Skip to main content

Letting Canada come to me

 
Over recent years, I've often seen online people joking, or being serious, about moving to Canada, due to various reasons related to the government or politics.
 
I have no desire to move to Canada, even the thought of one day when I retire moving elsewhere within the state sounds overwhelming. Besides, the most desirable time to move to Canada would have been when I was a youngster, during the '70s and '80s, when O-Pee-Chee issued its very best baseball cards on store shelves and counter tops throughout that massive country.
 
I would have loved to open OPC packs, say in 1979. But not if Topps packs weren't also available, then I'd just be pining to live in the U.S.
 
No, the easiest way to experience Canada for me, outside of Tim Horton's, is letting the country come to me by obtaining those OPC cards.
 
Recently I landed a few extras from Bo of Baseball Cards Come to Life! He had just what I'm looking for.
 

It was just six cards and three of them were from 1982. I've been a little slow to come around on the greatness of the differences in 1980s OPC, concentrating on the 1970s, but most of the '80s ones are just as great with the color swapping and the FRENCH ON THE FRONT.

These two are probably the biggest gets ... well, maybe one other one beats these out.



I hope you know what I mean by the "color swaps" but just in case some newbie is reading my blog (what are the chances of that?), I will demonstrate with a visual.


The Topps card is green-and-purple, the OPC card is pink-and-orange. The top "hockey stick" on the Topps card is blank, the OPC card hockey stick features the position in English. The Topps card has a Topps cut-out logo. The OPC card has semi-circle background for the OPC logo.
 
I can't forget to mention the transaction words stamped onto the photo. (Later in the decade, OPC stamped the transaction but didn't update the graphic colors and teams. That's too bad).

I could see the differences in OPC cards contrasted with Topps cards hundreds upon hundreds of times and I will still get a shot of adrenaline every time I see them. Always fascinating. 



1979 OPC is another one of the greats thanks to the color swapping. Everyone knows the Greg Gross card in the set gets a red Cubs ribbon -- except in O-Pee-Chee!!! Also, don't forget the ragged borders.



The king of all O-Pee-Chee sets is the 1977 set and I've made the most progress with this one. This Jesse Jefferson card is another one of the Blue Jays variations in the set, everyone's first real look at the Blue Jays in their actual uniforms instead of the airbrushed weirdness in Topps' set.



Final card is a great one. There isn't a lot of opportunity for me to pick up playing days Oscar Gamble cards that I don't already own. So even though this card comes with no difference on the front, it's probably the peak card of the lot.

Many thanks to Bo. I've got the return cards set aside but it's March so who knows when I'll get to sending them (I've got six straight work days ahead of me, plus various life issues). But I did get a few envelopes out the door Monday so I'm not totally slacking.

Comments

I'm expecting a package from Bo any day now and there should some of those goody OPC within. Looking forward to it.
1984 Tigers said…
I had a chance to pick up the full 1977 opc set (264 cards only) some years ago and was delighted with the new photos for Blue Jays and also Tony Perez as an Expo. A total of 26 jays cards, almost 10 percent of the set. And all in their new uniforms in Dunedin. Some guys like Leon Hooten and John Scott and Bob Bailor were only part of 4 player rookie cards in the topps set with airbrush.

There are 29 Expos including solo card for Mgr Dick Williams. The only bummer was so card for Andre Dawson rookie.
1984 Tigers said…
Meant to say no, not so, about Dawson
Bo said…
Glad you enjoy them! No rush on a return.
Grant said…
I don't recall having ever seen the OPC '82 All-Star cards before, pretty neat.
Jon said…
We'd be a lot better off as a country if the people who are always threatening to leave would actually follow through and just go; wherever that may be.
Fuji said…
I've only been to Canada once... and it was awesome. Vancouver was so beautiful. And I did try and hunt down some O-Pee-Chee while I was there, but came home empty handed. Never considered moving there. Wondering if Canadians even want disgruntled Americans moving there. I guess the one benefit is that some of them would bring their American trading cards :D
Anonymous said…
Somewhat tangential topic for your Mr. Owl -- speaking of 1977 variations, what are your thoughts on the 1977 cloth stickers set? There were some some changes in photo cropping (Nolan Ryan, John Montefusco, others), some updates (Tony Perez on Montreal with a different photo than the 1977 OPC Montreal Perez card, Richie Zisk on Chicago cropped differently than his OPC Chicago card) and the removal of the All-Star banner which gave those cards a different look, particularly the Garvey card which made him look like he was crouching on a barren pale green planet. Wondering if you rank the cloth stickers set behind the OPC in 1977 coolness, and if so, how far behind. Thanks for your comments on where you stand on this important topic.
night owl said…
Like the cloth stickers quite a bit. Much smaller set than '77 OPC but still packs a punch. I've got a handful (including the Garvey), it'll be a set goal at some point.