Skip to main content

The obsession begins

 
Many readers have probably been bracing for this year. They know my love for 1975 Topps and that I have been looking forward to 2024 Heritage for that reason for as long as the blog has been going.

For the rest of you? I apologize for my behavior in the months ahead.
 
This is the first of many obsession posts about 2024 Heritage. The checklist was released yesterday and, well, I absolutely have to pick that apart. This is the perfect thing for a blog, no other social media outlet can handle breakdowns of a set checklist, other than, "hey, the checklist is out!"

So, I will begin.

1. Let's start with the SPs.

I've referred to these already, discussing the clamor about the SPs being moved to the first 100 cards of the set rather than the back 100. Where they show up in the set doesn't bother me. The fact that there are SPs, when 1975 Topps had absolutely none -- it was not a set broken up into series -- is what's irksome and exposes Topps as squeezing us for every last dollar. But it's a set that exists in modern times, so there's going to be a lot of disconnect here.

The SPs consist entirely of non-rookie cards. They're all veteran players, which also bothers me. The rookie card hobby obsession is a plague that continues to spread. Heritage, at least in past years, is not a set popular with rookie-hunters, but Topps has to wedge them into everything, and making them easier to pull is not appealing to me. Going through the checklist, I recognize about five of the approximate 90 rookie cards in the set (my eyes began to blur, so it's not an exact count). So I will be collecting cards of players I don't know -- it will be my least favorite part of collecting this set, easily.
 
One of the players listed in the SP portion of the set, the Rangers' Nathan Eovaldi at card No. 82, is not short-printed. I don't know why. However, the Rangers' Leody Taveras, at card No. 407 is short-printed, the only SP not in the first 100 of the set.

The SPs include no Dodgers except for the Freddie Freeman and Clayton Kershaw Highlights cards -- there are seven Highlights cards to start the set, just like in 1975. I can't remember a Heritage set that included just two short-printed Dodgers, so I am going to assume this is Topps Fearing The Wrath Of Night Owl. Notable players in the SP portion include: Gunnar Henderson, Mike Trout, Nolan Arenado and Randy Arozarena. Everyone is recognizable in the SPs, but they're mostly mid-level players/stars.

2. Dodgers in the set
 
Like many team collectors, one of the first things I do when I see a new set checklist is review who from my team in in the checklist. It's pretty straight-forward. However, in the last couple of years, Topps -- in order to attract more collectors to its High Numbers release -- has stashed certain star players in High Numbers, regardless of whether those players switched teams or not. Clayton Kershaw has been a High Numbers resident each of the last two years, and he's played for only one team.
 
This is the checklist for the Dodgers this year:
 
2-Freddie Freeman, Season Highlights (SP)
4-Clayton Kershaw, Season Highlights (SP)
116-Bobby Miller
178-Gavin Lux
187-Emmet Sheehan
232-Tony Gonsolin
248-Freddie Freeman
333-Joe Kelly
356-Will Smith
363-Walker Buehler
371-Shohei Ohtani
377-Amed Rosario
386-Clayton Kershaw
413-James Outman
434-J.D. Martinez
475-Enrique Hernandez
499-Mookie Betts
 
There are also some Dodgers in the MVP subset series, but I'll get to that in a minute.
 
I was relieved that Kershaw was not reserved for High Numbers for a third straight year. I was going through the list from the beginning, so panic started to well up as I didn't see Betts' name until the next-to-last card.
 
The Dodgers, with their offseason moves, have plenty of candidates for High Numbers with Tyler Glasnow, Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Teoscar Hernandez. The most notable missing player from the Heritage team list is Max Muncy. Also, Chris Taylor and Jason Heyward are missing. Meanwhile Joe Kelly is there for some reason, yet it doesn't look like we'll ever get an Evan Phillips card.
 
Amed Rosario and J.D. Martinez are no longer with the Dodgers. I could have told Topps in September that Rosario was not going to be a Dodger in 2024 so I don't know what they're thinking. The major inclusion is Ohtani, who no doubt will feature photoshop action.
 
3. The subsets
 
There are 5 subsets in 1975 Topps -- Highlights, past MVPs, Leaders, the Postseason and Rookie Prospects. Topps is including all except Rookie Prospects in Heritage. I sure wish it would have continued the 4-player Rookie Prospects that it did in 2023 Heritage, it may have cut down on the number of rookie cards forced into the set (but I doubt it).

The MVP subset is the most interesting. It's a 24-card subset, just like 1975 and it uses the same card numbers, from 189 to 212 like '75 did. The subset opens with 1951, just like '75, but then skips around after that, using the years 1957, 1959, 1967, 1971, which also were included in '75, but then going with more modern cards, such as 1975, 1980, 1981, 1986, 1999, 2014, 2022, etc. I'm sure the years used hinged on whether Topps had the rights to use particular players. It will be interesting to see and I'm glad the cards aren't short-printed.

Dodgers included are Roy Campanella (1951), Clayton Kershaw (2014) and Cody Bellinger (2019).

4. Weirdness

The weirdest aspect of the checklist is that there are manager cards in this set.

No, Topps hasn't resurrected the team checklist cards that used to appear in Heritage. You may recall that the manager appeared as an inset photo on the team checklist cards in '75. Instead, Topps is creating random stand-alone manager cards THAT DID NOT EXIST in 1975.

Most of the managers included were active managers that appeared on team checklist cards in the '75 set. All of them are in the Hall of Fame (or will be), which makes me assume it's a licensing thing again, Topps has all the HOF people under contract.

Manager cards (still weird) included are: Sparky Anderson (No. 111), Yogi Berra (123), Dick Williams (134), Whitey Herzog (146), Red Schoendienst (149), Earl Weaver (153), Dusty Baker (283).

