Skip to main content

Three reasons why card shows rule

I'm just back from my card show journey, and I don't have time to go into an involved post over what I experienced. That will have to wait until some time tomorrow.

But I did enjoy myself, and I was happy with what I found.

To give a slight sampling of what I grabbed, here are three reasons why card shows rule and why they should never, ever go away:


Reason #1: A 1973 Kellogg's 3-D-That's-Not-3-D Willie Davis. Back in '73, Kellogg's decided to issue a 2-D variation set of the 3-D cards. Collectors rioted in the streets looking for these special rare variations. You think all those protests were over the oil embargo?

OK, not really. The 1973 Kellogg's set was two dimensions only. I don't know why. I'm guessing that after three years of issuing cards, Kellogg's got a big head and thought they could release non-3-D cards like Topps did and people would fall at their feet. But then sales of Frosted Flakes tanked and Kellogg's was back to 3-D the following year.


Reason #2: A 2011 Wrapper-Redemption-Black-Diamond-Shiny-52-Style Clayton Kershaw. It took me about 15 minutes of searching to determine definitively what this is. Modern cards like to confuse the hell out of collectors and then think we'll let them off the hook because the cards are all kinds of mind-blowing shiny.

And you know what? They're right! I don't even care that Kershaw isn't wearing a cap! Or that he's Amish! It just doesn't matter!


Reason #3: A 1962 Topps Al Kaline. For 2 dollars! It's Kaline! From 1962! And it's 2 dollars! I know it's scuffed on every edge and the corners are as round as a Milwaukee Brewers first baseman! I don't care! Because it's Al Kaline! From 1962! And it's 2 dollars!

Believe it or not, that is not even close to my personal post record for exclamation points.

More exclamation points to come tomorrow.

Comments

Spiegel83 said…
Card shows are awesome! I'm glad you had fun and were able to add some nice cards to your collection.
A2 Wolverine said…
Got any interest in trading the Kaline?