Skip to main content

C.A., the review 3 (semifinal 1)


I'm full of good news today.

First, I'm on vacation.

I know you're asking what that means for you. It probably doesn't mean anything, other than I might have a little more time to put together a halfway intelligent post. Or maybe not. You know how life goes these days.

But I will be in a better mood when I write these things. Again, I don't know how that benefits you.

The second bit of news might benefit you though.

I asked UltraPro -- the card page people -- how they were coming with their '75 mini page research. As you know, I'm chiefly interested in pages that fit my 1975 Topps minis. But ever since Topps went on a binge of minis that are approximately that same size, it's rather obvious that somebody needs to make a page to accommodate them. Between the 2012 minis and the '72 style minis this year and a bunch of others, there is a whole lot of floating around in oversized pockets.

Well, I think UltraPro got the memo. This was their response to me today:


That sounds like progress to me!!!

I can't wait to get all my '75 minis in pages that fit them. And suddenly I sound like a mother trying to dress her 4-year-old.

So let's move on to some other good news:

We have reached the semifinals of Cardboard Appreciation The Review 3!

I told you it'd be quick. I don't like to have these things linger (the first vote-off lasted half a decade I think).

As you probably know, our run of 1970s winners is over. It came up one card short of a complete sweep. The 1981 Donruss card of Joe Charboneau snuck in and is the eighth and final card in the semifinals.

Here is the vote total:

1. Joe Charboneau, 1981 Donruss: 17 votes
2. A's team checklist, 1977 Topps: 8 votes
3. Billy Loes, 1953 Topps, 6 votes
4. Joe Garagiola, 1994 Upper Deck Heroes, 4 votes
5. Jim Leyritz, 1998 Topps, 2 votes
6. Don Reynolds, 1979 Topps, 1 vote
7. Ted Sizemore, 1975 Topps, 1 votes
8. Casey Canadaele, 1988 Score, 0 votes
(39 total votes)

Voting was a little light, another sign that half the world was on vacation last week. But now that you're all back, everyone can do some choosing.

This is where it gets tough. For the first semifinal, there are four premier 1970s cards and you've got to pick one.

Here they are:


1. Frank Robinson, 1973 Topps

Best feature: White-out used on a uniform.



2. Gary Carter, 1977 Topps

Best feature: The Kid could smile.



3. Vida Blue, 1971 Topps

Best feature: Peace, bro.



4. Len Randle, 1978 Topps

Best feature: Brown-and-gold Padre tries to tag head-first sliding Met.


Those are your selections. Please vote on the colorful sidebar.

I've already put my money down on who is going to win. But I ain't telling.

Comments

John Bateman said…
It comes down between Blue and Randle and I decided if I only could own one, I would go with the more vintage card, loves the A's green unis- Blue was on top of the world in 71 - I think Lenny punched Frank in 1978.
Commishbob said…
Interesting that Ultra Pro hasn't had the pages for the minis. They were made by other companies at one point because my '75 minis are in pages that hold them perfectly. The pages don't have a manufacturer on them. I've been lucky that none of my cards seem to have been damaged by the cheap no name pages I put them into way back when.

Oh, and I think that Vida Blue card is fabulous.
JediJeff said…
Oh man....I thought this would be easy. If I reload the page 4 times can I vote 4 times?

I am in Chicago after all - vote early/vote often.
Fuji said…
75T mini pages? Can't wait for those to come out. As for the vote... It'd be sacrilegious for me not to go with Vida. Peace out!
sg488 said…
Gotta go with Vida ,peace out!
GCA said…
Vida was the last card I needed to fill in the '71 set, even though I had one in my player collection. Still having a hard time finding an upgrade.