Skip to main content

Old days

 
U.L. Washington passed away Sunday.

It was a little distressing when I found that out, not because I had a firm connection to Washington, who was the shortstop for the 1980s Kansas City Royals teams that repeatedly made the postseason, but because it took a long time to find credible information on the news.

One big reason for that is the demise of traditional news sources, which ain't good, but also the immediacy of social media, which often doesn't place a lot of importance on how they discovered that information. But another reason is a lot of folks on earth now just don't remember the 1970s and 1980s. It's not important to them. Now that is more than a little distressing to me.
 
So Washington falls into that category of "incidental" baseball players of the past for many people. He wasn't George Brett or Tony Gwynn, someone who enters into fans' consciousness automatically whether they were around for that player's games or not. Washington's career ended before the '90s began.
 
Perhaps that's on my generation for not promoting players like this enough, I just assumed everyone knew about Washington and his toothpick.
 

I've written a handful of posts about Washington, including specific ones that displayed the two cards I've just shown. Washington was a past Brush With Greatness post as he's the first person with Major League experienced that I interviewed.
 
That's why I acquired the Welland Pirates card of him as a manager because that was the year I talked to him and he was working in that capacity. In fact I talked to him during Welland's first-ever game as a Class A franchise in the New York-Penn League.
 
I mentioned previously that I wrote a sidebar during that game (it was also the first game for our beat team, the Niagara Falls Rapids, and our main writer did the game story) and talked to Washington face-to-face on the field, just me and him. There was that toothpick.
 

 That's the quote I got from Washington in the middle column shown here.

What I didn't remember until going through the clips that I've long stored away is that I talked to Washington twice. I interviewed him in Welland, Ontario, the following day during the Rapids' first road game.

I remember the game, it was played in a public park where high school teams played because Welland's new stadium wasn't finished yet (I would later cover a game in that new stadium at the end of the season when Niagara Falls needed a win to clinch -- they didn't get it).


There are a couple of quotes in there from Washington, unsurprisingly mentioning speed as a key aspect of the team. Washington was known as a speedster during his career.

Those articles were written when I was very early in my pro journalist days (please excuse any newbie writing or typos). That was 35 years ago!

Also Washington was 70 when he passed. Just about everyone I followed in baseball as a youngster is in their 70s now. These are old days when these players played. Just about everything I collect is from the old days.
 


For example, this card.

No way, you're saying, that's a card from 1994 Fleer. That slickness is NEW.

No it's not. 1994 Fleer is 30 years old, you guys. It's OLD.
 
But that was almost the newest card that I landed in the latest Time Travel exchange I made with Matt at Diamond Jesters (I hope to get the return out the door this weekend). With a couple of notable exceptions, everything else was mad old. Like decades and decades ago. Ye Olden Tymes.
 


This awesome 1983 O-Pee-Chee card of Gator is 41 years old. That's right, it's not even my 40-year high school reunion year anymore.


These O-Pee-Chee cards are a little newer but nearing their 40th anniversary as well. I like how Schmidt and Kennedy seem to be speaking their transactions.
 


This card is as old as me and that's enough of that.
 


A little younger than me but still old as all heck. I already have this card but no one had claimed it at Diamond Jesters for months (what the hell) so I had to take it home.
 
Now for some newer stuff just so people under 40 can have something to relate to.
 

I snagged this autograph for Nick. I think Wade Jr. is wearing one of those City Connect precursors, remember those awful all-white and all-black uniforms MLB players were forced to wear that one year? A few years later, they lose all perspective and make this look like an unlicensed Topps card.
 


I added the two 2024 cards for the team collection. (I've since pulled the Graterol card, but no matter since I like the set so much).
 


I think Matt awesomely threw in this Blue Print Kershaw card to go with the others.

So NOT ALL of the cards that I want in my collection are Old As Dirt, just most of them. And if I still need some convincing that almost everything I collect a bunch of people think is archaic, there was this other thing I came across in another story I wrote back in 1989 regarding the Rapids baseball team, referencing Niagara Falls native Sal Maglie.
 