There are two managers out-of-kilter with '75. Yogi Berra is listed with the Yankees. He wasn't a Yankees manager until the 1980s. He was the Mets manager in the '75 set. I'm hoping this is a misprint but knowing Topps, it's not. The other oddity is Dusty Baker. He was in the '75 set, but as a player. All of the other managers are listed with the team that they were shown with in '75.

As strange as these are, I'm interested to see them. I often wish all the vintage Topps sets had manager cards, now I get to see what they'd look like in the 1975 set.

5. Card number matching

I haven't had time to go through the checklist and see whether any of the card numbers line  up with 1975 Topps card numbers. That will be more for when I open my first packs. I looked quickly through the Dodgers and didn't notice any matches. James Outman is one card number off from Manny Mota. Geez.

6. Error variations

I normally wouldn't address this because the two variations listed are 1:4081 hobby packs but this is 1975! One is the Royals' Cole Ragans at card No. 120, which was the famed Steve Busby card featuring Fran Healy. So I wonder if a Royals catcher will appear on the Ragans variation? The other card is No. 372 Corbin Carroll. 372 in the '75 set is John D'Acquisto. I don't know any error related to the D'Acquisto card.

7. Inserts

My major focus for Heritage this year is the base set/SP set. Inserts will just get in the way. But since it's 1975, I'm interested in seeing what they look like, especially the Flashbacks cards. Also, the New Age Performers look quite time-appropriate.


I could be collecting that -- and singing The Electric Company theme song while doing so.

8. All-Stars and color combos

This doesn't have anything to do with the checklist because they haven't been revealed yet, but I want to see every single color combination in the Heritage set that appeared in 1975. I will definitely be documenting and if any combo is left out, it will become My New Cause.

I also really hope that there are the yellow-and-red All-Star cards with the large five-pointed star. This was a major part of the collecting experience in 1975 and there will be a big hole in Heritage if they aren't there.

Release date for this set is April 10. I'm glad that I won't have to wait until the end of May like last year. April is a great time for the release of a new set, in fact, there were many times in the '70s when I got my first cards for the year in April.

I realize with Heritage -- even more than ever now -- that I am collecting the design more than the subject matter. The subjects don't really go with the set tribute. I'm hoping the pictures do, although the images of Mike Trout and Elly De La Cruz standing-and-staring don't inspire confidence.

But I'll try to overcome all the modern trappings, like I did last year. This could be the last Heritage set that I go all-out for (though I still do really like the '76, '77, '78 and '79 sets from my kids days). So I'm going to make it count.

Comments

John Bateman said…
The good

Most of the sp are not star players - so the prices should not be too bad to pick up needed players

The quasi bad

The there are a few stars that are missing Guerrero, Bregman, Tatis - the update series seems to be a quasi 2nd series - I just hate waiting getting all the stars players at the end of the season or after the season is over.

The really good - The all-star logo will appear on the cards (for who or how not sure yet)

Zippy Zappy said…
I'm not sure how or why but Kyle Freeland is once again an SP. Hmmm.
buckstorecards said…
I have officially reached the "talk me out of this" time when it comes to going for it.

I'm looking at the prices for last year's hobby boxes, noticing a notable drop, and that might be what convinces me to wait until high# drops, and then just go bonkers.
Brett Alan said…
FWIW, the oversized box loader version of the Berra is listed as a Mets card. I agree that the old-time manager cards make no sense whatsoever here. Very strange.

Elsewhere on the Mets checklist, for the second year in a row there's a newly acquired pitcher on a short-print, this time Luis Severino. Last year it was José Quintana and I didn't get a card of him as a Met until this year's flagship set came out. Hopefully that won't be the case with Severino, but it probably will. Joey Wendle's in the non-short-print part of the checklist, so there's that.
Guess I need to go check out the Braves now.
Don said…
One thing about the checklist that bothers me is the MVP subset cards are not in numerical order. For example, Cabrera won the award in back to back years but the card numbers are not consecutive.
Michael D said…
The only person I know qualified to breakdown the checklist. I know that despite my efforts I will fall for this set and have to collect it too. I'm so weak.
Fuji said…
A. I'm usually pretty neutral in regards to SP's... leaning on the "dislike them" side from time to time. But I really don't like starting the set with them. A 1-400 short set makes more sense to me than a 101-500 short set. Doesn't matter though... my plan is to find a complete set with sp's on eBay eventually.

B. I'm excited to see those manager cards. It's always fun collecting cards of guys like Sparky, Whitey, Weaver, and Williams.

Old Cards said…
Short prints in modern sets - no! Yes, definitely need all-star cards!
Bo said…
You've been waiting for this for so long . . . it's going to be fun reading your reactions over the course of the year.
Jamie Meyers said…
I got hooked into your blog years ago from doing research on the original 1975 set. I have the whole set and over 70% of it signed, continuing to work on that. No way I'm going to collect this or try to get any of it signed but I will enjoy reading about your adventure with this.
No apologies needed. I'll enjoy seeing 1975 cards with a mix of dread because I'll want to buy them all but can't.

Lots of interesting stuff, manager cards good. Same for Flashbacks and news cards.

I considered getting a box but won't be chasing a set given the short prints. I like Fuji's approach but wonder about price (even the buybacks these days have some outrageous price tags).
Berra was also the Yankees' manager in 1964.


"and exposes Topps as squeezing us for every last dollar"
They've been doing that for decades.
Jafronius said…
I'm really hoping you're overall pleased with the release. Also, what are the chances that after you complete the set there'll be a new blog series comparing the 75 set to the 24 set?