Skip to main content

Still waiting


I bought a Topps Project 2020 card.

I know for people who read me only on this blog, that's probably a surprise. I've made really only a couple references to Project 2020 on this space, and I wasn't all that thrilled. I'm just a tad more interested here.

But I know for people who read me over on Twitter, they're now saying, "yeah, I know, you told us that you bought one months ago."

Yup. I did.

Back at the end of June.

I'm still waiting for the card from Topps.

The enthusiasm for the Project 2020 cards, which was at a fever pitch in May and early June, is now almost nonexistent. Twitter used to be crawling with updates on the latest Project 2020 release, whether people liked or disliked it, how much it was selling for, links to ebay sales and so, so, so much that I came very close to blocking "Project 2020," and I never block hobby words.

One of the reasons for the bottom dropping out on the series, aside from speculators basically killing the interest, is that it is taking Topps ages to send out the cards. It has now reverted back to a time when I was a kid and anything that I bought through the mail would take 6-to-8 weeks to deliver. The reasons for this are:

A) We're still in a pandemic, you guys
B) So many people ordered these cards in May and June that it overloaded the circuits.

But I should be getting my card soon.

I've been checking the list of the Project 2020 cards and then looking for updates on whether any collectors received their cards. Yesterday, Sooz announced receiving her Derek Jeter card by artist Ermsy. That card is No. 107 in the series. The card I ordered is No. 114 in the series. Seven cards away!

It's been killing me that I can't show the card. I think it's snazzy and I love the theme.

But, fortunately, someone sent a card that is helping tide me over!


This is a 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax Project 2020 card created by an artist known as "Naturel". (As much as I appreciate art and music, I can never get used to it when people give themselves "professional names").

It was card No. 89 in the series and it was sent to me unannounced by reader R.C.!

Isn't that cool?

I'm not sure how he obtained the card. Maybe, like Sooz, Topps sent him two of the Koufax card instead of the one he ordered. There's all kinds of weird mail stuff going on.

The Koufax card is cool enough. A lot of the artists in this Project 2020 series don't appeal to me, but there are a couple that I like every time I see a new card of theirs. The cards by "Naturel" are all right. He uses geometrical shapes in his creations as you can tell.


That's a clearer picture of it from my camera, instead of a scan. The art work stands out much better here.



R.C. also sent me the Project 2020 packaging!

I was trying to hold off showing this card until I got the Project 2020 card that I ordered. But, come on, it's going on two months now and I've got to get these cards into my collection! They've just been sitting on my card desk stewing!

I'll have more thoughts on the whole Project 2020 thing when my card finally arrives.

Comments

Mine took 8+ weeks. But it eventually made it!
Zippy Zappy said…
Are you going to release it from the magnet holder?
I won't be purchasing any of these Project 2020 cards but I can say that I do appreciate that others enjoy them. This Koufax is a slick looking card though. I also like the Rickey Henderson by BLAKE JAMIESON. The $30 price tag on The Bay is a little too steep for me at the moment though.
night owl said…
@Zippy Zappy ~

Will probably keep them intact. I have display plans.
gcrl said…
114 is a great choice. I've got one on the way as well.
John Sharp said…
I've got a few, and I have a few that are still not here.

I like the simplest cards, and bit do much the weird looking cartoonish cards.

I plan on making a post when they all get here.

Hope your card gets here soon.

Good Job! 👍
Commishbob said…
That Koufax is the only one I have, and it was a gift as well. I like it but it hasn't tempted me to look for any others.
I'll have to wait twenty of so years and scoop any out of the dollar boxes, lol.
Fuji said…
If there's one positive thing about my busy schedule... it's that I haven't really given much thought to the two Project 2020 cards I purchased a little after you. Figure it'll be a nice surprise when they arrive in my mailbox at some point.
Billy Kingsley said…
The writing on it reminds me of ancient Sumerian. It's not, but visually it looks similar.
I got notification that my Gwynn #113 is on its way to me. Hopefully you will get your #114 soon.
GTT said…
I lot of the Project 2020 cards are kind of ugly, but I like that rendition of the '55 Topps Koufax.