The story was about the Welland Pirates team that U.L. Washington managed. It mentioned that Maglie played in Welland in 1944.
 
I remember back in the '80s when 1944 felt like so damn long ago. Black & white pictures. World wars. The Andrew Sisters and Glenn Miller. Just completely unrelatable moments from my grandparents' time.
 
In 1989, 1944 was 45 years ago. Today, 45 years ago is ... 1979!
 
😮

Comments

Old Cards said…
I remember U.L. Washington and his toothpick very well. Sorry to hear of his passing. When He was a player I seem to remember some talk about setting a bad example for the kids, because playing with a toothpick in your mouth could be dangerous. The '65 and '68 cards are my favorite in your post, but I am closer to the 'old days' than you are.
Nice cards. The 45 year difference from 1989 to 1944 seems vastly more ancient that 2024 to 1979.
Jamie Meyers said…
I was saddened by the passing of both U L and Ed Ott, which occurred within a day or so of each other. I recently wrote to U L and he signed a card for me. I had no idea he was sick. I met Ed Ott a couple of times when he was managing in the Can-Am League. He was friendly to me but I heard him go off on an umpire after a game one night with a rant that would have made Earl Weaver proud. I was interested to see Niagara Falls manager Rick Magnante mentioned in your article. Used to see him every year when he was managing Vermont in the disgracingly defunct NY-Penn League. Real nice guy. He is still managing, now at the high school level. MLB fired him in 2021 because of a disagreement over Covid. He felt his players were at risk and didn’t want them or the staff unduly exposed and they fired him for it.

I have been working on getting as many cards from the 75 set signed as possible. Many of those guys are around 80 now. It doesn’t seem possible.
yeah, we're old, but that is a good thing!
bryan was here said…
With the passing of UL and Ed Ott this week, we're up to 108 players who had cards in the 1981 Topps set who have departed this mortal coil. I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that the youngest player in that set (Fernando Valenzuela) is 63.
Jamie Meyers said…
Larry Demery died recently, at age 70. He was in the 1975 set. I was actually surprised he was that young. Without doing tons of research I'd guess that Robin Yount might be the youngest guy in that set now, at age 68. George Brett is 70. Yount was still a teenager in 1975. Not sure if there were any other teenagers in that set at the time it was released.
Matt said…
At the end of the month I'll be starting my 50th year of existence, so I was already feeling old before this post! ;) For the record, that poor Willie Davis had been stuck in my Time Travel stack for 3 years before you rescued him!
Michael D said…
Nice writing in the articles. I read what I could in the pics. I remember Washington being interviewed on TV one time and I kept expecting that toothpick to fall out of his mouth but it never did.
1984 Tigers said…
I remember watching the 1980 WS and how I wondered if UL ever spit out the toothpick if he had a guy bearing down on a DP grounder.

Ed Ott was one the trivial answer to a TWIB Saturday show (google TWIB if you are younger. It was an awesome Saturday morning show to watch as a teen). Which player has the shortest name combined first and last names. Ed was the only guy at 5 characters.

Yikes...108 guys who've left us for the great diamond in the sky from the 1981 set. Graduated from HS June 1981 and started at U Mich as a Freshman that Fall when the Dodgers finally got past the Yanks in the WS.

1984 doesn't seem that ago but the 40th anniversary article in Beckett vintage really makes me wonder...where have all the years gone by?
1984 Tigers said…
Bryan,

I did some checking on baseball almanac (deaths by year) and it appears former Red Sox, Cardinal and a few other clubs Lynn McGlothen died the first from the guys in the 1981 Topps set. He died in 1984 in a mobile home fire. Francisco Barrios died in 1982 but his last topps card was 1980. He was in 81F.

From my Tigers, 5 guys have passed on, most notably Mark Fidrych.
Fuji said…
83OPC is 41 years old. Damn. I feel old. As for Washington... I remember his name mostly from this baseball simulation game I played back in the early 80's on our Apple IIe. The 1980 KC Royals were one of the teams featured on that game... and he was their starting SS that season.
Jon said…
I suspect that people not caring about the past is gonna continue to get worse. Which means that the accurate reporting of past events will continue to get worse as well.