Skip to main content

Puzzled


I'm returning to that terrific card box from David -- the box that was my National -- for one last post.

I mentioned in that post that I received several base cards from 2013 Topps Series 2. I'm still debating whether I want to complete the thing or not (leaning toward "not").

But tucked in that box of 2013 cards were what I thought was packaging filler.


Donruss puzzle pieces.

Through the life of this blog, I have received my share of Donruss puzzle remnants that served as filler. Those thick cardboard slabs are excellent packing material and I have probably around 40 pieces just sitting in a box in my basement.

It's quite the variety ...


An arm of Aaron here ...


An ear of Yaz there ...


And half a cranium of Stan the Man.


It's like a slaughterhouse floor for cardboard greats.

I had even accumulated seven different pieces for the Duke Snider puzzle from the 1984 Donruss set (yet another reason why it's the only Donruss set that matters).

But even though I was one-third of the way to a complete Snider puzzle, it just sat there. Duke, like the late Jim Croce sang, "looked like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple of pieces missing."

 In fact, I have never attempted to finish off any Donruss puzzle.

I think it's partly because of the attitude I had toward Donruss and Fleer when they first arrived in 1981. Because the two companies couldn't put gum with their cards, they had to find something else. Fleer went with stickers -- harmless fun but kind of babyish. Donruss went with puzzle pieces, which frankly seemed like a lot of work to me.

I was already collecting a set. I didn't need to collect puzzle pieces.

My attitude has changed now that I'm slightly more mature. A large puzzle of the Duke would be pretty cool, even if I don't have any place to display it.

But as I pulled the puzzle "filler" out of the box, I started to realize, I'd have to start thinking about displaying very soon.

This was the second puzzle piece ...



... and this was the third ...




Eighteen more "filler cards" later and I had my first complete 1980s Donruss puzzle.




The pieces haven't been punched out, of course.

So ...

What to do with this thing?

The card room walls are full. I'd probably have to negotiate something down to get the Duke puzzle up there.

I'd be interested in hearing any alternative options from those who have completed Donruss puzzles.

Signed,

Puzzled.

Comments

Captain Canuck said…
for me they go in pages and are at the back of the appropriate donruss set.
night owl said…
Ha! I thought of that after I wrote the post and that's where the Snider pieces are right now.
JediJeff said…
FYI - it's "...Leroy looked like a jigsaw puzzle with a couple pieces gone..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwPRm5UMe1A

I'm with Canuck - unless you plan on hanging it, just slip in into some pages.
night owl said…
Glad you read every word. I know the song.
JediJeff said…
I more like just correcting the errors. I'm like the Blogger proof reader. Only cuter than your average Joe and/or Jill
Commishbob said…
My puzzle pieces always went into the trash.
--David said…
First, I have the Rod Carew assembled in a frame on my wall. It is one of my favorites.

Second, Jeff isn't kidding. He catches me when I'm napping at the keyboard and is quick to point out a typo or an errant player assignment in my giveaway. I find it very helpful - like a second set of eyes!
petethan said…
I say keep it the way it is. I've never heard of Duk Kesni Ider, but it looks like he was pretty good...
BaseSetCalling said…
Puzzles are meant to be assembled and enjoyed, not 'collected'.

Art is meant to be rotated from the collection out into public view once in a while.

The jigsaw puzzle hobbyists have all the little accessories you need to get it done so that Duke can live forever, and make the card room a dynamic exhibit space.
defgav said…
I remember when I first started collecting (1990), I'd actually get excited about getting a Yaz piece I needed. It was like the first thing I'd check! But soon, yeah, I realized collectors didn't really care about these puzzles and the whole "you need to ruin it as a 'card' to put it together" aspect was kinda frustrating.
Fuji said…
A few years ago, I went on a mission to build all of the different Donruss & Leaf puzzles. I'm still missing three of the Mantle pieces and the complete 1992 Rod Carew puzzle.

If I had a true mancave with lots of wall space, I'd definitely get these puzzles framed and hung up. But since I don't, the collection is stored in a binder for my viewing pleasure.