Skip to main content

Achievement unlocked


Today, I reached what is sure to be one of the card collecting highlights of my year.

With the arrival of this 1958 Topps Sandy Koufax card, I have finished an almost 40-year quest to complete the career run of Koufax's cards in Topps flagship.

This is an accomplishment that I didn't take seriously for many years and didn't become a realistic goal for me until around 2015 when I obtained three Koufax cards that summer.

But, truthfully, I was working with some advantages early on.

First, and most importantly, I acquired Koufax's 1955 rookie card when I was in high school in the early 1980s. That card, even in the battered shape that mine is in, has increased in cost exponentially as Koufax's legend has grown.

Second, I became interested in Koufax vintage cards almost from the moment I started looking into vintage cards. And, at one or two of the first card shows I ever attended, I bought Koufax cards.

Finally, this wouldn't be possible without the generous gifts of fellow bloggers and collectors.

Here are some notables as it pertains to my completed Koufax quest and those cards:


FIRST KOUFAX CARD OBTAINED


It was Koufax's last solo card in the 1966 set. I don't fully remember how I wound up with this card, I believe it came cheaply at a card show when I was a teenager, which would make sense as I wouldn't have the cash back then for anything more pristine. But I've kept good care of it since.

It's interesting to me that you can barely see the hat logo on both the first and last Koufax cards I acquired.


FAVORITE KOUFAX CARD


If that black-and-white inset photo on the 1963 card was in color, '63 might move ahead of the 1965 card, but for me, 1965 Koufax is Koufax at his most supreme. He was on top of the world as far as ability in '65 and the pitcher's stare on a classic design clinches it for me.


SCHOOL TRADE KOUFAX


We sure were high-rollers back then, huh?

I can't for the life of me remember anymore what I traded to the kid to get this Koufax rookie card. He certainly didn't give it to me for free, I know that. For years, I undervalued this. Lots of creases and tape on the side to hold together a mangled edge. But in my years as a blogger, I've come to grow very fond of this card and realize how lucky I am to have it.


MY FIRST BIG-PURCHASE KOUFAX


That would be the signed 1961 Topps card. I've written about this card many times so I'm not going to go into why I'm certain it was definitely signed by him. I bought this for what was surely all of my newspaper carrier money from a card show dealer in around 1981 or 1982. When you make that kind of commitment at such a young age, I think you've GOT to become a lifelong collector.


OTHER KOUFAX'S I ACQUIRED MYSELF


The 1962 card came around 2011, the 1965 in 2013, the 1960 in early 2015 and the 1959 in late summer of 2015. The 1957 showed up in late 2019 and the 1958 card arrived today.

Interestingly, not one of these cards was purchased at a card show. Every single one came from online sources. When it comes to high-stratosphere players, like Koufax, I get a little intimidated negotiating with a dealer, and truthfully, I think I can find better prices elsewhere online. And that's what I did.


KOUFAX'S THAT WERE GENEROUS GIFTS


The 1963 came from R.C. and the 1964 from Commish Bob, like a month apart! I remember receiving the 1956 card unexpectedly in the mail maybe six or seven years ago, but I can't find reference to it on my blog right now.

Koufax remains one of my favorite players ever and this is an achievement that I would never dare to think possible even 10 years ago.

Although I do have many of Koufax's other playing days cards -- the league leader cards and the combo cards, the oddball issues and the 1963 Fleer -- there's still a little more work to do. I'm not a completist by any means on this. But I'd like to get a little more.

But, for now -- for quite awhile actually -- this will tide me over:


Yay!

Comments

Old Cards said…
A great collection. One of the best pitchers ever and a really nice guy to boot. Not that I know him personally. I'm am just going by his interviews before and after games that I saw as a kid. Not arrogant or cocky,even though he could have been with his talent level. Really nice looking cards.
Holy wow, Batman. This is incredible. Congrats! What a feat! I gave my 1961 Topps Koufax, along with Duke Snider, to my father recently. I got them in the mid-80s myself. So I understand what it is to gift something like this.
arpsmith said…
Congratulations! Awesome centerpiece to your collection. Even a Giants fan can appreciate his greatness
acrackedbat said…
what a gorgeous crop of cards! The last photo background really shows off this lot. Nice job lining them up too! Congrats!
Mark Hoyle said…
Congrats Greg. That’s a great run of cards
Elliptical Man said…
Congrats. You certainly chose a good player to collect.
Adam Kaningher said…
Nice accomplishment! Congrats.
gcrl said…
Congrats! It really is a great feeling to complete this run. Maybe someday we can both add the 1967 venezuelan "retirado" card to our collections!
bbcardz said…
Congrats on huge accomplshment! Awesomeness all around!
jacobmrley said…
That is an amazing and satisfying run of cards.

That rookie card is glorious and don't ever let anyone tell you any different. If you were to suddenly have a PSA 9 it would never replace that beauty.
Nachos Grande said…
Awesome! It's also kind of nice to see a full run of cards of a player without parallels, relics, etc. Congrats!
Nick Vossbrink said…
Congrats. Nice to complete a run of any HoFer. Impressive when it's one of the legends like Koufax. One of these days I'll get a solo card of his but I have other fish to fry first. I do love that 1958 though with the barely-visible B on his cap that Topps didn't bother to try and turn into an LA.
steelehere said…
Congrats. Now you just have to get the 1975 Topps Koufax/Howard 1963 MVP’s buyback card (if it even exists).
Congratulations! That is awesome!
Jafronius said…
Congratulations! That is a great looking group of cards!
GTT said…
Wow. That's pretty great.
gregory said…
Wow, congratulations! As someone who just got back into collecting a few years ago, some of these Koufax cards are still a bit out of my league. But crossing the flagship run off your list must have you walking on air.
You may now breathe. Congrats Greg!
Fuji said…
Congratulations! That is quite the feat. My favorite would be the 1956... but 1965 is right behind it. Are you actively working on any other Topps flagship career runs right now?
Angus said…
That's awesome! Congratulations!
night owl said…
@Fuji ~

I don't really focus on career run collections. The Koufax run is a natural result of my quest to complete Dodgers team sets, speaking of which, I completed the 1958 Topps team set, too, with this card.
friend11 said…
Your 1st Koufax is my favorite. Because I collect players "sunset" cards, the 66 is in my collection as well.
Captain Canuck said…
very sweet. I'm not a fan of the '61 set. Waaaaay too many big giant heads. But I like the Koufax. Good pose, nice photo.
That is extremely cool! I can't even imagine having all of that! I love the pic of them all together. I have only one playing days Koufax in my collection, but it's the 58! The one you got last! Maybe I will collect him in the reverse order that you did. I know I'd definitely get the RC last!
Bo said…
Very very cool. If you ever go back to having a header graphic for your blog, that last photo should be it.
Nick said…
Congrats! I'd love to get all of Koufax's cards as well one day...but that day is probably well in the future, as my oldest Koufax as of this writing is from 1960.
Robert said…
Well done.

Nothing more needs to be said.