Skip to main content

Another nudge


Everyone seems to think I'm collecting the 2020 Heritage set, but I'm still not convinced.

I received yet another massive stack of the set from a fellow blogger and collector, this time Greg from The Collective Mind. Just a few weeks after getting 75 cards from the set from Rod at Padrographs, I received another cool 70-or-so cards from Greg.

So, I'm collecting it, right? I've GOT to be collecting now.

Yeah, I don't know.

After whittling down my want list yet again, here is where I'm at:

6, 8, 11, 16, 20, 38, 43, 51, 52, 54, 55, 59, 66, 68, 86, 87, 90, 93, 105, 109, 114, 115, 118, 119, 123, 124, 125, 127, 129, 131, 140, 153, 157, 159, 161, 168, 170, 172, 177, 183, 188, 189, 190, 193, 199, 206, 212, 234, 236, 238, 245, 254, 257, 265, 274, 281, 286, 287, 300, 304, 310, 321, 324, 328, 333, 336, 338, 339, 341, 348, 356, 369, 373, 379, 382, 387, 389, 397

That is noticeably smaller but it's still a bit disturbing how much I need. And that does not include those 75 short-prints, which is pretty much the answer to the question of "are you collecting Heritage?"

Person on the street: "Are you collecting Heritage?"

Me: "Did they rein in the short-prints to something reasonable?"

The answer to my response is always "no" and therefore I am committed to not collecting it.

The difficulty with 2020 Heritage is it's trotting out the 1971 Topps design. Everybody knows I love this design. I dedicated an entire blog to it -- card by card -- and completed the set while I was operating the blog, which I also completed.

But these are the games that Topps plays. Someone who writes a two-plus years-long tribute to a set should try to collect the Heritage tribute and should be able to complete it ... in a perfect world. But as we know all too well these days, this is not a perfect world. Thanks for your contribution, Topps.

Anyway ...

I'm not going to show all of the cards that Greg sent. You've seen Heritage plenty. Here are a couple of Dodgers:


This will be the Hyun-Jin Ryu Heritage card for 2020. It's weird that he's at the top of a league leaders card but doesn't have his own card. I'm sure this isn't the first time that's happened, but it's strange just the same.



Another one of the Dodgers short-prints (just need Pollock and Buehler now). Interesting that we somehow have a photo that doesn't show Verdugo's tattoos.

I've gone over plenty the Heritage action cards that match up with action cards in the 1971 set. But since it still humors me, here are three more:


An excellent photo match here at card No. 78, although not the same player at all.



The Royals have lots of action shots in the 1971 set, so it follows that the current Royals do, too. Both of these players share card No. 299.



A little disappointed with this one at card No. 393 as Santander is not on the bases. I've liked the Merv Rettenmund card since I saw it as a kid. Check out that crazy perfect signature.

This was actually the second package that I've received from Greg within a short period of time. The earlier package contained a handful of Dodgers needs.

I appreciate these cards because I can tell he made a concerted effort of going through my incomplete want lists. That extra effort always deserves a mention.


That's some good stuff right there ('52 Pafko makes an appearance on two straight posts, but not the same card!). Well, I'm not sure I'd consider that Panini Elite Extra junk "good stuff," I don't know why I put that on my want lists. Ralston Cash never played for the Dodgers, or made the majors. Yet I have cards of him in my binders. I'll learn someday.

I do especially appreciate the "Wild Horse" Panini Puig card. It's nice for a card to recognize a Vin Scully nickname.

So, anyway, if you've got extra 2020 Heritage cards to distribute, I'd suggest you contact someone like Greg, who is seriously chipping away at it in a serious attempt to complete it.

Me?

Who knows what I'm doing.

But I'll always take your cards.

Comments

Zippy Zappy said…
HARK! A KEIBERT RUIZ APPEARANCE!
People are nice with distributing cards.
Commishbob said…
Yup, nice looking cards. But as a 'completist' collecting it would obviously mean playing Topps' 'game' of phony scarcity. Not happening. I may get one or two for my fantasy baseball binder (if and when we draft teams) but only because I like variety in that collection. /oldguyrant
Fuji said…
I'm praying to the Cardboard Gods that Topps will dump their SP's for the 2021 Heritage set. It's one that I've been waiting for, but I'm going to cheat and buy a complete set on eBay.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Just sticking my head in here to say that Koufax headlines a couple 1967 Topps League Leaders cards but isn't in that set.
night owl said…
Yeah, I knew it was somebody like that. ;)
Heritage has consistently ranked as one of my favorite products, but ever since 2019, for some reason, I haven't been super into it. Yes, Topps is still doing a pretty nice job replicating the vintage sets, but it simply doesn't have the same appeal it once did.