of early '90s)
33. Scott Lewis (Angels pitcher of early '90s and 2008-09 Indians pitcher)
34. Luis Lopez (Mets/Brewers infielder of '90s and early '90s Indians/Dodgers pinch-hitter)
35. Mike Marshall (Dodgers/Expos/Tigers/Braves reliever of '70s and Dodgers/Red Sox first baseman of '80s/early '90s)
36. Carlos Martinez (current Cardinals reliever and White Sox corner infielder of early '90s)
37. Jose Martinez (1969-70 Pirates infielder and 1994 Padres pitcher)
38. Pedro Martinez ('90s/'00s Red Sox/Expos/Dodgers pitching great and mid-90s Padres/Astros reliever)
39. Ramon Martinez (1990s Dodgers starter and Giants/Cubs utility infielder from '00s)
40. Brad Mills (early '80s Expos utility player and recent Blue Jays/A's pitcher)
41. Bobby Mitchell (mid-70s Brewers DH and early '80s Twins center fielder)
42. Jose Morales (Expos, Twins, Dodgers pinch-hitter of '70s/early '80s and late '00s Twins catcher)
43. Joe Morgan (Reds/Astros Hall of Fame second baseman and late '80s Red Sox manager -- also played for Braves, Indians, A's in early '60s)
44. John Morris (late '80s Cardinals outfielder and early '70s Brewers/Giants pitcher)
45. John O'Donoghue (1960s A's/Indians pitcher and 1993 Orioles reliever)
46. Steve Ontiveros (1970s Giants/Cubs third baseman and 1980s/90s A's pitcher)
47. Dave Roberts (1970s/80s Padres/Tigers/Astros/Pirates pitcher; 1970s Padres/Rangers infielder; and '00s Dodgers/Red Sox/Padres outfielder)
48. Jeff Robinson (late '80s Pirates reliever and late '80s/early '90s Tigers starter)
49. Henry Rodriguez (1990s Dodgers/Expos/Cubs outfielder, 2012-13 Reds infielder, and recent A's/Nationals reliever)
50. Greg Smith (Cubs infielder of late '80s and 2008 A's pitcher)
51. Mike Stanton (Mariners reliever of '80s and Braves/Yankees/Mets/host of other teams reliever of '90s/'00s
52. Frank Thomas (White Sox Hall of Famer and Pirates slugger from '50s)
53. Rich Thompson (Indians/Expos reliever of late '80s and 2012 Rays outfielder)
54. Bernie Williams (Yankees center fielder of '90s/'00s and early '70s Giants outfielder)
55. Reggie Williams (Dodgers outfielder of late '80s and Angels outfielder of late '90s)
56. Chris Young (A's/Diamondbacks/Mets outfielder and Padres/Rangers/Mets/Mariners starting pitcher)
Well, that was a few more than I thought. But most of them I knew already.
If you see any obvious omissions it's either because I don't have a card of one or the other players in the combo or because I've only completed the cards through last names with Ms in my database (for example, I added the 1950s Frank Thomas to this list even though I haven't listed him in the database yet).
Also, I didn't include players with same-sounding names but different spellings, such as Chris and Cris Carpenter.
And if this post looks familiar, I did something similar a couple years ago.
I'll try to come back to this list and complete it as I continue to go through my database, but no promises because you know how that goes.
OK, I think that's all the research posts for now, because good gosh this post took like two days to do.
Next up something easy.
Like a trade post.
Night card binder candidate: Chris Young, 2010 Topps Update, #US-124
Does it make the binder?: Yep.